Amazon's Slow Free Super Shipping

I didn't know that, but I did just buy a painting from an artist who offered free shipping. It makes the deal more attractive to the buyers or did me, at least.
Everybody is struggling: the artist to sell, the buyer who wants to save, ebays sales are probably down, etc.

As far as "free shipping" goes, what's even been worse is the way eBay has been strong-arming sellers into offering free shipping on everything. Some stuff is quite costly to ship relative to its value.

For me personally, I wish Amazon would do this. I usually sort by 'free shipping' (well, it's not 'free', it's included in the pricing model overall) because it makes comparison shopping easier. Amazon doesn't seem to let you sort by "total price with shipping", so I get these silly $0.99 products with $15.99 shipping, and then I have to compare that to the product for $12.99 with 'free shipping' that drops down to page three.

If Amazon would let you sort by "total price with shipping", that would be fine too. I just want easy transparency. You are going to pay that shipping one way or the other. TANSTAAFL.

-ERD50

You're not getting what you paid for?

It really is all a matter of perspective. Amazon used to be so good with free/standard shipping. The product would arrive usually before the estimated date. Now it seems like the product would usually arrive at or after the estimated date. I guess it's like going to a car lot. You can go cheap (who needs an A/C or 4 doors in a car anyway?) or pay more for better service.

This reminds me of Service Merchandise. Remember that place? There wasn't a premium rate for them. Their business model was you go to the store, select the product you want (either by paper slip) or if you were daring try their computer (using computers to buy stuff was novel at that time). Then you wait and wait for the stuff to come up from their basement warehouse onto the conveyor belt where your named would be called. You'd select the stuff, and wait for about an hour or so (if it was busy) but the savings were passed on to you.

I remember one Christmastime (last time I ever went to a Service Merchandise) it took forever for stuff. This elderly man was steamed so much you could boil an egg at the back of his neck :LOL:. Can't blame him though.

Kind of like getting the cheapseats at a concert (did that before, and the concert was very pleasant). You do get what you pay for.

The pleasant surprise of Amazon shipping fast for even free shipping may be over though.

It will be interesting to see if Amazon's new approach will serve them well or not.

I noticed this the last time, it seemed to be held a few days but since the warehouse is in the same time I am in, I got it the next day after I got my tracking number.

I just got an email for one of my orders. Shows product sent, includes tracking number, expected delivery date is tomorrow. So, if the product arrives tomorrow, the time really wasn't that long of a wait (only 5 days wait to save $43 on shipping).

Maybe it's just the way they notify their customers that is different, but actual time difference not that much.

I've had Amazon Prime for quite a while now, but family and friends who don't and shop their regularly haven't had any complaints, and this comes from me being there when the items arrived.

Amazon Prime has more than paid for itself in saving me gas, taxes, and the general lower cost of items. Since I typically order books or movies that have release dates that would leave me waiting weeks before I hit the $25 minimum, it'd make more sense to run up to the nearest store to buy them, or pay the 75$ to have each item shipped to me individually. The money spent is more than worth the time I'd spend waiting.

$75 a year is actually quite cheap. Simple math comes out to $6.25 per month.

That said, I'm tracking the heavier package that I received the notify of sent today. Does look like the package will arrive tomorrow which not bad at all. 50lb package, free shipping in 5 days.

It varies. I use the free shipping all but one time out of probably a hundred orders. Occasionally an item gets delayed, it's been rare.

I often get the product in 1, 2 or 3 days, very seldom does it take 4 or 5, almost never longer. I consider the $75 for Prime a waste. I rarely ever need anything faster than a few days, but of course, each person has to decide that for themselves.

Same here. My Free Super Shipping orders normally go out the door within 48 hours and I have always gotten them within the estimated timeframe. If I had to have next day or second day service, I'd pay for it. Free is good.

Amazon Prime-Worthwhile

Have been an Amazon Prime member for several years. It more than pays for itself, with the number of purchases we make. I often need or want items within 1-2 days and would have had to pay MUCH more the $75 in a year for fast shipping. The Prime membership is well worth it to our family.

I'm currently in the "Shipping Soon" limbo for an item I ordered Saturday afternoon (3/5). The delivery estimate is 3/10-3/15. I chose the free shipping because I'm cheap/frugal and I'm mature enough to wait......

