55+ senior community for those UNDER 55

CaliKid

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I feel like this question has to have been asked before but I can't find a thread.

Going to officially fire this year or next. Will be 55'ish but my young bride will only be 50'ish. Plus, I have to admit I am pretty juvenile at times. Lol.

Currently live in a nice community of all ages though it skews older. There just are not a lot of activities here in the community. Looking at a 55+ community that is about 1/2 sold so far. So the clubhouse is built and all that but only about 50-60% built out it appears.

I understand they allow a certain percentage of under 55's in most communities (at least here in Nevada). I also understand there are spouses who are under 55 with their spouse being 55+ and/or the older spouse died. I am curious what life is like for a couple of "youngsters."

I don't mind being in the minority, age wise, but just curious if any of you living in a 55+ have seen it. Or perhaps some of you who FIREd moved in at or before 55.

TIA

From my parents experience when shopping a few years back, no matter what, you will be a rare sight under 60. Since you'll be in a brand new community, it will skew younger than the average one. For example, when you move into a 20-yr old 55+, most of the residents have been there 20 years, so yeah, the math.

My parents ended up in a <10 year old community, and at 75 they seem to be about average. Not many under 65's.

Of course, every place is different. Depends on the area of the country as well. And depends on how much you need your immediate neighbors to be your social life.

We're still too young for it, but when I hear the ear-piercing shrieks of the 4 year old banshee next door and her brother "playing", I do think well...there are benefits to a 55+...

We lived in a +55 community for 13 years. We did not pay too much attention to things as we were traveling quite a bit. Well, now that we spent two years during the lockdown, we realized it was like a ghost town.
We are now living in a beautiful apartment across from the beach. We have befriended many of the people here, who are much younger than us.
There is always some activity here or at the beach.
We are in the process of fixing up the old place to sell. In the meantime I go there once a week to weed or take care of other things. Driving through, I rarely see anyone.

I am curious what life is like for a couple of "youngsters."
I don't mind being in the minority, age wise, but just curious if any of you living in a 55+ have seen it. Or perhaps some of you who FIREd moved in at or before 55.

TIA

We moved into a similarly developed (40% built out) 55+ in 2015. I was 58 and DW 55. I was still working (telecommuting) and DW had just retired. We were definitely in the minority age-wise, but have not found that a problem at all. As the community has grown, more 50-somethings have moved in so it’s not as unusual. We’re about 75% built out now. I retired in the first year we were here, sooner than planned, with no regrets. My sport is cycling and we have a great group of riders from our community and a neighboring community. North central Florida is horse country and there are hundreds of miles of excellent paved roads for cycling through the horse farms. The amenities offered by the community are many and varied. It is a true saying that if you’re bored here it’s your fault. We have no regrets moving here and no plans for moving elsewhere. Many communities have a “try it out” visitation plan. Ours did. I highly recommend staying a weekend or more and experiencing a community before committing.

We're still too young for it, but when I hear the ear-piercing shrieks of the 4 year old banshee next door and her brother "playing", I do think well...there are benefits to a 55+...

Thats one of the reasons we're considering looking at 55 plus communities. Lots of new neighbors the past few years with noisy kids.

OP where are you looking? We found a really nice non-desert like community we checked recently. Kinda pricey for us but if your coming from California it might look like a bargain. Check out Victory at Verrado in Buckeye AZ.

Last edited:
I was around 50, DH just turning 55, when we moved into our fairly new 55+ community over 12 years ago. For us it was about location and amenities and a fairly quiet neighborhood with lawn maintenance included. Plus they had some really innovative house designs that accommodated large motorhomes. We weren’t dependent on the community for our socializing and still aren’t.

We’re older now ha ha. The community has grown a lot and continues to grow. New people moving in, often younger. Many folks who were here when we arrived have moved on.

Last edited:
From my parents experience when shopping a few years back, no matter what, you will be a rare sight under 60. Since you'll be in a brand new community, it will skew younger than the average one. For example, when you move into a 20-yr old 55+, most of the residents have been there 20 years, so yeah, the math.

My parents ended up in a <10 year old community, and at 75 they seem to be about average. Not many under 65's.

Of course, every place is different. Depends on the area of the country as well. And depends on how much you need your immediate neighbors to be your social life.

Heh, we have 6 year old triplets next door. I feel, er, hear your pain!

Thats one of the reasons we're considering looking at 55 plus communities. Lots of new medicine the past few years with noisy kids.

OP where are you looking? We found a really nice non-desert like community we checked recently. Kinda pricey for us but if your coming from California it might look like a bargain. Check out Victory at Verrado in Buckeye AZ.

My sister-in-law moved there a couple of years ago from Apple Valley, CA.
She is used to desert living.

She loves Verrado, and we thought it looked like a pretty nice area even though we are *not* desert people.

Are grandkids allowed in 55+ communities? Though I’m guessing there are restrictions to prevent small children from running wild?

Are grandkids allowed in 55+ communities? Though I’m guessing there are restrictions to prevent small children from running wild?

That would my concern. How do they enforce a situation where Grammy suddenly takes in her daughter and 4 year old? "It’s only until she can get settled......" and twelve years later, they're still there with a junk car in the driveway.

Sure, visitors are allowed, and I'm also sure some people abuse this (both the homeowners and the visitors - 3 weeks at grandmas house in florida when she's up north at their summer place...)

Most places have strict rules about kids and visitors. People have been forced to sell and move when they have had to take in their grandchildren because the parents died.

