70% of people work for a "toxic boss"

The real question is, are any of these underlings doing something to improve themselves for bosshood.

So, when they become the manager, do they have what it takes to be a good boss... or do they sit around all day and bitch about how bad they have it, when they really aspire to be the boss.

-CC

CCdaCE said:
The real question is, are any of these underlings doing something to improve themselves for bosshood.

So, when they become the manager, do they have what it takes to be a good boss... or do they sit around all day and bitch about how bad they have it, when they really aspire to be the boss.

-CC

So is your question directed at anyone in particular or is it rhetorical in nature?   :confused:

Not everyone can be a manager.  There are fewer managers than worker bees in most organizations.  The higher you go the fewer management positions there are and the more difficult it is to get one of them.  Not everyone is cut out to be in management just like not everyone is cut out to me in IT or accounting or medicine or in the Marines, etc.  A career can get very long indeed if you are not in a job you like most of the time. 

SteveR said:
So is your question directed at anyone in particular or is it rhetorical in nature? :confused:

Yeah, rhetorical.

Everyone can help make the organization run better, give more info. to the boss, etc.

-CC

CCdaCE said:
Yeah, rhetorical.

Everyone can help make the organization run better, give more info. to the boss, etc.

-CC

If they trusted management enough to feel free to do so. With downsizing and re-organizations every few months or years (we have had 4 in the past 18 months) people live in fear of losing their jobs. Add to that the constant injection of toxic HR and Management programs into the organization that only adds to the view of management as incompetent and clueless. Promotion by favoritism rather than by true merit and experience creates additional distrust and loathing for management. It is hard to want to contribute more than is essential to keeping your job in such an environment.

You're right SteveR, when it comes right down to it, if your boss is stupid... "You can't fix stupid". Mostly, my view of the world is too simple. If you "do good work", good things SHOULD come your way. But, like you state, that's not always the case. All in due time, I guess. You'll eventually get somewhere that you're appreciated. But, meanwhile you've gotta pay the house payment and put food on the table... that part of the reality sucks.

Thats what keeps me from finding another job. I have a damn good boss. Or, at least, he's not a moron/toxic/etc. Gives me rediculous flexibilty and is only there to keep me in check and help me with "out of the ordinary" problems.

All I'm sayin' is, try to see where your boss is comin' from. Empathize. Sometimes with upper management all you think is, "who drempt this crap up?". But, then you can go back and say "this isn't gonna work, and here's why". And they can tell you why it IS going to work. Instead of just sitting around and complaining -- maybe you'd even save the company money. But, like I said in the first paragraph, everyones work world isn't as simple as I'd like it to be.

Hopefully I've gotten my point across.

-CC

Back
Top Bottom