24 year old trying to get to millionaire by 35, punch holes in me plan

AirJordan said:
Second, can somebody suggest something I should do to invest BESIDES indexing, which I have problems with. I.e. can i see what kind of portfolio you are using, and what I should do besides sell everything active managed and put it all in VTSMX.

I would stick with an index portfolio unless you want to learn a lot about accounting, finance and portfolio management and start buying individual securities.

bright eyed said:
why said "wunderkind" needed someone to verify if he could make $1 mill by 35 given his input/year and age? He could put it in an online savings at 4 or 5% and get close if not there - so i vote TROLL!

my daughter is learning to count w/ her fingers in preschool if you want to sit in...they will do percentages soon.

I stopped wondering about this wunderkind a while ago. If this guy is a lawyer, then it's bad news for humanity. I doubt he has finished high school. I don't think you want him in your daughter's class, it's not good for morale, nor tact, nor learning.

Sam said:
I stopped wondering about this wunderkind a while ago. If this guy is a lawyer, then it's bad news for humanity. I doubt he has finished high school. I don't think you want him in your daughter's class, it's not good for morale, nor tact, nor learning.

Haverford Class of 2003, Tulane Law Class of 2006. Yep I finished them, I'll even give you my email and name if you want to chekc up on me

AirJordan said:
And if you want to know what I do, I graduated law school at 23, yeah I'm a wunderkind of sorts, and do title analysis for a big oil company (won't say which one). Yipes other message boards were much nicer than this one

AirJordan said:
Haverford Class of 2001, Tulane Law Class of 2004. Yep I finished them, I'll even give you my email and name if you want to chekc up on me

You most certainly are a wunderkind (of sorts). Your ability to graduate in 2004 from law school at age 23 is amazing. The fact that now, over two years later, you are only 24 is simply unbelievable (literally). With that ability to bend facts as you see fit, I think you should have a very successful career as an attorney (until the Bar's ethics board catches up with you).

Now I understand why you fully expect to obtain 12-14% returns - you are a math genius! Prolly got a PhD in Mathematics from some 3rd tier college, too, huh?

AirJordan said:
Besides indexing please...

Oh, that's easy. Find some low cost, low turnover, tax efficient funds with successful managers that won't change their strategy when they shouldn't and will keep managing the fund forever. In addition, a good risk-adjusted "long term" track record.

-CC

HaHa said:
When you boys gonna tire of bitch-slappin' this guy?

Probably when he quits making it so easy and so much fun!

Really, you guys are cracking me up, but then again, what do I know, I'm a loser who didn't even graduate from law school until I was 24!!!!!!!

shiny said:
Really, you guys are cracking me up, but then again, what do I know, I'm a loser who didn't even graduate from law school until I was 24!!!!!!!

At least you went to a 1st tier school. ;) That makes up for your dallying around.

AirJordan said:
Ok 2 things, the title of this thread is misleading. If I just save 65k a year, and put it in a money market I'll easily be a millionaire by 35. So that's not my problem.

And whose fault was that particular misunderstanding, Mr. "I don't need yer advice even tho' I'm askin'" Wonderboy? Obviously, you need to find someone to blame it on - it sure can't be you, right?

I'm thinkin' that when you tell the guy "puts" and you really meant "calls", they might be even less understanding towards your communication plight, than us supposedly loser "haystackers". ::)

Oh yeah, you are a real financial world-shaker alright... :-[

I tremble in anticipation of your next amazing pronouncement... :D

AirJordan said:

Okay, I know this guy, "Guido".

You put it on the street, and the vig....

Oops, never mind, just one of your little verbal slip ups, or attitude spurts, and you might not be lookin' quite so pretty anymore -- so let's forget that route.

And, tell me again why the world should be at your service to figure out how to make a little twit like you wealthy, when you supposedly have it all figured out already? I musta forgot, cause it doesn't seem first on my personal "To do" list any longer ... :LOL: :LOL:

Okay - I'm back - soooo - whose skins and whose shirts. Any volunteers to put on a Green Wave shirt and go to the swamp in Baton Rouge and yell 'go to hell Lsuuuuu!'.

Googled up Guru focus: the Buffett watch - United Health Care, US gypsum, Ingersol Rand, US Bancorp, Iron Mountain,Target, Lowes, Nike, Johnson and Johnson, GE, Sanofi -Adventis, good old Budweiser and a few more.

I'm gonna take the dogs to the park - let me know when we make our million - faster than eleven years I hope.

heh heh heh

Probably going to really regret this post.

But, I'm not certain we show anymore maturity than AJ. Reading the posts, we certainly match his insult with 10 of our own.

HelpMeRhonda said:
Probably going to really regret this post.

But, I'm not certain we show anymore maturity than AJ. Reading the posts, we certainly match his insult with 10 of our own.

No it's ok, after 11 pages of this futile thread, I've basically come to this conclusion about early-retirement investment strategies

Stocks are clearly the best way to go
after that Index funds
and waaaaaaaaaay behind those two options are Actively managed?

Did I sum up your ideologies correctly?

AirJordan said:
No it's ok, after 11 pages of this futile thread, I've basically come to this conclusion about early-retirement investment strategies

after that Index funds

Oh, of course! As was pointed out to you earlier ( :confused: ) , there is but a single monolith here, with only one position, and only one voice. :LOL:

Just exactly what demon is it you are you fightin', son?

Ham.
Madam, how like you this play?

Queen.
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

AirJordan said:

How come you did not look at the #1 managed fund in the early '80s which every one wanted to buy as it was so good...and now it is below average...

Fidelity Magellan...

So, which fund will outperform in the next 10 years:confused: Dont' know...

AirJordan said:

after that Index funds

I don't even know where to begin. Evidently the third tier law school you went to didn't insist on reading comprehension skills.

AirJordan said:

after that Index funds

I'm bored. Here's my ideology on investments:

Individual stocks have uncompensated risks. End of story. Or I could go on endlessly with trading expenses, bid-ask spread, the "hassle" of trading, etc.

Most actively managed funds have something about them that I don't like. High turnover, high expenses, stupid manager moves, style drift, etc.

Any of this mean anything to you? Lets start with this small bite.

Do you realize what you're up against, is all I'm asking. Ask any driver. Does he/she think they're a below average driver?

-CC

Hmmm... Dodge and Cox is international emerging markets... I got Vanguard Emerging Markets INDEX...

Winners...

3 months... D&C
6 months Vanguard
1 year D&C
2 year Vanguard
5 year Vanguard
"Max" (from 2001) Vanguard... looks like about 155% to 130%

I can see where that active management has given you so much more money...

WRONG, D&C is LCV International, NOT EMERGING MARKETS, only about 20% of it is emerging markets. So I would hardly classify it as such

AirJordan said:
Try comparing DODFX to VGTSX, who's the winner now?

Round and round we go.

Sharpe Ratio mean anything to you? Know who Fama and French were/are and what they did? Read any of the last 11 pages. Hilarious.

"I say is any of this gettin' through to ya boy?" - Foghorn Leghorn.

-CC

AirJordan said:
WRONG, D&C is LCV International, NOT EMERGING MARKETS, only about 20% of it is emerging markets. So I would hardly classify it as such

Heh, maybe on the closing day of the last quarterly report. In the meantime, who knows what is in it?

CCdaCE said:
Round and round we go.

Sharpe Ratio mean anything to you? Know who Fama and French were/are and what they did? Read any of the last 11 pages. Hilarious.

"I say is any of this gettin' through to ya boy?" - Foghorn Leghorn.

-CC

Means something to me.............. :LOL: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom