Amazon & China

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I see many items that Amazon says will be sent to China..........the normal charge is given but later the China surcharge is added and the total can be multiple times of the original. what's going on here?

I see many items that Amazon says will be sent to China..........the normal charge is given but later the China surcharge is added and the total can be multiple times of the original. what's going on here?

Not sure what you mean by normal charge and China surcharge. Is this import duties or shipping related?

I'm not seeing that either...and I am having trouble imagining what you're saying. It's giving shipping costs TO China? That's just...bizarre. Can you post a screenshot? Are you using a VPN or proxy that might make it look like you're viewing the site from China?

not seeing what you mentioned on the page link, can you post a screen shot?

The item doesn't ship From china, and I'm assuming you're not posting from China yourself. All the SKU's on that listing are shipped by Amazon.

$33.99
Total cost: $72.48 including Shipping & Estimated Import Fees Deposit to China Details
Arrives: Jan 8 - 14
In Stock.
Qty:
Qty:1
Add to Cart
Buy Now
Secure transaction
Ships fromShips from AmazonAmazon
Sold bySold by Linden ProductsLinden Products

sorry don't know how to a screen shot so just copy/paste above
The amazon link I posted has this info when I'm logged into ER.
surprised you can't see it.......................

$33.99
Total cost: $72.48 including Shipping & Estimated Import Fees Deposit to China Details
Arrives: Jan 8 - 14
In Stock.
Qty:
Qty:1
Add to Cart
Buy Now
Secure transaction
Ships fromShips from AmazonAmazon
Sold bySold by Linden ProductsLinden Products

sorry don't know how to a screen shot so just copy/paste above
The amazon link I posted has this info when I'm logged into ER.
surprised you can't see it.......................

This is what I see:

Attachments

• Amazon.JPG
    Amazon.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 46
If you don't use any proxies or VPNs, try pulling the plug on your home router and plugging it back in. Amazon thinks your IP address is in China. I started up the Tor Browser, which has a built-in proxy for anonymity, and this is what I got. You could also just change your delivery location up there. Did you have anything shipped to China recently? Are you sure you're logged in?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-19 14.28.49.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-12-19 14.28.49.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 34
If you don't use any proxies or VPNs, try pulling the plug on your home router and plugging it back in. Amazon thinks your IP address is in China. I started up the Tor Browser, which has a built-in proxy for anonymity, and this is what I got. You could also just change your delivery location up there. Did you have anything shipped to China recently? Are you sure you're logged in?
your

thanks all for your observations and tips. Cosmic........thanks for your tip.......I rebooted both router/modem w/ no success. I also rebooted Mac w/no success. The telltale sign seemed to be a China note on the
amzn page up at the very top.

the final desperation move was to clear the Chrome cache.............................................................................................................................................and voila.........bye bye China so the amzn pg comes up w/o the China note.

.............and as a nice bonus, the you tube musical videos which previously could be raised to annoying volumes yesterday were limited to barely audible at max .............now that seems back to normal :)

all this from chrome clear cache..........:confused:?

Costs more to ship to China.

all this from chrome clear cache..........:confused:?

Yes. Although I'm not sure about any volume change, that could have been the reboot impacting the sound hardware.

Try this: set your browser to always delete cookies on close. Then close it whenever you're done at any specific site.

You'll find things don't "follow" you around. Like, you search for widgets on one site, and all of a sudden ads for widgets appear on others, such as your Amazon recommendations.

And, change your "location" setting to ask you before sending your location. It could be this got messed up just once, and the cookie was set. After that you were in assumed to be in China until you cleared the cookies.

One caveat: you might actually want cookies at some sites (like this one.) You can add exceptions to the rule about clearing cookies on exit.

You might also want to install an extension like Ghostery which disables third-party cookies. These are how your activities get tracked between different sites, and are of virtually no value to you at all.

Yes. Although I'm not sure about any volume change, that could have been the reboot impacting the sound hardware.

Try this: set your browser to always delete cookies on close. Then close it whenever you're done at any specific site.

You'll find things don't "follow" you around. Like, you search for widgets on one site, and all of a sudden ads for widgets appear on others, such as your Amazon recommendations.

And, change your "location" setting to ask you before sending your location. It could be this got messed up just once, and the cookie was set. After that you were in assumed to be in China until you cleared the cookies.

One caveat: you might actually want cookies at some sites (like this one.) You can add exceptions to the rule about clearing cookies on exit.

You might also want to install an extension like Ghostery which disables third-party cookies. These are how your activities get tracked between different sites, and are of virtually no value to you at all.

CaptTom.........will have to study up a bit on these things. Just happy that clearing the cache seemed to have done so much.....................

Back
Top Bottom