Am I Retired!?

Montecfo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Or am I?

Well, I am Financially Independent. So checked that box.
I do have a job. Full time. At least theoretically.

But it only requires my part-time attention. I seldom go to the office. Much of what I do is on a schedule I can dictate. Well, a few times a year I have key external meetings, and maybe an internal meeting that may last most of the day once a month. But most of what I do is reviewing documents and responding to email, which may take 1 to say 5 hours a day. But I am using my skills and capitalizing on my experience by not having to put in all that much time to achieve results. My team is also experienced and in place for a while.

I know some folks struggle with how to fill their time after FIRE. Some take a second act job, or work part time, or volunteer. It can be hard to find a part-time job that is fulfilling. Sure I complain some, but I try to keep it to myself. And here.

So perhaps I am already retired and I did not realize it until now. I just have the best part-time job in America?

Differing views welcome.

Only you can answer that question. The definition of "retired" is quite different depending on who you ask. It's about as subjective as what one might find to be "perfect" in a spouse.

For me, I wouldn't be caught using some of the words you used:

-External Meeting
-Internal Meeting
-Capitalizing
-Achieve
-Team
-Experienced

It all sounds too much like lyrics from Weird Al's "Mission Statement".

Edit to add: Plus, it appears that you have your j*b title as part of your username. So if I actually *had* to vote...I would definitely say, "NOT RETIRED". ;)

Last edited:
You’re whatever you want to be, say you are...

911!!! We need the IRP STAT!

If you are FI, and just working to putz around and do stuff, I vote yes. But others here might not see it that way. Think of yourself as a well compensated volunteer. I'm a volunteer. My compensation is awesome - it's just not financial. YMMV. :)

Or am I?

But it only requires my part-time attention. I seldom go to the office. Much of what I do is on a schedule I can dictate. Well, a few times a year I have key external meetings, and maybe an internal meeting that may last most of the day once a month. But most of what I do is reviewing documents and responding to email, which may take 1 to say 5 hours a day. But I am using my skills and capitalizing on my experience by not having to put in all that much time to achieve results. My team is also experienced and in place for a while.

I know some folks struggle with how to fill their time after FIRE. Some take a second act job, or work part time, or volunteer. It can be hard to find a part-time job that is fulfilling. Sure I complain some, but I try to keep it to myself. And here.

So perhaps I am already retired and I did not realize it until now. I just have the best part-time job in America?

Differing views welcome.
I think generally the common term semi-retired indicates someone is FI or almost FI and has a lower stress job part-time job or gone to much shorter hours at the current job for whatever reason as a stepping stone to full retirement. Seems like you probably fall into that category?

Last edited:
Sounds like working to me still, but that's me.
I spent this morning working on a topspin serve for Pickleball. Work of a different sort I guess.

Or am I?

Differing views welcome.

You're not retired. You are exactly what you say you are: a person with a great part time job. Why call that something it isn't?

An exception to this view would be when a person is deemed "retired" by a previous employer and has some retiree benefits due to that status. For example, you spend 20 yrs in the military and "retire." Then you find a private sector job and work full time. You'd say that you're "retired" from the military and now working for the Acme Corp.

Last edited:
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet

Perhaps so, but it just appears as though he/she enjoys their j*b...and in the words of George Costanza, "Not that there is anything wrong with that."

I am in a similar position, and call myself semi-retired. If I were to fully retire, it would be a disaster for the multi-state partnership I manage (agriculture). There is a huge difference between being the boss vs. running desperately on a corporate hamster wheel; I'm lucky to be able to set my own schedule. However, like a large garden, my business needs continual modest attention or it will suffer greatly. So, unlike some folks on this board I can't take off for a few months to sail around the world, hence the 'semi-retired' label. :)

I plan to w*rk semi retired in 2019.
The job is full time, from home, online.
Most w*rk is based on my schedule except for twice a month, all day meeting near by.

I'm not at FRA yet so this w*rk gets me 1 year closer with little stress.

I have seen these sentiments expressed from time to time, that if you are "retired" you must not work.

But dozens maybe hundreds of people on this board work post "retirement", so that does not seem to be a hard and fast rule.

I am in a similar position, and call myself semi-retired. If I were to fully retire, it would be a disaster for the multi-state partnership I manage (agriculture). There is a huge difference between being the boss vs. running desperately on a corporate hamster wheel; I'm lucky to be able to set my own schedule. However, like a large garden, my business needs continual modest attention or it will suffer greatly. So, unlike some folks on this board I can't take off for a few months to sail around the world, hence the 'semi-retired' label. :)

Great litmus test :flowers:

I plan to w*rk semi retired in 2019.
The job is full time, from home, online.
Most w*rk is based on my schedule except for twice a month, all day meeting near by.

I'm not at FRA yet so this w*rk gets me 1 year closer with little stress.
In my case, FRA is meaningless. There are no retiree benefits in my company. Financially I do not need a job. I am continuing to work because it is a great part-time job. If it becomes too time consuming or other BS becomes too much I will quit.

the bigger questions are:

Are you satisfied with your work arrangement?

Are you happy?

If the answers are yes, then don't change a thing.

the bigger questions are:

Are you satisfied with your work arrangement?

Are you happy?

If the answers are yes, then don't change a thing.
It is working for me presently. If that changes I will change it.

I am ok if people don't think I am retired or if they do. I would never see myself as the judge of that. But it is an interesting question.

I usually accept a person's own decision as to whether or not they are retired, because it's none of my business. Who am I to say? That said, the definition of retired, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, is:
Definition of retired
: secluded
a retired village
: withdrawn from one's position or occupation : having concluded one's working or professional career
: received by or due to one in retirement

By this definition, and from what you said, I would tend to conclude that you are not retired because apparently you have not concluded your working or professional career.

However I suppose you could look for, or invent, another definition if you want. :) We are not the retirement police. :police:

Call it what you want, but I had an almost identical situation toward the end of my working life, and I did not consider myself retired. But it's just a label. You say you don't care, but yet you ask, and in post 12 you talk about others who call themselves retired yet you say they still work.

Wait until you reveal your low WR, and people tell you that you worked too long. Hopefully you can ignore them and laugh. I never regretted those last couple years where I padded my nest egg while doing very little.

I usually accept a person's own decision as to whether or not they are retired, because it's none of my business. Who am I to say? That said, the definition of retired, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, is:

By this definition, and from what you said, I would tend to conclude that you are not retired because apparently you have not concluded your working or professional career.

However I suppose you could look for, or invent, another definition if you want. :) We are not the retirement police. :police:
I dont disagree. But that definition does not work very well for people who, for example, work on their early retirement blogs (touting their early retirement) or work at part time jobs after leaving their primary careers.

I dont disagree. But that definition does not work very well for people who, for example, work on their early retirement blogs (touting their early retirement) or work at part time jobs after leaving their primary careers.

Exactly, I think I worked 40 hours this year for an old client.... I still consider myself more retired than part-time :cool:

I had a similar gig to Op's. Back then, I felt like I was retired.

It wasn't until my gig ended and I entered retirement bliss that I realized that I was not retired until I fully quit my job.

Although OP is not retied in my opinion, he has a sweet part time job.

I still work in our business maybe 10 hours a week, ten years ago it was 60 hours, so I figure I'm retired. Recently we were at a dinner party and a lady next to me said I know what your wife does what do you do? I looked straight at her and said I fly fish. She then looked over at my wife and she nodded in approval. At the moment it's snowing windy and 20 degrees, so I'm keeping the wood stove company. Retirement is different for everyone.

I consider retirement: doing what makes you happy and fulfilled. That can mean working at something for little or no money, regardless, it's what you want to do. You're not forced to show up, to play the "game," to rely on the income to live comfortably from work (you hate).

To define retirement as not working, is not fair. My DH consults from home, makes his own hours, enjoys keeping a foot in his old career, he gets up when he wants, he goes swimming at the Y almost everyday, walks the dog and enjoys life. Much different than the megacorp world.

I volunteer, a lot. My passion, the forest preserves educating kids about nature. There is no obligation.

In my opinion, anyone that has a "team" is not retired.
Unless your team is:

1. you, your dog and your loved one
2. Movie watching buddies
3. Drinking team

4. Playing tennis, swimming, hiking team
5. Vacation team:dance:

Back
Top Bottom