$76,600 to build a garage?!?

Other comments: It's very cheap to lay a set of 4" dia perforated pipes in the chips and dust before you pour the concrete for the slab. This can be used later to very inexpensively remediate any radon problems (via sub-slab depressurization) that show themselves after you've got the building finished.

So that is what the 4" steel riser pipe outside of my garage does!

Always educational here on the forum.

Free to canoe

DH and I are looking at modular/prefabs now. We'd have the foundation put it and arrange for electric and other service lines plus get permits. Then they'd truck it in and set it up. Still checking out this option, but know for sure the garage, if we put it in, isn't going to cost nearly $80K:nonono:
Let us know what you find out. I know modular construction for dwellings is fast and can be slightly cheaper than stick-built, but I wouldn't think there'd be much to recommend it for a simple "shell" structure like you want.
One question: Are you getting your bids from homebuilders, or from people who build garages/utility structures? I think the markups and "expectations" might be very different. A garage like the one you want is very simple to construct (four guys could build this in three weeks, to include all excavation, if the weather cooperates). I agree with you that $80K is crazy (unless costs in your area are really high).

So that is what the 4" steel riser pipe outside of my garage does!

Always educational here on the forum.

Free to canoe
Yes, it could be a stub for a radon mitigation system, but PVC would be the usual choice for this. It might also be a cleanout for a sewer pipe. Too few builders put these in (unless forced to), it can be a very handy feature.

Talk to a local engineer. In my experience builders either go overboard or take shortcuts.

Did they break down the bid into components:confused:

The cost of concrete and wood etc. has gone up over the years... so an old bid compared to a new one might be very different...

But I would want to know how many hours are expected etc. by each sub.. now much is spent on supplies... how much 'profit' is built in...

The cost of concrete and wood etc. has gone up over the years... so an old bid compared to a new one might be very different...

But I would want to know how many hours are expected etc. by each sub.. now much is spent on supplies... how much 'profit' is built in...

No, they didn't. The guy's out of town this week so we may ask him for a detailed breakdown when he gets back.

About three years ago, we got estimates to do something similar - 2 car garage with a staircase to a finished room on top (no bathroom). We were stunned by the first bid that came in - it was $71,000. We did get two more estimates from other contractors, and they came in at $72,000 and $69,000, respectively. The closeness of the 3 bids makes me think that it was a pretty "normal" price for where we live (NC) and what we wanted to build. $76k might not be out of line... depends on a lot of factors like the amount of concrete needed, heating/cooling system, etc.

Charlotte

Is this the way bids are done in your area? When I've requested bids I usually get a (vague or maybe adequate) description of what the project includes (foundation type, thickness of slab, types of siding and shingles, etc), but I've never had one that detailed their business-side of the transaction (hours, amount to subcontractors, etc). I'd really be surprised to see a heading for "profit", since one obligatory part of each discussion is where they assure me they "probably won't make any money on this." Ha!

About three years ago, we got estimates to do something similar - 2 car garage with a staircase to a finished room on top (no bathroom). We were stunned by the first bid that came in - it was $71,000. We did get two more estimates from other contractors, and they came in at $72,000 and $69,000, respectively. The closeness of the 3 bids makes me think that it was a pretty "normal" price for where we live (NC) and what we wanted to build. $76k might not be out of line... depends on a lot of factors like the amount of concrete needed, heating/cooling system, etc.

Charlotte

Thanks for sharing your experience Charlotte. I'm in Northern Virginia so costs tend to be higher here. Just wondering, what did you decide on your proposed garage project?

You can get a 10X20 garage tent from Costco for $219.99. It takes two people only part of an afternoon to set it up. Get rid of all the stuff you want to store on the second story. Less stuff, more money.
Just an idea.

Here's a way of thinking about it: Let's say that if you forego the storage space, you save $30,000. Is the stuff you want to store there worth $30K to have around? Could you buy/build a shed for that stuff?

Is this the way bids are done in your area? When I've requested bids I usually get a (vague or maybe adequate) description of what the project includes (foundation type, thickness of slab, types of siding and shingles, etc), but I've never had one that detailed their business-side of the transaction (hours, amount to subcontractors, etc). I'd really be surprised to see a heading for "profit", since one obligatory part of each discussion is where they assure me they "probably won't make any money on this." Ha!

I guess I am a bit different. I had a bid for a bathroom and other items in my old house that I wanted done so I could sell. I asked that it be in enough detail so I could make decisions on specific items. The bids did not give the hours, but did break down the cost of labor and material for each item. There was also a line for administration and profit. His profit was 15% of the job. The one bid that only put down one number was not even looked at.

I also had bids done for my companies build out on our new offices. Again, just asked that they give details and got it from all three bids. These were broken down as electrical, plumbing, painting etc. ..... and... profit...

The thing I found is that if you ask, lots of time you get the info....

Thanks for sharing your experience Charlotte. I'm in Northern Virginia so costs tend to be higher here. Just wondering, what did you decide on your proposed garage project?

We did not pursue the garage project, because we had thought it would be in the $40-45K range... especially as the economy was starting to turn downwards. We might have gone as high as 50 or 55. It's hard to spend that much on a project when you know the price won't add on equally to your home value. For instance, I think the garage might add $30k in selling / market value to our home, so it's hard to imagine spending $70k on it!

