All Inclusive with Kids Activities?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I cringe at traveling this way and the enormous expense that goes with it, but DW and I desparately need a vacation that includes chunks of time away from the kids. It ain't coming from the relatives (we get little or no help), so the only thing I can come up with is something like Beaches resorts or the Club Meds that have all day kids activities. I was looking for other possibilities and stubled across Dreams Cancun Resorts & Spas: Unlimited Luxury Defined which looks pretty nice. Anyone know of other possibilities? Cruises are out for seasickness reasons.

I have been to several Club Meds , Jack Tarr Villages and even a Club in Connecticut called Club Getaway when my children were younger . It did give us a needed break and the kids loved it . You sound like you really need a child free break so maybe ask all the parents outright and if that doesn't work ask your friends . They might be willing to watch your children in exchange for you watching their children . This might work even if you shorten the vacation .

I have been to several Club Meds , Jack Tarr Villages and even a Club in Connecticut called Club Getaway when my children were younger . It did give us a needed break and the kids loved it . You sound like you really need a child free break so maybe ask all the parents outright and if that doesn't work ask your friends . They might be willing to watch your children in exchange for you watching their children . This might work even if you shorten the vacation .

Been there, done that. Unfortunately, not gonna happen, which is a major source of friction. So I am looking at next best with the resorts.

Sorry to hear that the parents are not helping ! If you want to save some money look to the Dominican Republic . Their resorts are usually cheaper and just as nice .

Yeah, the real question is whether these soprts of places exist outside of Club Med and Beaches. Mexico is currently inexpensive as well.

I can't believe I am responding b/c I have no children, so who would think I have advice? LOL. Any ways, why not send the kids to a separate summer camp for a week while the two of you go on vacation? I'm sure I'm not thinking of some issue, being a non-parent here. :confused:

I can't believe I am responding b/c I have no children, so who would think I have advice? LOL. Any ways, why not send the kids to a separate summer camp for a week while the two of you go on vacation? I'm sure I'm not thinking of some issue, being a non-parent here. :confused:

In 3 to 5 years that is a possibility, but they are too young. We cannot wait that long.

I also have no children. Is there such a thing as a local nanny who can take care of them for a week? Then you could do a simple vacation at home, in your RV or nearby. Maybe take in some shows or at least get some kid-free rest.

Good luck, Brewer, I remember my parents giving us Cracker Jacks & games at the start of car trips, three of us fighting when we got tired.:angel:

The only time grandma took care of us, we were young teenagers and well behaved. And no one helped when mom had surgery, poor dad got called into my classroom because I was a mess; teacher said something like, "doesn't this child have a mother?" He blew up and told her off.

You might look at some of the major hotel chains that have resorts in their portfolio. We got out of town for a few days a couple of weeks ago and stayed at a Westin resort. My kids are way too old to participate, so I can't speak about the quality, but they had a full days worth of activities for younger kids. Plus there were family events in the evenings and a babysitting club so mom and dad could eat dinner or whatever.

I don't mean to scare you, only to remind you that your current problems may be nothing compared to when they reach their teenage years. Also, have you been to the "college cost" threads, or are you playing ostrich? :D

By the way, I know a few childless couples in life, but it appears we have more here than in the general population. I suspect that most people who planned to ER conscienciously decided not to have children. We ourselves stumbled onto ER by accident.

I don't mean to scare you, only to remind you that your current problems may be nothing compared to when they reach their teenage years. Also, have you been to the "college cost" threads, or are you playing ostrich? :D

Money is a lot easier to come by than time for us, so while college costs loom, I don't spend a lot of time sweating it.

Not sure what level of luxury you are looking. I love (and have stayed at) Beaches Negril in Jamaica. I've also been to Beaches Turks and Caicos, but personally didn't like it as much as Negril. (Keep in mind that I enjoy Jamaica, especially the people. Some people absolute hate Jamaica.)

A couple more resorts in Jamaica you might want to investigate are FDR Pebbles and Franklyn D Resort. I have not been to either, but part of the deal is a nanny for your little ones for most of the day.

I prefer the Playa del Carmen area of Mexico to Cancun. The Iberostars in Playa and the Gala are nice moderate resorts good for families. Although I have never been to Dreams Cancun, I've heard good things about the Dreams resort chain. Don't know anything about their kid's club.

I know some people that like El Cozumeleno in Cozumel, also a moderate resort, in my opinion a half step below the ones in Playa. Also supposed to be great for families, and I was impressed with the look of their kid's club.

I think the Beaches resort are very good, but of course, they airn't cheap.

Hope some of this helps.

We went to a couple of Club Meds with our son when he was aged 6 and 8(Guadeloupe and Cancun). It worked out well. He had fun and enjoyed the planned kiddie activities. As I recall, I also saw very little of my husband at the Club Meds as he threw himself into all the sports while I read and paddled around the pool. Another arrangement that worked well for us back in the day was a cooperative babysitting arrangement I had with a girl I met in yoga class. She watched my son when we had week-end plans or a late night out and I watched her twin sons(3 weeks younger than my tot) when she and her husband wanted to get away for a night or a couple of days. We have all stayed great friends even though they now live in Connecticut.

Cozumel is no longer a buy, nor are the resorts new. Try a 4 star new resort down near Maroma Beach or Tulum. Most have free wind surfing, kayaking, and sailing. Beaches are great. We've found that resorts more than 3 or 4 years old have air conditioning problems and deteriorate because of climate. We like Secrets Maroma Beach, but it adults only.

We have the opposite problem,our kids have grown up (15-20)and now dont want to accompany us on vacations, i kinda miss all the fun we used to have on family vacations.Vacations with just the wife and i lack the excitement,chaos and unpredictability of when the kids were along.

Are you absolutely sure you can't cruise? I've heard of good success with the prescription patch for seasickness. It might be worth investigating. Cruising is great for young families.

Another option we've done is to bring an older teen/college student/young adult as a babysitter with our family to the beach. In advance, establish (for example) that they will be responsible for the children from 9-3 every day or 12-5 or whatever suits, and then they are free to come and go all the other hours of the day. I pay them an hourly wage while they are on duty, they get to eat our food, and basically get a free place to stay for a week at the beach in exchange for 35 hours of childcare. It's definitely important to make sure that the babysitter is a really nice kid, one that won't get into trouble, someone your family knows and is comfortable with. (That's the hard part actually... I was fortunate to have a cousin who was just the right age and would probably have watched the kids for free for a free place to stay at the beach :).) Also, you'd need to rent a condo or house that is 1 BR bigger than what you'd normally need, so the babysitter gets their own room. With the right person, this can work nicely and isn't unreasonably more expensive.

Good luck - hope you find something that works for you & your family!

Charlotte

We have the opposite problem,our kids have grown up (15-20)and now dont want to accompany us on vacations, i kinda miss all the fun we used to have on family vacations.Vacations with just the wife and i lack the excitement,chaos and unpredictability of when the kids were along.

Give them a few years to feel confident as adults, then they will want to go with you again. Of course, the parents need to treat them as adults too.

My kids (20 and 24) recently didn't mind to come with us on our vacation. We had exchanged our timeshare for 2 suites (yes, 2 suites each with kitchen, living room and Jacuzzi in Las Vegas). They were smart now to take us up on our offer to pay for nearly everything. ;)

Same thing happened to my sister and her grown daughters. They went to Paris. :whistle:

Try Iberostar for kids' programs and all inclusive

We've had great luck with Iberostar Paraiso Lindo in Riviera Maya. The resort is huge, as there are actually 5 IB*'s side by side. Lots to see and do, the kids clubs are excellent and go until the kids' show at 8:30 pm. The staff (known as Star Friends) even remember us from year to year (we've been there three years in a row with a 4, then 5 then 6 year old!)

I can also speak very highly of the Iberostars in the Cancun/Playa Del Carmen area. Prices are very cheap right now; we just got back from the Iberostar Quetzal - but the Tucan, the Lindo, the Paraiso Beach, Paraiso Maya are also all excellent. A week with airfare from California for two people was under $2K, and that includes food, drinks, and entertainment. They are a very family-friendly chain. Only issue is I'm not sure if they have fully supervised activities all day for young kids.

Hi Brewer, We were exactly in your position years ago when our kids were young. We stayed at the Franklin D. Resort in Jamaica and had 2 nannies to care for the kids. Gave us a nice break and we could be with and play with the kids whenever we wanted. It has been a few years since we were there, but you might want to check it out. Regards

Back
Top Bottom