Aggregation Contacts @ Credit Card Companies

savory

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is related to an aggregator. As I reported in a another post, I am having reporting issues with a couple of credit card companies. Capital1 simply stopped updating spending in early December on two credit cards. Amex reports the same total for 2 different cards. The total is right for one card. That happened in the past. It was corrected and now reappeared. This is a lesser concern since the individual AMEX spending is right and our spending is low.

Emoney has said the issue is not theirs's to solve. They have no numbers or contact to share with me at Cap1 or AMEX. (As a side note that is aggravating to me as they need to negotiate these contracts. They have contacts. They may not have the time to fix my problem but they could be more customer friendly, ugh).

I have called Capitalone but have not been able to get past the first level of phone support. They do not know where to send me within the organization for aggregation issues. It seems phone supporters have not been trained or even been made aware of the aggregation their companies participate.

I am hoping someone on the forum has experience with the right language to communicate with the first level of phone support so I can get to the right department. If you have successful experience with this, it would be great to learn. Or better yet, a phone number or a way to find a number that goes to a 'aggregation' department vs first line support, that has the expertise to understand and help with this issue.

If you do, please share it here. If this is not clear, let me know and I will help clarify the issue. Thanks

I have no idea what an "aggregator" is, so you might start by explaining that.

You link your account with other places where you have accounts and it pulls the balances, and possibly transactions, to provide you an overall view.

Examples are Fidelity FullView, Mint and the one on Personal Capitol. They gather data from a clients accounts, like investments/checking/savings/credit cards. They claim to safely "scrap" it from the account data, and put them together on various platforms, like the ones listed above. As you know braumeister, we talked about them often here but perhaps not as aggregators. Thanks for helping to clarify.

They're just reading data from another system of record. They scrape the screen(used to be HLLAPI) to get your data. Its a convenience, not the correct balance at all times.

I used Fidelity’s aggregator- Fullview - run by eMoney. It was so unreliable. I just stop using it and built my own spreadsheet.

Examples are Fidelity FullView, Mint and the one on Personal Capitol. They gather data from a clients accounts, like investments/checking/savings/credit cards. They claim to safely "scrap" it from the account data, and put them together on various platforms, like the ones listed above. As you know braumeister, we talked about them often here but perhaps not as aggregators. Thanks for helping to clarify.

Thanks. I've never used anything like that so my ignorance is showing more than usual today.

Can't help as don't give someone else access to my various accounts.

Also don't really see a need, since they could be inaccurate, and I need a 100% accurate view in case there was a need to dispute something, so I check my CC accounts once or twice per month. All 6 of them. Also use that time to plan my payment date (in full for statement balance).

Before retiring, I worked on projects where we integrated our website with an aggregation product ( actually twice with 2 different aggregation companies).

Aggregation companies either (1) scrape data off the financial company website pages, or (2) have a feed to the financial company's data. Method (1) requires the aggregator periodically log into the website using your login credentials, and is more fragile since it breaks when website changes occur - for that website, the aggregator needs to update their scraping code for it to work again. There isn't anything the financial website can do to fix the problem since they are oblivious that this process is even happening - it looks like just another customer login.

Method (2) is much more reliable but that involves the aggregator and the financial company forming a relationship and special project to implement the direct feed. The one advantage to the financial company with this method is that they can control when the data transfers occur ( e.g., they could limit this processing to the overnight hours when their websites are mostly idle).

Hint - if the OP needed to provide their login credentials to their credit card website, then it's using method 1.

Last edited:
Before retiring, I worked on projects where we integrated our website with an aggregation product ( actually twice with 2 different aggregation companies).

Aggregation companies either (1) scrape data off the financial company website pages, or (2) have a feed to the financial company's data. Method (1) requires the aggregator periodically log into the website using your login credentials, and is more fragile since it breaks when website changes occur - for that website, the aggregator needs to update their scraping code for it to work again. There isn't anything the financial website can do to fix the problem since they are oblivious that this process is even happening - it looks like just another customer login.

Method (2) is much more reliable but that involves the aggregator and the financial company forming a relationship and special project to implement the direct feed. The one advantage to the financial company with this method is that they can control when the data transfers occur ( e.g., they could limit this processing to the overnight hours when their websites are mostly idle).

Hint - if the OP needed to provide their login credentials to their credit card website, then it's using method 1.

They use method 1. PenFed recently stop allowing access. I posted on that earlier. Thanks that was good learning.

Back
Top Bottom