401k tool for IBM refugees

I was still in IBM's 401k until just before I retired. At that point, the money would have been "stuck" until 59 1/2, so I moved it to the current company and it became available in "the year I turned 55". I wonder how many IBM'ers there are here.

I was still in IBM's 401k until just before I retired. At that point, the money would have been "stuck" until 59 1/2, so I moved it to the current company and it became available in "the year I turned 55". I wonder how many IBM'ers there are here.

I did the same thing recently. Moved my IBM 401k (Fidelity) into my current companies 401k (Prudential). I’ll be 55 next year, so at least I can access should I get fed up. Lol

Mine is still with IBM 401k (Fidelity) - just left IBM last year. I plan to keep it there for the Stable fund.

Mine is still with IBM 401k (Fidelity) - just left IBM last year. I plan to keep it there for the Stable fund.
The stable value fund is also the primary reason I keep the 401k, though that rate is falling too. Insurance company wrap contracts are not high on my desired asset list.

Ex-IBMer here. I rolled that stuff over to an IRA. Same with the little pension I had with them. I don't trust them :)

I transferred mine out when I left 5'ish years ago.

Leaving IBM was one of the best decisions of my life :)

Last edited:
As far as fees go ibms 401k is pretty good. Lots of investment choices too.

I would never move it to an IRA but I can see how some would move it to new employer to be able to retire at 55 and have access to it.

Everyone’s pension at ibm is different but for me it paid out over 7% vs the cash balance option at 53 years old with j&s option. It was a no brainer to take the pension.

The stable value fund is also the primary reason I keep the 401k, though that rate is falling too. Insurance company wrap contracts are not high on my desired asset list.
After the 401k transfer from IBM/Fidelity into the megacorp/Hewitt 401k, then bailing from the j*b at 54, I thought about pulling it out to a tIRA, but the stable value is what's keeping me there. The web access at AON Hewitt is absolutely horrific, but I have to just live with it.

After the 401k transfer from IBM/Fidelity into the megacorp/Hewitt 401k, then bailing from the j*b at 54, I thought about pulling it out to a tIRA, but the stable value is what's keeping me there. The web access at AON Hewitt is absolutely horrific, but I have to just live with it.

moot point since it's not available to others, but how much did the AON Hewitt stable value return last year? the IBM/Fidelity stable value did 3.03% in 2018.

I'll have to look that up, but the last rate sheet had it at 3.85% for the upcoming month.

moot point since it's not available to others, but how much did the AON Hewitt stable value return last year? the IBM/Fidelity stable value did 3.03% in 2018.
The SVF in AON Hewitt was 3.72% after fees. The way I got that number was just doing an XIRR on my personal balance, which of course has the fees taken out.

The SVF in AON Hewitt was 3.72% after fees. The way I got that number was just doing an XIRR on my personal balance, which of course has the fees taken out.
Almost sad when an extra 0.7% can make one jealous... :LOL:

3.72% is a pretty awesome return given current short term rates. Almost awesome enough to make me nervous if I was in the fund.

If it were a fly by night company, I'd be worried, but it's a big house holding 401k for for a fortune 50 company, so if it does default, I'll have plenty of company :)

No, what’s sad is the delta with my mega 401k SVF which only pays ~2% and I’m definitely jealous.
At ~2% I'd roll it to an IRA and buy a 3.15% 10yr CD (or something else).

Back
Top Bottom