A couple I-Bond Questions

Might just be an additional identity check, since you would have had to enter her account number when you bought the gift.

Not true, I bought some for my daughter with her name and SSN. I'm not even sure she had an account set up at that time.

Not true, I bought some for my daughter with her name and SSN. I'm not even sure she had an account set up at that time.

Sure about that?

From the TD website:
What you need to know about the recipient

To give an electronic savings bond to someone else, you must know that person's

• Full name
  • Social Security Number (or Taxpayer Identification Number)
  • TreasuryDirect account number

The word "give" is ambiguous to me. Perhaps they need the Treasury account at the time of transfer but not when purchased and sits in your gift account. I am far from being an expert on such matters.

I just transferred a gift bond I had purchased to my wife. I was surprised the system required me to enter her Treasury Account number. The system already knew her name and SS# from when I purchased the gift, I would have thought that would have uniquely identified her.
+1. I was surprised too.

IDK if this has been asked but I haven’t seen it. Sorry if I missed it.

Is it OK to let the gift set in my account for an extended amount of time?
I’m thinking about gifting them to my young nieces & nephews. I’m not sure I will do this but I was concerned as to whether there is any downside to leaving the money sit in my gift box.

I’m not planning on buying anymore I bonds at this time.

Thanks
Murf

No problem that I know of with letting purchases sit in the gift box for extended periods other than perhaps taxes when they are redeemed. Be sure that someone knows abut them and has your login credentials so they don't sit there forever if you pass unexpectedly.

That said, I don't think I-Bonds will be very attractive yields going forward, but we'll see.

IDK if this has been asked but I haven’t seen it. Sorry if I missed it.

Is it OK to let the gift set in my account for an extended amount of time?
I’m thinking about gifting them to my young nieces & nephews. I’m not sure I will do this but I was concerned as to whether there is any downside to leaving the money sit in my gift box.

I’m not planning on buying anymore I bonds at this time.

Thanks
Murf

I think at some point in time each niece and nephew will have to set up a Treasury account in their name in order for you to deliver them.

Back
Top Bottom