49 and FIREing at last!

Bobloblaw

Confused about dryer sheets
Been a member for a while, but never introduced myself. Now's the time!

49 YO and ready to go! Talked to my boss last week and set a date for March. He was not surprised since I took a 3 month LOA last year as a sort of test drive. I've been back working since September waiting on a few things to sort themselves out as well as get past some key dates for bonuses and stock vesting.

I was a little anxious about the discussion- it's hard turning down easy money, but time is greater than money. Ready to get on with with rest of our lives!

He did tell me that he would like me to take a LOA until February 2023, allowing another year of stock vesting plus I would continue subsidized employee benefits. Only thing better is if they just paid me a severance package, but that won't happen without a corporate or department wide RIF. I qualify for subsidized retiree health insurance, but it still costs about $10k/yr more than the employee version. So the LOA is appreciated plus it keeps a door open in the off chance I change my mind.

So that's me in a nutshell. Looking forward to spending time with DW and kids (one still in college, one graduated last year) and spending more time on fitness and hobbies. Based on my 3 month sabbatical, I am mentality ready. I was seldom busy and surprisingly never bored and started to cultivate new friendships!

Congratulations! It’s wonderful that your boss recommended a LOA. I look forward to hearing about your retirement journey.

Sounds like a great situation to be in.
Welcome to the start of the best part of your life.

Congratulations! You are a little ahead of me on your time line to stop working, so I look forward to hearing how the transition goes. Fabulous that you’re being offered a leave of absence to stay on company medical, etc.

"I was a little anxious about the discussion- it's hard turning down easy money, but time is greater than money. Ready to get on with rest of our lives!"

I feel this!! Sounds like the best possible outcome. Congratulations! One of my clients once told me "retirement is the Friday night of life" Welcome to Friday!! :dance:

Welcome (pending couple months) to the retirement life. Sounds like your boss has a good idea, and is working to help you out. With your test drive last year, you are mentally ready, so get through the next couple months and then join the retirees club.

Congrats! I'm 49 as well and will be joining the club soon. Sounds like you have a good boss, unlike many of the FIRE stories I read about here.

Congrats! I'm 49 as well and will be joining the club soon. Sounds like you have a good boss, unlike many of the FIRE stories I read about here.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations and feedback. I do have a very understanding boss, plus there are some extenuating circumstances in my personal life which justified last year's LOA. It took about 6 weeks into that before I really felt "I can do this!" So, I mentally set a date then and began repeating my plans to friends and family. That made it feel real.

I had told my boss last July that these were my plans, but left out specific dates. Funny thing was, he never brought up it for the past 6 months!

That is great to be able to retire at that age. Congratulations.

Your boss deserves a really nice bottle of champagne, come February, 2023!

-BB

That is a GREAT point! I negotiated a "package" for someone who worked for me about 5 years ago and he promised a dinner anywhere, including the French Laundry (we're both wine lovers). Unfortunately, he moved away before I could take him up on it.

Now, my boss is Muslim... gotta think of something appropriate.

Made it official... my LOA-->retirement plans were approved by HR and senior management! Last day of w*rk will be February 28, then burn off about 6 weeks of PTO. Close the laptop and call my (ex) boss April of 2023 and switch over to retirement!

Congrats!!! What are your preliminary plans for the perpetual Friday night of retirment? Hobbies?

Congrats!!! What are your preliminary plans for the perpetual Friday night of retirment? Hobbies?

W*rk already eats into my hobby time! Can't wait to get that monkey off my back. I've taken up cycling and increasing my rides from the 30-50 mile range to 60-100 is a near term goal. N+1 rule of bikes is pushing me to buy a mountain bike and I have a few 200+ mile bikepacking trips already planned. Wine making and drinking is always fun and DW and I belong to several local wine clubs. Sometimes I w*rk with the winemakers for a few "free" bottles.

During a 3 month LOA last year, I never got bored... didn't spend time in front of the TV!

Congrats! What fantastic news...I always love these!

I have started (re)watching Arrested Development. It seems better the second time around. I do wish there was more Bobloblaw in it, though! ;)

Back
Top Bottom