A Funny Thing Happened Choosing a Computer OS

Why limit yourself to just one OS? Each OS has good points. I run Win 10 Pro on the living room media PC. Win 10 LTSC on a laptop. Manjaro Linux with Mate on the "business" machine. Plus any OS to play with in Virtualbox. Chrome OS is something I would avoid because I don't want Google having all my data.

Just purchased a Dell XPS13 and repartitioned to be dual boot Win10 and PopOS (Ubuntu variant). Haven't converted over fully yet, but am liking the Linux environment-clean, can drop into command mode if needed, lots of info available on how to do things, the apps many times are much more powerful in terms of functional variability, screaming fast response.....

Sorry I didn't do this earlier. May have to keep Win10 for some app support (old ipod nano 5G I love to use). Difficult to figure out what else I would require Win10 for....
I enjoy the power and simplicity of Linux but I've kept one Windows PC because I haven't found a good tax program that runs in Linux. I could use the web based tax programs but I'm a ludite when it comes to putting my tax info in the cloud somewhere.

Why limit yourself to just one OS? Each OS has good points. I run Win 10 Pro on the living room media PC. Win 10 LTSC on a laptop. Manjaro Linux with Mate on the "business" machine. Plus any OS to play with in Virtualbox. Chrome OS is something I would avoid because I don't want Google having all my data.

My thoughts as to why limit are two reasons. One, back in the old days, a computer was a major investment (still is for those who buy spanking new and don't consider used and fixer uppers). Two, simplicity as then you have to learn the nuances of each OS and also keep different software.

For me, I think about an OS and hardware as the right tool for the job. My main computer runs on Win 10 because of familiarity and some programs I just need to run on Win.

I also use Linux as certain programs run better under that. Plus, I like the open source of Linux.

Lately, I just got an old Mac laptop as I want to run something to utilizes a firewire connection and iMove.

Still using my 13", 2011 MacBook Pro with OS 10.13.6 (AFAIK, last OS version it can use)

Also have 10.6.8 loaded on a small partition in order to play old PowerPC games.

Plus have Parallels installed which runs Windows 10 just fine.

Upgraded the 2.5" hard drive to a 2.5" SSD, of course.

Back
Top Bottom