Amazon Kindle ... again

Is the screen lit (or backlit)? That may explain the easier reading.

I'm hopeless now without my reading glasses. And I'm only 50!

Audrey

No, in fact (according to what I have read on the internet, and you know the internet is always right :rolleyes:) that is WHY I haven't been experiencing eyestrain.

I didn't believe it, and before buying thought the lack of a backlit screen would be a disadvantage. However, amazingly, in real experience it seems a lot easier on my eyes than the backlit screens I have used. Go figure.

Another thing that I read on the internet, but didn't believe, is that the Kindle is less likely than paper books to cause motion sickness when reading in a car. Today, we traveled to Gonzales Louisiana and back and I read out loud to Frank from it the whole way while he drove. He is a sweetie and didn't mind. :LOL: I didn't get motion sick, and I almost always do with paper books.

W2R - your new avatar is scaring me! :eek:

Audrey

:2funny: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh good! I was tired of my sweet, understanding Eva Habermann avatar and wanted something that would SHOCK and scare people just as a refreshing change. The panther mask just didn't quite do it. :D

I won't keep this one long. :) Just long enough to imagine the old geezers on the board looking at it like this :cool: and muttering "Sheesh!"

:2funny: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh good! I was tired of my sweet, understanding Eva Habermann avatar and wanted something that would SHOCK and scare people just as a refreshing change. The panther mask just didn't quite do it. :D

I won't keep this one long. :) Just long enough to imagine the old geezers on the board looking at it like this :cool: and muttering "Sheesh!"

I thought maybe you were turning over a new leaf....:LOL:

I have been a Kindler (K1) for two years now and would not go back to reading DTBs if I can help it.

If you are new to e-readers here are some sites that may be if interest.
Book Lovers' Links

Amazon.com: Free Book Collections: Kindle Store

Ebook and Texts Archive : Free Books : Free Texts : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

WebScription Ebooks - Free Library
Free SiFi books found here.

Books on The Knob
Lots of free books here.

A Kindle World blog

Even though the initial coat of a Kindle is high you can more than make up for that cost in free reading material that you can pick up. True you can access a lot of those same sourses if you down load Kindle for PC/MAC et al or Caliber and read them on your computer or net book or phone. However the Kindle offers a much more comfortable reading experience and does not need to be recharged as often as the Ipad has to be.

Thanks for the links, Cattusbabe!

I treated myself to all nine books on my "wish list" last night, as well, for $78 from the Kindle Store. I am having a ball reading them. But even the two classics on that list (that were also on my high school required reading lists 45 years ago) cost $0.99 each. Later on, I will probably take advantage of the free books on your list as well.

Is the screen lit (or backlit)? That may explain the easier reading.

I'm hopeless now without my reading glasses. And I'm only 50!

Interestingly, My Blackberry Storm has a Kindle App (free) that I installed. It is, in fact, easier to read than paper. Granted the 3"x2" screen would not be to everyone's liking but I am suitably impressed... not enough to purchase am e-book but nevertheless I am interested in the technology. (My reluctance to purchase is more a LBYM issue than anything to do with readability.)

The problem is we are the old geezers since most of the posters aren't near SS age !:)

The problem is we are the old geezers since most of the posters aren't near SS age !:)

I regard myself as an "old geezeress", not an old geezer! :D

'Scuse me- - I gotta go chase those young scalawags off my lawn again! ;)

I have looked at the kindle numerous times and haven't pulled the plug . The reason is I like to read new releases and I read a lot . Currently I buy some and either resell them or pass them on to my friends and family or I use the library which is a few blocks away . So My kindle bill would run about $50 to $60 a month and have nothing to show for that . I have seen barely used or new kindles on ebay at bargain prices so eventually I might bite .

I have looked at the kindle numerous times and haven't pulled the plug . The reason is I like to read new releases and I read a lot . Currently I buy some and either resell them or pass them on to my friends and family or I use the library which is a few blocks away .

Here's a reason to buy one that you may have forgotten about - - travel:
I've also toyed with buying one . I read constantly and when I travel I leave a trail of books behind me . I've seen the Sony reader for $299 but I've heard better things about the kindle .

You can carry a dozen books with you on your trip, and it only weighs a few ounces. :D

By the way, while reading about the Kindle I discovered that you can read Kindle books on your iPhone if you want to.

Your post prompted me to check whether there was a kindle app for PCs. And there is! I downloaded the app and my kindle library onto my new netbook and it is much easier to read the books on the netbook than it is on the iPhone. Woohooo! :flowers:

Your post prompted me to check whether there was a kindle app for PCs. And there is! I downloaded the app and my kindle library onto my new netbook and it is much easier to read the books on the netbook than it is on the iPhone. Woohooo! :flowers:

Yes, I forgot to mention that one! Hope you enjoy it. Even though paper books are more fun (for those who can still read them), sometimes it is really nice to be able to carry a lot of books, such as when traveling. Also it is nice to have books with me when I have to wait unexpectedly for some reason.

There's a Kindle 1 on Craigslist here for $175 that's tempting me... One review that I read says that if you just want it for reading, Kindle 1 is just about as good.

There's a Kindle 1 on Craigslist here for $175 that's tempting me... One review that I read says that if you just want it for reading, Kindle 1 is just about as good.

Another source of information on the K1 v K2 question might be the Kindle message board on Amazon. Lots of Kindle users, lots of posts too.

Firedreamer ,what netbook did you buy ! I am really interested in getting one for travel since I need to carry my laptop but it is getting heavy .

Here's a reason to buy one that you may have forgotten about - - travel:
You can carry a dozen books with you on your trip, and it only weighs a few ounces. :D
Another resource while traveling...I've downloaded specific area travel guides onto my Kindle 2 to take with me on my solo adventures. I read them on the flight or in the airport and make up my [-]plan of attack[/-] list of places to visit. I own a GPS, but that does not provide any descriptions or hours of operation.
The combo of the two tech devices is fabulous for my needs.

I've had my Kindle 2 about a year and truly adore it. Like anything it has good and bad points.

I am on my second Kindle actually. The first one had the screen go out about 2 months after I got it. I will say that Amazon very quickly replaced it and I've had no problems since then.

I adore being able to take a whole library of books in a very small package. I can still remember when I went on the first vacation with DH and he was dumbfounded that I would take an entire suitcase of books (well I didn't know what I would be in the mood to read during the week so....) Now, I just take the Kindle. I recently got the Kindle for BB and like it also. I usually will read the Kindle in preference to the BB. The BB does have the advantage of being back lit.

One thing I also like about the Kindle is you can associate one Kindle account with either 5 or 6 devices. So my son's ipod touch and my DH's iphone are associated with my account, letting all of us share books.

I do agree that the lack of back light makes it easy to use. That said, it would be nice to have a backlight option for when you are in low light conditions.

Also, battery life is long...so long as you turn the wireless off. I usually keep it off unless I am downloading a book.

There is one thing that I don't like. I had ebooks in non-secure mobipocket format that I owned pre-Kindle. The good news is that the Kindle will display them so I can still read them. However, I've yet to find a way to get Kindle for iphone or for BB to read those non-Kindle books. The Amazon site lets me send to those other devices the books bought from Amazon but does not allow me to send those other non-Kindle books. I know they could be read on those other devices using other software but that is a pain.

Back
Top Bottom