But I'm also like a big kid and this is my birthday present that I bought with birthday money from my MIL and an Amazon gift card from my son so I keep checking my Amazon account to see if it's shipped yet and then I'll be tracking it as soon as I get a tracking number. The tracking is half the fun.

Oh, oh, the Wells Fargo wagon is a comin' down the street....

YouTube - The Wells Fargo Wagon

As far as "free shipping" goes, what's even been worse is the way eBay has been strong-arming sellers into offering free shipping on everything. Some stuff is quite costly to ship relative to its value.

I sell on ebay and the only time I offer free shipping is Christmas . Since ebay has changed the format it is not obvious that the shipping is free . Free shipping does not increase my sales and it means more money in Ebay's pocket via fees . Plus I only charge actual shipping so most of my items ship under $5.

I live about 50 miles from the Fernley, Nevada shipping center. My packages almost always arrive in just a couple of days. Unless, they don't have something then it comes from Kentucky or some such place. Because of the proximity, we use Amazon a lot and never noticed a delay in shipping. Maybe that's also due to the proximity. Possibly they pick the items and ship them since they are delivered from the UPS sorting facility in Reno.

I tried Prime and liked it except for one thing- UPS does the delivery, and we have no concierge, so if I am not home I get a delivery notice and have to travel across town to pick it up.

So after my trial I let it lapse. If I lived in a concierge building I would definitely buy Prime. OTOH most of what I buy with Super Saver Free comes by USPS, and he has a key to come into the lobby.

Ha

I'm currently in the "Shipping Soon" limbo for an item I ordered Saturday afternoon (3/5). The delivery estimate is 3/10-3/15. I chose the free shipping because I'm cheap/frugal and I'm mature enough to wait......

Got the email this morning that it shipped yesterday and I should expect delivery tomorrow, which was the earliest date of the estimated delivery when I ordered it.

It's a pressure cooker. Growing up I always had one and got one as a wedding present and used it all the time until microwaves became popular. I kept it and still used it until I couldn't get parts easily, before the internet. My new one is different than the old style and it gets great reviews on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Futura by Hawkins Hard Anodized 6.0 Litre Pressure Cooker from Hawkins: Kitchen & Dining

Since I ordered it I've found some great recipes online and also borrowed books from the library to get some ideas. First thing will be my favorite chicken vegetable soup.

It's a pressure cooker. Growing up I always had one and got one as a wedding present and used it all the time until microwaves became popular. I kept it and still used it until I couldn't get parts easily, before the internet. My new one is different than the old style and it gets great reviews on Amazon.
So, another dedicated pressure cooking enthusiast! How do you use it?

I have had a pressure cooker for maybe 25 years. Bought it when married, and it went with me afterward. It's a 6 qt.stainless, apparently indestructible, and I use it usually twice a week anyway. I mostly cook meat, then add it to my dinners and lunches. I feel that it saves me time and money, and allows me to eat a more healthy diet.

I lube the gasket with coconut oil, and it is still in good shape.

I have a great French style recipe book that some guy in Alaska wrote. It was out of print, so I borrowed it from a friend, copied it and had it ring bound. Right now it is still packed in my storeroom so I have to retrieve it.

Ha

Dang, I have two pressure cookers, one huge and one brand new small one still in the box that I got last Christmas. I have got to figure out how to use them!
Any recipes you want to share, Ha (or Sues soup)? Simple stuff--please! No gourmands around my house.

free prime for 3 months

If you have any relation to a real or imagined child you can get prime benefits free for 3 months..

Amazon Mom

Dang, I have two pressure cookers, one huge and one brand new small one still in the box that I got last Christmas. I have got to figure out how to use them!
Any recipes you want to share, Ha (or Sues soup)? Simple stuff--please! No gourmands around my house.
I don't eat beans or rice, so currently I mainly use mine to cook cheaper tougher cuts of meat, to use however I wish. Cook a whole chiken, bone it and put the meat in the fridg for use in curries, tacos if you eat them, chicken salad, etc. I cook briskets, rump roast, country style ribs, corned beef- and use however I want. I am no gourmet either!

