A Funny Thing Happened Choosing a Computer OS

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just ordered an old Mac Laptop on ebay.

Been ages since I've used a Mac. At one time, a computer from Apple was my favorite OS, then Win and I had no clue about Linux.

Today, my favorite to use at times is Linux, then Win (more familiar) and don't know much about Apple.

I guess change is the one constant :popcorn:.

I guess the bottom line is I just need the right tool for the job regardless of OS.

Oh, I own to many laptops by the way :(.

I'm still hesitating to buy a Chromebook. I sort of want to play with a different OS, but then again, I seem to have a long list of unfinished projects.
-ERD50

Chrome books are cheap and don't get viruses - :)

Google "convert laptop to chromebook"

I took an old laptop running real slow on Widows 7 and converted to run as a Chromebook. Been running like a champ ever since.

Was fairly easy to do. I am no computer expert but it worked.

Maybe dealing with different OS is a way to keep the brain sharp.

I'm still hesitating to buy a Chromebook. I sort of want to play with a different OS, but then again, I seem to have a long list of unfinished projects.
-ERD50

Actually an unfinished project is what lead me to getting an old, used Mac laptop.

Google "convert laptop to chromebook"

I took an old laptop running real slow on Widows 7 and converted to run as a Chromebook. Been running like a champ ever since.

Was fairly easy to do. I am no computer expert but it worked.
Thanks for that. I never even thought about doing that. I have 2 old windows laptops just sitting around. I think I will try this. The wife especially only uses the laptop for email and web browsing and nothing else. I may be able to turn one of the old ones in to something faster than she has now which she occasionally complains about being slow.:)

DW struggled to deal with the complexities of her PC so I converted her to Chrome a couple of years ago. We have seen a huge decrease in "tech support" requests. :)

We’re in need of a new computer, don’t really want another PC.
Can you do all your normal everyday computing on a Chromebook? We don’t do any heavy computing. Just web browse, email, photos & a limited amount of printing. I assume a CB would do all we need, is that correct?

We also camp & would like to use as a TV while camping. Is that something it will do?

I need to check them out in person but I don’t shop much these days.

Thanks
Murf

One bad thing about Chromebook (unless it's changed) is that you have a maxi of 5 years on updates, including security updates. Then you are on your own. I am writing this on a 6 year old MacBook that runs the current OS and will probably get security upgrades for at least a few more years.

So, if you buy a used Chromebook, it may or may not have many years of updates left.

One bad thing about Chromebook (unless it's changed) is that you have a maxi of 5 years on updates, including security updates. Then you are on your own. I am writing this on a 6 year old MacBook that runs the current OS and will probably get security upgrades for at least a few more years.

So, if you buy a used Chromebook, it may or may not have many years of updates left.

Well that stinks! One of the things I was thinking about buying one for was to replace my very old (2009) cheap little ASUS netbook, which I only use as a music player now. I have linux on that, and I probably could upgrade it to current, but the risk of 'breaking' it is not one I want to take, or spend time on with finding patches (it has very limited RAM and flash drive space). So I just turned off the wi-fi and play from an ext hard drive.

But I'd like to be able to get online with it, for streaming and looking up details on the songs/artists.

I've read you can load linux on some chromebooks, but that defeats the peurpose of playing with a different OS. And the reason I'm hesitating is that I spend a lot of time tweaking things to get them 'just right' for my use. So I don't want to go through that, and then have to ditch it in 5 years or so.

-ERD50

Always played games on my PC which is why I never looked at MacOS. All of the good stuff was Windows only, later stuff came to Linux (mostly RPGs for me).

Chromebooks now get updates for 7 years. However, that is not from the date of purchase so check before you buy.

I have an Acer from 2014 that was extended to get updates until Sept 2021. It says it can still be used but I just picked up a new one as the power cord has started to act up anyway. The new one is an HP that will get updates until 2028. It also has some new features, is faster and weighs less which are all good things. Both chromebooks were dirt cheap and great for their purpose.

Here is a link to the end of update dates.

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Chromebooks now get updates for 7 years. However, that is not from the date of purchase so check before you buy.

I have an Acer from 2014 that was extended to get updates until Sept 2021. It says it can still be used but I just picked up a new one as the power cord has started to act up anyway. The new one is an HP that will get updates until 2028. It also has some new features, is faster and weighs less which are all good things. Both chromebooks were dirt cheap and great for their purpose.

Here is a link to the end of update dates.

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Okay, but that’s for hardware purchased as a CB. How are updates handled for a converted Windows laptop? Do they still look at the date of the equipment, or does it related to the date the software is installed, or some other date.?

Okay, but that’s for hardware purchased as a CB. How are updates handled for a converted Windows laptop? Do they still look at the date of the equipment, or does it related to the date the software is installed, or some other date.?

It is based on what device you have. Dates for CloudReady are here:
https://guide.neverware.com/supported-devices/.

That said, I chose not to convert an old device because a new Chromebook serves me better. First and foremost, it is much lighter with a very, very long battery life -- 15 hours on a charge.

I switched to Linux/Ubuntu about ten years ago and never looked back. At one time, I knew Windows pretty well, but I wouldn’t want to go back. Everything open source and free is a powerful motivation.

Being a cheapskate I found the best answer for me was to buy an older Dell/HP business laptop for a few shekels and load linux (currently MX-Linux only). Very fast, trouble free, runs everything I need, even the Quicken version for windows I use. Never breaks since MX-Linux is a very stable Debian based distro. As a cheap bonus its really fast after I put in a small SS hard drive. Don't need a big one since Linux is so efficient in its use of space and I keep large files (music, pictures, movies) in a network server.

I'm typing this on my 2014 Chromebook which has been rock solid since the day I bought it and it is used every day I am here. My Windows laptop in somewhere in this house in an unknown location, where it is staying.

I'm typing this on my 2014 Chromebook which has been rock solid since the day I bought it and it is used every day I am here. My Windows laptop in somewhere in this house in an unknown location, where it is staying.

But is it still getting security updates?

-ERD50

But is it still getting security updates?

-ERD50

My 2014 Chromebook will get it's last update in September 2021 according to a message that now appears every time I turn on the machine. It says I will still be able to use the machine but will no longer automatically get software and security updates.

If buying a new Chromebook be sure to check the end of updates date before purchasing. I believe the end of update date is determined by when the processor was introduced. It is not determined by when the particular model of Chromebook was introduced.

A month ago I bought this 14 inch HP Chromebook. Feels like a sturdy build, light, and the price is right. Works really nicely for plunking around in my easy chair:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B087N8HZVJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I normally work on a large desktop but for web surfing this is great and it looks pretty nice too. Backlit keyboard and cool green cover. Cheaper and better then my iPad. The iPad is good for international travel which is not yet on the horizon.

image1.jpg

While I am a dedicated Windows desktop user and have zero desire to change that, I do plan to buy a Mac notebook. I am just waiting for the next one to come out as there are significant changes expected. I have an Apple Phone and Watch and there is some stuff that you can only do on a Mac so I am willing to try this for my notebook.

Just purchased a Dell XPS13 and repartitioned to be dual boot Win10 and PopOS (Ubuntu variant). Haven't converted over fully yet, but am liking the Linux environment-clean, can drop into command mode if needed, lots of info available on how to do things, the apps many times are much more powerful in terms of functional variability, screaming fast response.....

Sorry I didn't do this earlier. May have to keep Win10 for some app support (old ipod nano 5G I love to use). Difficult to figure out what else I would require Win10 for....

Back
Top Bottom