I understand they allow a certain percentage of under 55's in most communities (at least here in Nevada). I also understand there are spouses who are under 55 with their spouse being 55+ and/or the older spouse died. I am curious what life is like for a couple of "youngsters."
This was some years back, but I'm familiar with a work colleague who bought into a 55+ community with her mother even though she was only in her early 40s. This was in New Jersey.

Thats one of the reasons we're considering looking at 55 plus communities. Lots of new neighbors the past few years with noisy kids.

We are in the Vegas area. Looking at Trilogy Summerlin.

What is the rent like for 55+ one bed/one bath?

There is such a community under 55?

I don't know about your second question. For your first I can sort of answer, I am told the one unit we are looking at (3 bed - 2,500 sq) is currently rented for $5k/month. So if there was a smaller unit perhaps half that!? Rents have skyrocketed here in the last year. At least 25% increase on average.

Most places have strict rules about kids and visitors. People have been forced to sell and move when they have had to take in their grandchildren because the parents died.
My parents rented for a summer in a 55+ community when they were trying to figure out where to settle down after 20 years of full time RV travel. We visited them with our young children and there were strict rules that meant our kids couldn't play outside and my wife and I who were in our 30's at the time couldn't go for a walk without our parents along. I let my parents know in no uncertain terms that we wouldn't return if they decided to buy in.

Our kids are grown and gone but I hope I never get old and bitter enough that I don't enjoy the sounds of children playing.

Yes, visitors are allowed, but there is a limit for children. It may be a month stay limit per year here. They must also be accompanied by adults at community facilities such as pools, etc.

Last edited:
I would like to find a good senior +55 place near Tucson. Any recommendations from people who have owned or rented would be appreciated. Also, if you have close friends or relatives who have lived in such a place.
PM me if you like.

I am not recommending anything, just observing since some apartments went up locally. The brand is "Overture", and they have apartments all over the Southern and Western USA. You can search their website and get an idea on rents.

This is not assisted or traditional independent living. It is just 55+ communities with certain social amenities, but no dining halls like traditional independent living.

My house in FL is in front of a 55+ community. Their rule is no children under the age of 18 allowed for longer than 3 weeks at a time and only so many times per year. My parents are thinking about buying a home in a 55+ near me and my adult 26 year old autistic brother lives with them. They have been told at several communities an adult disabled child is certainly allowed to live with them. But if this child marries and has children they need to go. I have also heard of 55+ people that had an adult child move in with small children in tow and they were forced to sell to take care of this adult child that could not take care of her children without their help after her divorce. They could not afford to pay for 2 homes, so they sold and all moved into a regular community where the children were allowed. It is part of the rules here and when you buy in, you agree to these rules and must abide by them. They also allow an adult child or partner under the age of 55 on the deed, but again none under 18. This allows the adult child to take over the house if the parents die suddenly and then sell or live there themselves if they choose. Most places are flexible with adult ages as long as 1 person in the house is 55+ and there are no children under 18. This is how they keep the costs low/affordable, but not required to allow people with children in and not break any ageism laws.

My hubby is now 51 and I am 46. We have no plans to move into the 55+ community scene any time soon, but maybe someday. My twins are only 14, so I am closer to the screaming children age then not, and it doesn't really bother me. I have always had many children in my home that I looked after for family and friends along with my twins when they were younger and it just doesn't get to me. But little yappy dogs that chase me when I am running through the 55+ development, no way I handle those little creatures well. So, I get it, everyone is different and when you are in different phases of life things bother you more than others.

I would like to find a good senior +55 place near Tucson. Any recommendations from people who have owned or rented would be appreciated. Also, if you have close friends or relatives who have lived in such a place.
PM me if you like.

We've been looking at 55+ communities and found a few we like. Saddlebrooke and Saddlebrooke Ranch is beautiful. We also really liked Quail Creek. Most of the town of Green Valley is 55+ neighborhoods, so that's another thing to consider.

We're a few years shy of 55 and have stayed a couple days at several communities, and visited many more. For the age thing, I think it's super important to pick a place that is still building if you are under/near 55. While we felt a bit on the younger side in the newer/still building places, it didn't bother us. We felt much younger in the established communities.

We are in the Vegas area. Looking at Trilogy Summerlin.

I don't know about your second question. For your first I can sort of answer, I am told the one unit we are looking at (3 bed - 2,500 sq) is currently rented for $5k/month. So if there was a smaller unit perhaps half that!? Rents have skyrocketed here in the last year. At least 25% increase on average.

$5k? They are suppose to be cheaper. They are like $500 here for 1 bed/1 bath.

We've been looking at 55+ communities and found a few we like. Saddlebrooke and Saddlebrooke Ranch is beautiful. We also really liked Quail Creek. Most of the town of Green Valley is 55+ neighborhoods, so that's another thing to consider.

We're a few years shy of 55 and have stayed a couple days at several communities, and visited many more. For the age thing, I think it's super important to pick a place that is still building if you are under/near 55. While we felt a bit on the younger side in the newer/still building places, it didn't bother us. We felt much younger in the established communities.

Agree 100% that newer build communities will have a younger age than established communities. Also it’s much easier to make new friends when everyone is moving in close to the same time.

Thanks. The next time I travel to the area I will look into the developments you have suggested.

FYWI, I don't need to rent or purchase a 3 bedroom 2500 sq foot house. A small 2 bed 2 bath place in the area of 1400 sq feet would suit me fine.

Back
Top Bottom