One dish I make complete in the PC is chile colorado, no beans. It could be made fine with beans, using whatever spices and herbs you enjoy. Mine is fiery hot. Any meat and bean dish is an easy combo.

One more thing- I almost always cook in the steamer basket, rather than down in the water. I use the minimum amount of water to give me a concentrated base for a sauce, or just to have as a soup for supper. Yesterday I made a rump roast, and ate it with a sauce of sautéed onions and garlic and celery and finely chopped carrot. Then last night I cooked spinach in the remaining broth for my supper.

Usually if you cook a tough cut of beef and vegetables for the same amount of time, you will be having vegetable mush. There are complicated methods such as de-pressurizing after a certain amount of time and adding the veg, but I don't find that very appealing. If I wanted to cook more veggies to serve alongside the meat I think I would buy a 2nd cooker.

Ha

I ordered a pack of flea med prevention(for the dog;)) just using the free shipping option and got it in 7 days. About what I expected. I have ordered a few other things through Amazon and had the same experience.

I order vet stuff from Pet Shed, Dawg, you might want to check them out although I suspect my quantities are WAY higher than yours to justify ordering stuff from Australia!

Ha, at the risk of sounding completely senseless...so, you put the chicken in a basket, add how much water and then what, turn on the stove to high and wait for it to explode?

Details, please! I've cooked chicken sort of like you've described in my crockpot, but the pressure cooker sort of freaks me out.

I order vet stuff from Pet Shed, Dawg, you might want to check them out although I suspect my quantities are WAY higher than yours to justify ordering stuff from Australia!

Ha, at the risk of sounding completely senseless...so, you put the chicken in a basket, add how much water and then what, turn on the stove to high and wait for it to explode?

Details, please! I've cooked chicken sort of like you've described in my crockpot, but the pressure cooker sort of freaks me out.
Sarah, I want you to avoid all explosions.:) First, carefully read your instructions. Does your cooker cook at 15 psi? The Indian cookware maker Hawkins suggest a minimum of 1 cup water to get up to pressure, and 1/2 additional cups for each ten minutes of cooktime. I have a plastic McDonalds glass from a super sized iced tea- for most steamed things I just put in that glass-full. Hawkins has a good website with lots of Indian recipes. Apparently pressure cookers are very popular in India because of fuel saving.

You turn heat on high until operating pressure is reached, (you will know because steam will be escaping from the regulator valve). Then turn it down until just a bit of steam is escaping as you go along. Too vigorous steam escape means you are wasting water and increasing the chance to go dry, no steam escaping means you are not pressure cooking. If you have not cut the heat and no steam is escaping after it has once come up to pressure, you are likely out of water and should take the pot off the heat, wait for the pressure to dissipate, and open up and add more water. Your directions will tell exactly how to use the thing safely.

When I steam meat usually the basket will be above the water level, so the chicken or meat cooks solely in the steam.

For lunch I cooked collards and other greens with ham hocks (and onion and carrot and chiles, etc.), down in the water.

Worked great, though I think I can shorten cook time next time around. I didn't expect this but the carrots were perfect and the greens a little softer than I usually like- I thought the greens would need more time than the carrots.

It is hard to stuff a whole TJ bag of greens into my pretty large 8 qt cooker, but when you take off the top you wonder where they all went!

Ha

I happened to order 3 things from Amazon today. 2 of the 3, including the one from Amazon itself that I used Super Saver Shipping on, already have a status of "shipping".

I've been a Prime member since they started the program. I make a huge number of Internet purchases, both business and personal, and I shop around. Total price (product plus shipping) almost always wins on Amazon. Since I live in the boonies, delivery time is important to me. Often I need something overnight and the $3.99 overnight shipping pays for the Prime membership pretty quickly, especially on larger items.

I've received products from them both via UPS and USPS. The UPS guy will knock on the garage door if he sees my car at the house because he knows I'm usually at home, waits for me to open the garage door and hands it to me, or leave it on the front porch when my vehicle isn't there. The USPS lady will put it on the front porch whether or not I am home. The dogs know them and don't bark or chase them off!

I always use the free (slow) delivery service from Amazon. I don't mind waiting a few more days for my books or other stuff to arrive.

Back
Top Bottom