Achilles rupture

SJ1_

Full time employment: Posting here.
yesterday morning playing pickle ball for the 1st time I thought someone
hit the back of my leg with a bat. was shocked when I looked up and
no one was there. Felt numb at first but no pain at all. Went to ER Clinic
and said i need to see a orthopedic surgeon. I most likely have a total rupture but not 100% sure until MRI etc. with the Orthopedic dr.
It happened on a Sat so we are hoping to get an appointment Monday am. Currently visiting Dunedin FL and now live in Cumming GA. If dr. here say I need surgery will most likely go home and have it done at Emory in cumming.
I keep reading that a number of recent studies say non surgical with the
proper PT is just as good as surgery but I get the impression that the doctors
in the US prefer surgery.

anyone have any experiences with ruptured achilles? Any thoughts, experiences what you did or words of wisdom would be great.

I had a partial rupture that did not require surgical repair but which was very painful and with a fairly long recovery time. I think your pain would come through in your post if it was severe enough to require surgery. But then again, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.

Good luck on the treatment and recover. I suffered cramps along with the injury which seemed like pure torture. Hope you can avoid those.

..I think your pain would come through in your post if it was severe enough to require surgery. But then again, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.

Good luck on the treatment and recover... .

Yes it has basically been pain free, today it's just a little sore and swollen. I read about some people who said the sane thing but most have serve pain, so
I am lucky there.

the worst part is going from real active to laying around with my foot raised and icing it. Happened on day 4 for a 10 wk. vacation in FL. could be worst

thanks

Not a rupture, but I tore mine, some 30 years ago while pre-run stretching; a sound like linen being ripped and I'm on the floor going "Aaargh".

My late wife fashioned a wedge that I could attach to my flip-flop, (so as to keep the tendon shortened), and for a while I walked around like a woman who's lost one high heel.

It repaired itself....no surgery.

What you described is text book Achilles rupture. MRI will show how far torn tendon has traveled up calf. Partial tears can often be treated conservatively, but complete tears do better with surgery. Complete tears often have less pain as the tear is complete. I've seen lots of repairs and never had a bad outcome.
I would find board certified foot and ankle orthopedic. Most PT clinics are associated with an orthopedic group, so you need to ask several different PT s for the best Dr recommendation AND Most Importantly Who gets the best outcomes. Sometimes you can also quietly find out who to avoid or who doesn't get great outcomes.

What you described is text book Achilles rupture. MRI will show how far torn tendon has traveled up calf. Partial tears can often be treated conservatively, but complete tears do better with surgery. Complete tears often have less pain as the tear is complete. I've seen lots of repairs and never had a bad outcome.
I would find board certified foot and ankle orthopedic. Most PT clinics are associated with an orthopedic group, so you need to ask several different PT s for the best Dr recommendation AND Most Importantly Who gets the best outcomes. Sometimes you can also quietly find out who to avoid or who doesn't get great outcomes.

great info. esp. from a PT thanks

Forgot to tell you that you are probably in for a long road. Post op cast with heel lift to lessen stress on repair, walking cast boot with gradual lessening of heel wedges (6-8eeeks). Then about 6 weeks rehabilitation, and months of continuing home program to normal strength, balance/proprioception
Good luck and stay positive...you will be 90+% in 3-6 months

I limped around on mine for a few weeks using ice and elevation to deal with swelling and pain before seeing a doctor. Ended up with surgical repair, V to Y tendon extension with Kevlar stitching. PT was focused on extracting $ from my insurer rather than helping me heal, so I ended up buying a stationary bike and used it daily for a few months post surgery. Seemed like it took forever to walk without a floppy foot - probably nine months. Fortunately, aside from daily cramps in my toes, I can do everything I want to including racquetball. Push off strength is gone in that foot though. Prepare for new appreciation for those with mobility challenges.

Are you using the RICE approach until you see Dr? If not, you might want to do so.

I keep reading that a number of recent studies say non surgical with the
proper PT is just as good as surgery but I get the impression that the doctors
in the US prefer surgery.

anyone have any experiences with ruptured achilles? Any thoughts, experiences what you did or words of wisdom would be great.

If it's a full rupture, I suspect only surgery will fix it. The achilles gets very little blood supply and healing is VERY slow.

I had a severly inflamed achilles but no or little separation. It developed over a several week period of time and I made the mistake of ignoring it for too long. Short story.....it took two years for it to fully heal. Chose not to let doc go in to clean it up. Orthotic relieved the pain.

Tore mine playing tennis, popped a string in my racket, followed by my Achilles. My favorite Ortho, who fixed my knee, checked it out-no surgery required. It finally healed enough to consider playing tennis again in about 6 months. In between I did a lot of toe lifts and heal drops on the stairs to keep it stretched. I had a pretty good sized bump, which has subsided over time. It hurt for several weeks, and slowly got better over time.

Are you using the RICE approach until you see Dr? If not, you might want to do so.

Yes

I decided to see a dr. in atl since would be follow up etc. so we drove back
today and my PT gave me the name of a Surgeon who he highly recommended.
He was actually on our list of drs. so we will see

Back
Top Bottom