Angry at the hospital

His DNR stated and listed no heroic measures. That did not include withholding food and water.
Condolences.

I’m an MD and have to say I think if anyone is not able to eat/drink safety then a feeding tube is 100% the way to go rather than no oral intake.

A feeding tube (PEG tube) can be placed in 30-35 minuets under anesthesia. The tube sticks out of stomach and so bypassing the swallowing. It’s quick and effective. Can give liquid food and medicine through the PEG tube. People live at home and can do all normal activity with a PEG tube.

If some time in future the patient is able to eat food the tube can be removed simply by pulling it out. Literally one minute no anesthesia.

I’m not sure why you or your father would decline a feeding tube in the hospital It’s like going to a barber shop and then declining a haircut. Maybe you were picturing a nasal feeding tube which is temporary and I’m sure is much more uncomfortable. A PEG feeding tube was likely the way to go, I think it’s sad that it happened but when you go to a hospital and refuse medical advice then you can have poor outcomes. Either way it was not a good prognosis with broken hip and UTI likely from dehydration in the first place a PEG tube would have done good things but these occurrences typically end in death not too far in the future (poor health, UTI, broken hip, dehydration they are pointing to the end imo).

I think aspiration pneumonia is a real risk with what you described and better to take a feeding tube than get aspiration and need a ventilator.

Last edited:
Condolences.

I’m an MD and have to say I think if anyone is not able to eat/drink safety then a feeding tube is 100% the way to go rather than no oral intake.

A feeding tube (PEG tube) can be placed in 30-35 minuets under anesthesia. The tube sticks out of stomach and so bypassing the swallowing. It’s quick and effective. Can give liquid food and medicine through the PEG tube. People live at home and can do all normal activity with a PEG tube.

If some time in future the patient is able to eat food the tube can be removed simply by pulling it out. Literally one minute no anesthesia.

I’m not sure why you or your father would decline a feeding tube in the hospital It’s like going to a barber shop and then declining a haircut. Maybe you were picturing a nasal feeding tube which is temporary and I’m sure is much more uncomfortable. A PEG feeding tube was likely the way to go, I think it’s sad that it happened but when you go to a hospital and refuse medical advice then you can have poor outcomes. Either way it was not a good prognosis with broken hip and UTI likely from dehydration in the first place a PEG tube would have done good things but these occurrences typically end in death not too far in the future (poor health, UTI, broken hip, dehydration they are pointing to the end imo).

I think aspiration pneumonia is a real risk with what you described and better to take a feeding tube than get aspiration and need a ventilator.
I appreciate your explanation. My recollection of 3 relatives/friends in their 90's, my DM, my and DH grandmother, actually 4, DH grandfather and DF down the street. Then, my DMI with 4th stage colon cancer. Never an explanation nor a plan to use a PEG tube as you described. Seriously. My DM refused to eat in her last weeks. I did not know what a PEG tube was nor was one offered. The DR for my DF down the street did not sedate this woman in her 90's when he put an NG Tube, I thought that's what it was. She screamed in pain. Where are the DR's like you?

I understand why many won’t like a NG tube not just putting in painful but then it’s uncomfortable to have in your nose all the time. A PEG is more invasive to put in but use anesthesia, but once in place it’s a non issue. No pain or discomfort.

Course it’s too late but maybe the PEG tube would have brought more comfort and hydration to your father. In the end frail people don’t live forever but we’d like to have as much comfort and dignity not what happened here.

I had a small bowel obstruction. Pray tell your son has recovered. I did not have surgery because they used an NG (nasogastric tube) that removed bile from my small bowel. I believe the stomach pump you referred to is the NG tube. It is awful to insert. You have to be awake and swallow until it reaches the exact location in your stomach. This takes multiple ex-rays. The tube and pump remain for several days. Came within an hour of surgery. The tube was successful. I just about cried when I read your post.

Yes, he is now doing great. Thank you. Each and every day I count my blessings to still have my son. It is even hard to type this without becoming very emotional.

Yes, they had to NG him...two different times. Yes, it was awful for him to go through, and after all was said and done I wonder if I would have had the inner strength to do the same.

After doing the tube placement, we had to go down to get XRAYs to see if the placement was correct. He had been throwing up (hundreds of times) over several days, was taken completely off food and then off liquids. He was already severely underweight and weak. It had been a real struggle to do the NG tube. and he was crying that he didn't want it. While we were waiting for the XRAY, a family was talking to an elderly woman who there for some test. They were upset with her because she was refusing to undergo more tests. She had had enough. My son was watching this. He looked at me for awhile, then softly told me that he wasn't ready to give up.

Yes, he is now doing great. Thank you. Each and every day I count my blessings to still have my son. It is even hard to type this without becoming very emotional.

Yes, they had to NG him...two different times. Yes, it was awful for him to go through, and after all was said and done I wonder if I would have had the inner strength to do the same.

After doing the tube placement, we had to go down to get XRAYs to see if the placement was correct. He had been throwing up (hundreds of times) over several days, was taken completely off food and then off liquids. He was already severely underweight and weak. It had been a real struggle to do the NG tube. and he was crying that he didn't want it. While we were waiting for the XRAY, a family was talking to an elderly woman who there for some test. They were upset with her because she was refusing to undergo more tests. She had had enough. My son was watching this. He looked at me for awhile, then softly told me that he wasn't ready to give up.
So relieved and happy your son is doing well. I hope the very best for him. My first cousin, an admin nurse at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore had a SBO while traveling. They had to go to a small hospital off the highway for the treatment. It happens so unexpectedly and is difficult to figure out (for the medical staff).

My eating habits have changed forever. Small meals, lots of fiber and rarely eat after 4 p.m.

So sorry about the loss of your dad, and the circumstances that surrounded the event. Hopefully the end of life bad memories will fade soon and you can get on with your happy memories to comfort you and your family.

my deepest sympathy on the loss of your father

i am of the school that dictates i may forgive , but i will NEVER forget ,

regarding the lost wallet i would consider that the smallest theif in the building

we ( in Australia ) had an inquiry into aged care , and the first witness gave such horrific evidence on the demise of her mother ( in hospital ) that the inquiry was shut down and 3 years later restarted with new guide lines focused on retirement villas and their related contracts .

maybe you should go on social media recommending the staff be shifted to a military facility in Cuba , to complement the medical staff there ( they seem to have the 'care factor ' at the required level )

PS i have still not forgiven the staff the caused the premature death of my great-uncle in the 1960s , and watch in hope every time that medical facility is threatened by wild fires ( which is every 3 or 4 years )

PPS i am not sure any amount of money would soothe my irritation ( especially since you aparently visited regularly and gave input )

Forget the police report. Nothing gets an organization's attention like a lawyer showing up at the door.

You say you don't want a lawsuit, that's ok, you don't have to go that route. But a lawyer would get you the answers/response/apology you deserve. If the lawyer is able to get you some additional 'gratification' all the better.

Make sure you have standing. In Florida, the only people with standing are a spouse, an adult child under 25 or a disabled child. One of the local hospital chains in Orlando, Advent, killed my mother about a year ago but there was no one with standing to sue. No lawyer was interested. Old person dead, no big deal. They couldn't care less about a person killed by malpractice if they didn't fit a high award category. Being old and a victim of malpractice doesn't cut it. Dime a dozen. Next!

I was with her 24/7 while she was in the hospital and I still couldn't keep them from killing her. I complained to Medicare but that was a total waste of time. All the bad things they did to her (for example, tearing a big patch of skin of her arm), were deemed to be standard of care. Don't waste your time.

Stay out of hospitals!

Back
Top Bottom