Here's a way of thinking about it: Let's say that if you forego the storage space, you save $30,000. Is the stuff you want to store there worth $30K to have around? Could you buy/build a shed for that stuff?

Thing is, DH wants the garage for his "playroom". Ham radio shack, tools and other things necessary to support his [-]nerdy [/-]interesting hobbies.;)

We lived in this place before and the lack of a garage wasn't a problem then. However, our current place (which we've lived in for about 11 years) has a nice garage and he's gotten to like it. I like it too, especially when the weather is bad.

Plus, since DH plans to retire soon, he'll have more time for his hobbies and will need the space since the house is quite small.

We did not pursue the garage project, because we had thought it would be in the $40-45K range... especially as the economy was starting to turn downwards. We might have gone as high as 50 or 55. It's hard to spend that much on a project when you know the price won't add on equally to your home value. For instance, I think the garage might add $30k in selling / market value to our home, so it's hard to imagine spending $70k on it!

This is why we're thinking the modular route for the project. Based on my research so far, I think we can do a 2 car, 2 level garage for about $30K - $40K. I'll keep everyone posted.

What amazes me is how prices are still so high in this economy. We thought prices would be rock bottom since so many in the remodeling/construction business need work these days.

Tradesmen are still employed (and busy) here (NJ). It's the white collar guys who are collecting unemployment at this time.

We have two neighbors who are general contractors, and they are managing to squueeezzzeee in our roof, house paint, other improvements (basically for cost - to keep their guys from getting snagged by other contractors!) around their other projects...slowly but surely!

As a suggestion and it might be worth the phone calls...see if you can find a good appraiser or perhaps you know one. Ask him or her when he or she does appraisals what factor he uses for a garage finished the way you have specified and is brand new. I doubt he uses $123 dollars a square foot which is what your quote suggest.
Your quote is exactly why I get mad at price gouging ...when in the past I have looked at additions and end up doing nothing. new kitchen (only about 150 square feet additional and renovating current was $85,000). So I spent $7,000, put in hard wood floors, granite counter tops, moved the island around, repainted...etc. instead.

As a suggestion and it might be worth the phone calls...see if you can find a good appraiser or perhaps you know one. Ask him or her when he or she does appraisals what factor he uses for a garage finished the way you have specified and is brand new. I doubt he uses $123 dollars a square foot which is what your quote suggest.

I'm not sure the appraised value of a garage necessarily has much to do with the cost of having one constructed. For example, it costs much more to have a pool installed than the pool adds to the value of a home.

Some additions/changes do add as much value as they cost, but most do not.

That's right. Still be curious to know what kind of factor the appraisers put on it as that is the value added...depending on location and the market. Just might help make the decision.
I suppose after this financial crisis and housing bust ...and now the foreclosure freeze..have my eye on what it's going to continue to do to home prices. Of course with the 2nd round of qualitative easing the Fed is talking about..it may be they inflate us out of this mess ...which will cause another set of issues.

Thing is, DH wants the garage for his "playroom". Ham radio shack, tools and other things necessary to support his nerdy interesting hobbies.;)

Ah, yes. Man cave.

Have you considered a pre-fab garage?
A 20x20 2 car garage with raised roof delivered to my zipcode is $11k:
Prefab Garages: 2-Story | 2-Car Garages by HorizonStructures.com
Add $5k for the slab (Our HfH pays ~$3k for house size slabs, so $5k for 21x21 slab should be doable), $2k for electrical & plumbing and you can have it for $20k total maybe?

That's exactly what we're looking at now! I talked to Horizon Structures this morning and they're getting details to me. Base price for a 24' x 28' 2 level, 2 car garage $20,888. It will be extra since we want then to special order siding to match the house instead of using what they have in stock. I'm looking at companies to do the concrete/foundation/excavation work and have talked to the County about permits.

You guys are gonna freak...

Got a second estimate for our garage....$110,000 to $120,000. Are you kidding me?? While we were waiting for this second estimate, we checked out modular garages from two reputable companies - both quoted about $21,000 including custom siding to match the house AND delivery AND set up. Add about $5K for the foundation for a total of about $26K, which is about exactly what DH's brother paid for his garage. Difference is, he lives in rural VA while we're in Northern VA (DC suburbs). What the heck is going on:confused:

... we're in Northern VA (DC suburbs). What the heck is going on:confused:
I think I'm beginning to see the problem.

Sounds like you're being taken advantage of by living in the greater metropolitan area. At this point if you get a cheaper quote you're going to wonder if they know what they're doing.

With the trouble you're having finding a reputable contractor, is it worth paying up for Angie's List? You might be able to Google "Angie's List free trial" or "Angie's List promo code".

Last edited:
Got a second estimate for our garage....$110,000 to $120,000. Are you kidding me??

I don't think you ever mentioned what the market value of your house is, maybe these contractors are sizing up your estimate relative to the cost of your house...like brakes on a Toyota cost $300, but a Mercedes is $600 at a repair shop, just because they know you paid a lot more for the car.

Back
Top Bottom