5 Things You Didn’t Know About Hot Dogs

Nathans brand is wonderful.
Costco ones are hard to beat, too, with sauerkraut, mustard!

For those that do not like boiled hotdogs, you must never of had a New York Sabrett hotdog from the street vendors:LOL:

Anyhow, I do like grilled dogs with mustard and relish, no bun.

Attachments

• Sabrett_logo.png
    Sabrett_logo.png
    23 KB · Views: 187
What's wrong with offal, as long as it doesn't taste bad?

It's not bad for you.

Sausages are a time-honored traditional way of making use of many parts left over from slaughtering an animal. If it tastes great - then enjoy!

For those that do not like boiled hotdogs, you must never of had a New York Sabrett hotdog from the street vendors:LOL:

+1 on the NYC Sabrett dog.

What's wrong with offal, as long as it doesn't taste bad?

It's not bad for you.

You must be Scottish. Haggis is great stuff! Maybe on a hot dog bun too. And for dessert followed by deep fried snickers bar. :D Don't watch this if you are not into traditional exotic foods or squeamish.

Cheers!

I used to work at an Oscar Meyer plant while in college and will never get the image out of my brain of the hot dog section. Pure white fat (with some meat??) getting squeezed out of fittings to go into the cookers.

I prefer to get natural wieners in the casings as they most likely have some meat in them.

Kosher hot dogs only, for us. I figure they have to answer to a higher authority!

Hebrew National all beef dogs on the grill. Served in a bun with nothing but mustard. Mmmmmm.

I recall many years ago in high school the hot dogs were boiled and had a greenish tinge to them...

That just means they didn't contain nitrites.

Many (most? all?) hotdog packagings nowadays have the words "No nitrites or nitrates added".

What they use is celery juice, a 100% natural ingredient which does have nitrites. Nitrites exist in many common vegetables. Nitrites are not bad unless they react with protein to form nitrosamines, and the latter are carcinogenic.

This brings up a question: if nitrites are bad in meat, is it harmful to eat celery or other vegetables with meat together in a meal as they get mixed inside the stomach?

It was found that nitrosamines are formed under high heat (grilled hot dogs, anyone?). But then, it was also found that the presence of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) inhibits the formation of nitrosamines.

And all cured meats now have ascorbic acid added along with celery juice.

No-Nitrates-@540.jpg

OK, I'll bite. What's in them?

If you bite and chew, you should know what's in them.

All the natural stuff that's normally inside a rat. Oui?

During college I had a summer job working at the local Eckrich plant. I'd rather not eat any processed meats if I don't have to. :(

_B

During college I had a night job working at a distribution facility for a regional supermarket chain. That experience taught me to scrub thoroughly any store-bought produce and not assume any plastic tub of food has never hit the floor.

That's a good question. Pork or beef wieners ?

I prefer all pork. It's what I grew up with and it still tastes better to me than a mix or all beef ones (chicken or turkey is sacrilegious !)

That's a good question. Pork or beef wieners ?

I prefer all pork. It's what I grew up with and it still tastes better to me than a mix or all beef ones (chicken or turkey is sacrilegious !)

Grew up with all beef hot dogs and still my preference. Boars Head and Hebrew National are my favorites.
But yes pork for many other eats.

Once or twice a year I'll get a package of Nathan's hot dogs. They're all beef, and growing up in Brooklyn (home of the original Nathan's in Coney Island) they were always my favorite.

Of course, the most important issue hasn't been solved yet:

Why do hot dogs come 10 to a package while the buns come in packages of 8?

It's so that you can enjoy 2 bunless hot dogs.

OK, I'll bite. What's in them?

Our driver did say that they gut them and then boil and salt them but I just took his word for it.

I remember a documentary from many years ago about a biologist who wanted to prove that large predators like wolves could survive on a diet of only mice so he spent an entire winter in a tent (more or less buried in snow) eating only mice.... he made a joke of all the ways he could 'prepare' them. He survived. I'm not sure if he started out sane so can't comment on his mental state afterwards!

Only way to eat a dog is Chicago style - poppy seed bun, fresh tomato, fresh onion, yellow mustard, a bit of piccadilly and, of course, 2 or 3 sport peppers. Truly a taste of Chicago.

Oh, I had to enlarge the picture to see that it's rodents on sticks. Un-eviscerated, I'll bet. With all applicable parts....:sick:

Why do hot dogs come 10 to a package while the buns come in packages of 8?

This is so that you can slice up two of the hot dogs, and fry them in a skillet with a bunch of scrambled eggs. Maybe include some veggies and cheese and so on.

This is so that you can slice up two of the hot dogs, and fry them in a skillet with a bunch of scrambled eggs. Maybe include some veggies and cheese and so on.

Yup. Onions in the veggie list. Some garlic - keep away the vampires. Maybe some taters for a breakfast spread. One skillet meal. :smitten:

Reactions: W2R
Oh, I had to enlarge the picture to see that it's rodents on sticks. Un-eviscerated, I'll bet. With all applicable parts....:sick:
Well, looking at what people around the world eat, I think hot dogs are just wonderful good-looking tasty things.

I used to work as a NYC central park horse-drawn cab driver. I grew up in the country, north of NYC, right next door (1/2 mile between houses) to the guy who owned half of the carriages and went to school with two of his sons. I had an in to get the job. It was a horrible introduction to City-Life. I was 18.

The Greeks owned all the Sabrett hot dog wagons. People who work on the street take care of each other. I often bought dogs from the guy who was always on the corner at 5th Ave and Central Park's lower street, where most of the carriages where to be found. I told him that I really enjoyed them. He started to give me two dogs on a roll at once for the regular price. I started to tell my customer's to be sure to have a hot dog to complete their NYC experience (Most of our customers were tourists during the day shift). The nice Greek hot dog man would give me 5 pr 6 hot dogs without buns, right from the water when he closed up for the night for free. He told me that they only counted the rolls to see how many he had sold! I still love them to this day and as a young poor person, I am and always be, grateful.

Mike D.

Back
Top Bottom