A provider returned the Medicare deductible I paid to them

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am on Medicare with supplemental. For year 2022, I paid deductible amounts to the first 2 providers which totaled $233 so I satisfied my deductible.

Few days ago, the second provider (a surgical center) sent me a check for the deductible amount I had paid them. So, did them get the full amount reimbursed by Medicare/supplemental and just returning the excess charge to me? So I will get a bill from another provider soon for that same amount?

If you don’t have paper explanation of benefits do you have an online medicare account at medicare.gov? You can see who medicare thinks you owe your deductible to ( and you can definitely select to see last year’s claims

If you don’t have paper explanation of benefits do you have an online medicare account at medicare.gov? You can see who medicare thinks you owe your deductible to ( and you can definitely select to see last year’s claims

I checked my online account. I see from My deductible status, under 2022, the deductible amount met is $233 already.

There are total 6 claims in 2022. First one lists the correct deductible amount applied. The remaining 5 (including the Surgical center) all show 'Total amount you may be billed' higher than the remaining deductible balance.

I guess one of them will send me a bill, and I will have to call them and pay only the remaining amount.

I am not sure how Medicare reconcile with these providers.

On the medicare site you want to scroll up when you look at each claim to see amount applied to deductible. The total you may be billed includes the 20% that your supplement picks up so that is why you see it all year long
There is a box entitled note that summarizes it and will say if part of your you may owe includes deductible

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom