55+ Community - Near the Clubhouse or Further Away?

Think it will be noisy?

I live in a mostly retired community (place built 2000, Las Vegas) with 2 pools and a clubhouse. It is dead quiet almost all the time. Old people are pretty quiet!!

Old people have grand kids that visit. That is what we found produced the most noise.

We lived in an apartment for a short while facing the pool. I thought it would make us feel more connected to the community but instead it was just loud. The smells from the bbq would make us hungry too. I would want the one with the best view and afternoon shade on the patio. I’d rather buy one already finished with adult trees so you know what it be like.

We don't plan on living in anything other than our single family house in a like neighborhood. The lots in this area average about 110 x 110. Our neighbors are respectful and fairly quiet.

The only noise we get is from our backyard neighbor who has children and friends over to enjoy their pool and outdoor TV for sports and to party. It isn't all the time and there is a high privacy fence so I don't mind unless we are trying to enjoy some quiet relaxing in our yard.

However, that is nothing like having a house near a community pool. There will be noise every day during the hours it is open You will never be able to get away from that noise. Do they allow evening parties there? Can you sound proof the house?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Don't know if it matters or if you've already considered it, builders usually build from the main entrance first, then toward the outer reaches last.
If you've selected a site further (from the current construction), it may delay the completion date of your unit.

I think I would lean towards #2, especially is it is a short walk to the clubhouse.

We are about a 2 min walk to the clubhouse and that seems ideal. Our lanai looks out on one of the greens of the golf course and that is visual entertainment but not noisy other than the greenskeeping staff going about in the morning and periodic mowing.

We have some friends and they live near the pool and the pool pumps are a frequent noisy drone that would be annoying to me.

tl;dr A firm NO to living next to a pool or on the corner of a feeder street. Construction will end eventually and should end much quicker if the community is being built by a company with sufficient financial resources.

We're not in a 55+ community, but I can offer a bit of relevant info on our experience. In 1996 we built our house on the corner of a cul-de-sac street at what was then the last edge of a new development. The traffic that regularly passed by our house was mainly from the residents of our street. 2 years later they built a house on the last empty lot directly across from us and started tearing down trees to extend the street through. We lived right on the edge of a construction zone for a year or 2 after that with all the associated hammering, banging, and rumbling of heavy construction equipment being driven down the road right next to our house starting at 7 AM in the summer. Even when the building got further away from our house, the road beside our house was the only through street in the development to use to bring in their heavy equipment. During the financial collapse around 2009, construction came to a halt. Lots stood empty for several years. A sure sign that things had finally turned around was when the construction equipment started rumbling past our house again. In the meantime though, the local noise ordinance had changed to no noise before 8 AM, so at least it didn't start quite so early. They finished up building on all the lots in 2017. That's 21 years of building, with a few years hiatus because of the last economic collapse.

Granted, the local builder in charge of this development hasn't got deep pockets like the larger national/regional builders. In contrast, a larger developer is putting up houses in a brand new 55+ community just a 5 minute drive away. They're going up faster than you can blink and construction on them continued when most other businesses had to shut down in the spring.

I don't have construction equipment passing right by my house anymore, but since we're more towards the beginning of the development now than the end of it, we get a lot of residential traffic passing by all throughout the day. What seemed like it would be a quiet corner in the beginning has turned out to be anything but that for us, since our corner is what I think is referred to as the feeder street for the rest of the development. They never built another through street. Sure, it's not like living on a main street, but it's a far cry from only having traffic associated with your street neighbors passing through. Live and learn.

About pools - When we chose our lot, we didn't know that the neighbor diagonally adjoining in back ran a daycare out of her home. :facepalm: How could we? She has no sign advertising it. She had an above-ground swimming pool behind a privacy fence, but so do other families around here for their personal use. After we moved in, I became quite aware of all the excess of noise coming from her house in the summer. A few years later, she replaced the pool with a huge in-ground pool. Bigger pool, more kids, and she expanded her hospitality to include local teenagers using her pool during the summer. All. Day. Long. With a weekend or two where she'd allow late night swimming. Until recent years, it's been like living right next to a local municipal public pool. The difference now is that she's taken in fewer kids, mainly because of the aging of the neighborhood. Most of the kids in the neighborhood are now young adults. So the noise level from her house has gone down quite a bit, thankfully. She's a nice woman and she hasn't violated any local noise ordinances, so it's just something we've had to put up with since living here.

I lived in a 55 community for several years . Our house was one block from the clubhouse but it did have a small lake behind it . The location was ideal .

Choice #1 has a $16K premium, choice #2 is $6,500 and choice #3 is $14K

I know apartment complexes always charge you more to rent near the pool and usually the same for a hotel. Might be good for resale to be close to the clubhouse. I've lived near club houses and away from club houses and I would choose to live close

I would have to go with house #4. Next to the clubhouse is incredibly noisy. While #2 would not be noisy, having your backyard back up to one house is not ideal either. While #3 seems like a bad choice because of the distance, its actually a bad choice because you have no idea what you are going to be backing up to. Could be another house someday, a walmart, or subsidized apartments. For me, backing up to a pond or lake, nature preserve, golf course or something like that is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom