All Together now,,Gas is Cheap!!

We savy ER's have 10,000 gal gas tanks in our back yards to purchase on the dip:confused::confused:?

Right?

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh - erp!

BTY - not CHP - instead back from Walmart where prices jumped 20 cents/gal from my last fill up - probably in time for Denis.

Not being a consipiracy theorist - I know it's only coincidental.

ShokWaveRider said:
I respectfully disagree with all the talking heads pitching Walmart as an oger. Look for yourself. Go into any store, perhaps your favorite family business. You will see for the most part EXACTLY the same products. Just they are more expensive than Walmart. Not by a just a penny either. While I disagree with the Illegal alien hireing intensly, I think that if a business can streamline it's cost LEGALLY, then the rest of Big America has to get with the program or not compete at all. Everyone has the ability to be a Walmart, it is not that they are exclusively buying from China, most of America is. Those are the facts. We may not like it, but that is it.

Just like those big Auto Makers that insist on pushing 7 Litre SUVs and Trucks while fuel prices increase, pushing their financials into Junk Status, then wonder why the Asians, Hyundae and Kia etc. increase their market share.

We all assume inflation is the norm, but bringing the country back to reality, with some salary deflation, while we all would not like it, perhaps would make our products more affordable for our children. And, government should concentrate on making health care and Workmans comp more affordable so companies can make a decent (however reasonable) profit, but not at their employees expense.

Man I am up on that soap box again, sorry.

SWR

It's okay to let it flow man!  Cut the corps. loose.  Let the free market roll.
Remove the excessive regs. and let free enterprise rule.  I think you would like the results.  The only exception I would make is if a company had a complete
monopoly on an absolutely essential product or service.  Otherwise,
let the profit motive and self interest lead the way.

JG

unclemick2 said:
We savy ER's have 10,000 gal gas tanks in our back yards to purchase on the dip:confused::confused:?

Right?

Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh - erp!

Been there done that..... :D tried to time the market, filled the back yard tank (Side yard actually, "Bigger Grin") with gas at $3.00 per gallon. Now I have to hold on to it until it reaches $3.50 to sell it. :'(

SWR

For those who may be "exercised about China, India, Mexico, and the cheap labor/products they stand for:::please pick up a copy of--
The World is Flat, by Thomas L. Friedman.
It is billed as a brief history of the 21st century and brings into focus the real issues of globalization.
It changed my mind about many things, but I'm still  PO'd at 7/11. :mad:

Hmmm

I got Four Pillars and Birth of Plenty for my last birthday.

Is Friedman worth dropping a hint about?

unclemick2 said:
Hmmm

I got Four Pillars and Birth of Plenty for my last birthday.

Is Friedman worth dropping a hint about?
Friedmann is good :)
I'm also 2/3 done with " The Future For Investors" by Jeremy Siegel, and it is a pretty solid investment book. I'm usually let down by these, but Jeremy has done good. Got the Merrimann book waiting in the wings. Live it Up or Something like that.

Laurence said:
They employ a lot of questionably legal aliens in my neck of the woods.  In fact they just settled for 10 million for having their entire cleaning staff (in some regions) be ileagal aliens getting way below market wages.  Their clothes are made in slave wage labor shops.  It's that sort of thing that bothers me.

There's also the fact that they move into small towns, bully the city management into changing zoning laws, built big ugly boxes with out of town construction labor, then put all the local businesses out of business paying rock bottom wages to their staff.   Oh, and the various lawsuits brought by women in managment who hit glass ceilings, and were ridiculed and abused by the male management....

I'll shop at Value Village before I go to Walmart.

Sheryl said:
There's also the fact that they move into small towns, bully the city management into changing zoning laws, built big ugly boxes with out of town construction labor, then put all the local businesses out of business paying rock bottom wages to their staff.   Oh, and the various lawsuits brought by women in managment who hit glass ceilings, and were ridiculed and abused by the male management....

You forgot to say "End of Rant!" :)

JG

Patrick said:
Sounds like capitalism at its finest to me.  There is a much better reason to boycott 7/11, however:  It is owned by Southland Corporation which is a major overt supporter of Handgun Control.  I haven't purchased anything from 7/11 in years.   :D

NB: Southland Corporation changed it's name to 7-Eleven way back in April 1999.

I didn't know they were supporters of hand gun controls. If they still are then they have gone up in my estimations!!

H

Honkie said:
NB: Southland Corporation changed it's name to 7-Eleven way back in April 1999.

I didn't know they were supporters of hand gun controls. If they still are then they have gone up in my estimations!!

H

I would feel much safer if everyone was allowed to apply for concealed carry.
I would NEVER knowingly support any organization advocating
ANY restriction or rollback of gun rights as they exist now.
More guns = less crime. Nuff said.

JG

We get our gas at a "cardlock" station. You apply for a card, then go to unmanned stations and use the card to get your gas (same gas as 76). Every month you get a statement, which you can have paid automatically through your credit card. The gas is generally 10 cents/gallon cheaper than surrounding stations.

Regarding Walmart: Just finished the book Nickeled and Dimed, which talks about what it's like to work at Walmart. Enjoyable read.

Sheryl said:
There's also the fact that they move into small towns, bully the city management into changing zoning laws, built big ugly boxes with out of town construction labor, then put all the local businesses out of business paying rock bottom wages to their staff. Oh, and the various lawsuits brought by women in managment who hit glass ceilings, and were ridiculed and abused by the male management....

My guess is that Walmart uses the cheapest and best construction labor available to keep their costs down. I haven't checked lately, but I don't think the mom'n'pop general store pays its employees very well either. I do know that my consulting fees that Walmart pays for acoustical engineering and traffic engineering services are market rate. I think you might be forgetting about all of the support services that Walmart needs to build and operate its buildings and to fight of NIMBY's and detractors. Many professionals (architects included) get plenty of work from Walmart.

Sounds like capitalism at its finest to me. There is a much better reason to boycott 7/11, however: It is owned by Southland Corporation which is a major overt supporter of Handgun Control. I haven't purchased anything from 7/11 in years. Grin

Wow--imagine that!! 7/11 supporting handgun control. Gosh, I just can't imagine why they might do that? If they were truly for the constitution, they'd sell them right in a display case by the cash register--preloaded. Now that would be a true convenience store!

I know...it's all those East Indians working there. They're trying to destroy our constitution. Bet most of them are in Al Quaida. :-[

Wow--someone actually gave me a reason to shop there. Too bad they don't have anything I want...

Bosco

yelnad said:
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned targeted boycotts:

See Environmental Groups Launch Exxon Boycott http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4749052
Well that is worth a listen.  It is an example of what would be needed to launch a boycott.
Now if the subject of this action was in fact high gas prices, I think lots of folks would sign up.  As it is, these actions would likely take prices the other direction in time without any meaningful enviromental changes. 
I realize that's not what we were talking about, but the older and wiser I get the more I can see the toad through the prince makeup of the mentioned "greenie" groups.
In any case, it will be interesting to watch this effort.  Personally I would not bet on any great success.

MRGALT2U said:
You forgot to say "End of Rant!"  :)

JG

I was trying to, but I slipped and fell off the soapbox. We need a sturdier one around here. ;)

I don't use my car much as I use my bicycle to go everywhere including shopping. Sometime in April, I was in NJ and filled up the tank with cheap gas. I haven't use my car since so for my first trip anywhere this summer, I'll have 14 gallons @ $1.80. When I finally get my first fillup, I hope I don't go through sticker shop.

MJ said:
I don't use my car much as I use my bicycle to go everywhere including shopping. Sometime in April, I was in NJ and filled up the tank with cheap gas. I haven't use my car since so for my first trip anywhere this summer, I'll have 14 gallons @ $1.80. When I finally get my first fillup, I hope I don't go through sticker shop.

I don't really understand why you would go to a sticker shop when you run out of gas. Re. fillup, did you mean "fillip"? That would give your post a whole
different twist.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
I don't really understand why you would go to a sticker shop when you run out of gas.  Re. fillup, did you mean "fillip"?  That would give your post a whole
different twist. 

JG
I'll bet that is "sticker shock"
As gas gets more and more expensive I'm certain the gov will require a sticker showing the MFRS suggested retail price per gallon.  And why not, think of the jobs it would create!! :LOL: :LOL:

MRGALT2U said:
I don't really understand why you would go to a sticker shop when you run out of gas. Re. fillup, did you mean "fillip"? That would give your post a whole
different twist.

JG

As always, thanks for taking the time away from your important daily to do list to help clarifying some of our poorly written posts.
Of course, I always go to a sticker shop to fill-ip my car with stickers. I have a new hybrid car.

Personally?  I'm all for the rise in gasoline prices.  I think it is an outstanding development.  Of course, a hefty gasoline tax with revenues diverted towards energy independence intitiatives (or even rebates for early retirees!) would have been preferable.  But we've crossed that bridge.

I love the fact that miss petite blonde yakking in her cell phone camped out in the passing lane ford expedition driver is paying $.25/mile in gasoline alone for the right to piss me off.  God knows how much total if you figure in the cost of her behemoth.  In a perfect world, she would have to purchase rolls of quarters to feed her Expedition every mile.  But in an imperfect world at least I can watch her filling up at the gas station trying to act cool and non-chalant as the gas pump edges past $70.

tozz

tozz said:
Personally?  I'm all for the rise in gasoline prices.  I think it is an outstanding development.  Of course, a hefty gasoline tax with revenues diverted towards energy independence intitiatives (or even rebates for early retirees!) would have been preferable.  But we've crossed that bridge.

I love the fact that miss petite blonde yakking in her cell phone camped out in the passing lane ford expedition driver is paying $.25/mile in gasoline alone for the right to piss me off.  God knows how much total if you figure in the cost of her behemoth.  In a perfect world, she would have to purchase rolls of quarters to feed her Expedition every mile.  But in an imperfect world at least I can watch her filling up at the gas station trying to act cool and non-chalant as the gas pump edges past $70.

tozz
I love that scene also.  Watching Ms Blonde (there not all blonde,right?) load a quart of milk in the monster is cool as well.  I doubt if these folks will get a grip on the situation til their first financial crisis.

Anyway, did you hear about the petite blonde who took her expedition into the repair shop?? She told the mechanic that it was sputtering and just not running right.  So he popped the hood and had a look.
After a brief inspection he turned to the blonde and said--"no big deal, just crap in the carburetor"
With slight look of relief the blonde answered, " Oh, OK, how often do I need to do that?" :LOL: ::)
DISCLOSURES: 
1.  I hate high gas prices
2. Blondes are cool and just as smart as anyone else. :D

MJ said:
I don't use my car much as I use my bicycle to go everywhere including shopping.

Hi, MJ.  As much as we can, BF and I try to bike to grocery-shop.  BF's biggest problem was how to buy a case of beer.  So he bought a used Burley child trailer recently, but he has yet to unfold/assemble and test it out. 

flipstress said:
Hi, MJ.  As much as we can, BF and I try to bike to grocery-shop.  BF's biggest problem was how to buy a case of beer.  So he bought a used Burley child trailer recently, but he has yet to unfold/assemble and test it out. 

I have a backpack that holds 2 six-packs of bottles and still allows me to fit in the odd vegetable, block of cheese, etc. (I have tested this on several occasions). A case would require my backpacking gear, though.

For awhile, the neighbor's kids used to always ask if they could walk to the grocery store with me. Their mother was happy to have them out of her way for 40 or 50 minutes. They seemed to enjoy the walk and telling me about school. And I got extra help carrying groceries. Unfortunately, they moved away and my pack labor is gone. It's just my DW, me, and our backpacks now. :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom