Annual streaming costs

OK, looks like this is using Automatic Content Recognition (ACR).

But it looks like the default is supposed to be disabled. Have you checked that? Uncheck "Use info from TV inputs"

https://support.roku.com/article/115005739288
I found the setting.

Home screen - Settings - Privacy - Smart TV Experience - Privacy - uncheck Use Info from TV Inputs

I don't recall allowing anything, I guess they just slipped it in.

I see that T-Mobile is getting ready to include a basic Hulu package in the price of its higher end Go5G plans. I currently use the previous plan (Magenta Max 55+). I received a message saying I "qualified" for the new Hulu add-on when it becomes available on January 24th. I wonder if "qualified" means I'm entitled to upgrade (and pay more) for the privilege or if they are also going to add it to the Magenta Max 55+ plan. The press release only mentions the Go5G plans.

I just got the notice from T-Mobile about that. Apparently Hulu will be free for the first year, then will require $7.99/month to keep it.
I also have the Magenta Max 55+ account

T-Mobile also announced that the Netflix benefit will change from ad-free to ad-supported. From the Netflix website
Note: Starting on January 24, 2024, your T-Mobile package will include the Standard with ads plan. If you have questions about this change, your T-Mobile service package, or how Netflix appears on your bill, please contact T-Mobile.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/66... on January 24,ChangePlan or contact T-Mobile.

For the Hulu offer it will probably be the ad-supported tier.

I’m hopeful both Hulu and Netflix will have an option to upgrade for a nominal fee.

T-Mobile also announced that the Netflix benefit will change from ad-free to ad-supported. From the Netflix website
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/66... on January 24,ChangePlan or contact T-Mobile.

For the Hulu offer it will probably be the ad-supported tier.

I’m hopeful both Hulu and Netflix will have an option to upgrade for a nominal fee.

In the case of Netflix, it looks like upgrading will be an option.

How do I change my Netflix plan?

The option to change your Netflix plan depends on your package.

Go to netflix.com/account to check if you are eligible, then choose an available plan.

* You cannot downgrade to a plan lower than what is included in your package.
* Plan changes take effect immediately.
* The price difference (based on Netflix retail value) will be reflected on your next bill.

I currently upgrade T-Mobile Netflix to the 4k version and pay the difference. It would make sense if they keep this model. I guess we’ll know for sure soon enough.

From what I read only the basic Netflix on T-Mobile will be the ad supported one. We also have the 4K version for extra and from the bits I’ve read here and there it will not change.

Thanks to all for the tutorial on streaming. Good to know my ancient computer would not be involved. I keep bumping up against "You need such and such version to access this application." Mine is several versions removed from the minimum in most cases. BUT the thing still w*rks for most things I need, so...

Good to know streaming would not be affected. Thanks again. I love this group.:cool:

I got this text from T-Mobile today:

T-Mobile: Netflix continues to be a key benefit of your plan. As a result of recently announced Netflix changes, we are making a change to your subscription benefit. Effective January 25, the new discounted rate of your Premium subscription will move to $16/mo. For more information on your Netflix benefit and options, go to t-mo.co/NetflixUpdates5

At $16/month, I need to take a closer look. That’s up from $9/month.

I also qualify for Hulu On Us. I’m on the old One Plan, so I’m always surprised that I still qualify for the add-ons.

Netflix Premium - $22.99/month

Unlimited ad-free movies, TV shows, and mobile games
Watch on 4 supported devices at a time
Watch in Ultra HD
Download on 6 supported devices at a time
Option to add up to 2 extra members who don't live with you
Netflix spatial audio

$7.99 for each additional household (up to 2).

Standard (ad-free) is $15.49/month. Can only add 1 additional household.

It's also possible to pause for one month instead of cancelling. I may try that out. I'm watching too much Netlfix. Lol.

Related to all the streaming is the need for internet.

We have Xfinity which was charging us $20/mo with autopay from the bank, for 75 Mbs.
They just told me they are raising it to $56/mo.

Luckily, RCN/Astound is offering internet for $20/mo for 2 years, no contract.
Plus it's 300Mbs !!
Comes with a free for 1 year modem rental (gives me time to go buy my own later, as my current one is the old 3.0 and is limited to 250 Mbs, so time to update.).
Free Installation , and $100 gift card.

So I signed up for Monday install and will cancel Xfinity once I confirm the RCN works.

If RCN is available in your area, it could be worth looking at to switch.

We have Xfinity which was charging us $20/mo with autopay from the bank, for 75 Mbs.

Luckily, RCN/Astound is offering internet for $20/mo for 2 years, no contract.
Plus it's 300Mbs !!
Comes with a free for 1 year modem rental (gives me time to go buy my own later, as my current one is the old 3.0 and is limited to 250 Mbs, so time to update.).
Free Installation , and $100 gift card.

So I signed up for Monday install and will cancel Xfinity once I confirm the RCN works.

If RCN is available in your area, it could be worth looking at to switch.

Competition keeps them [sorta] honest. We have Comcast and a regional fiber company. Currently have 250mb service for $25 until March'25 which at that time we will go back to the fiber company for their latest new customer deal.

Rinse/Repeat

I have Comcast Xfinity. I assume the $20/mo was under the new customer pricing, which is only temporary. I had that a few years ago. $56/mo is what mine is going to with auto pay from bank for 2024. 75 Mbps. If there was something better available that would save me money over the year, I would have already switched. You're lucky to have that option that most people don't.

I have Comcast Xfinity. I assume the $20/mo was under the new customer pricing, which is only temporary. I had that a few years ago. $56/mo is what mine is going to with auto pay from bank for 2024. 75 Mbps. If there was something better available that would save me money over the year, I would have already switched. You're lucky to have that option that most people don't.

You are right, it was new customer pricing, and I agree we are lucky to have the competition as just 10 minutes away, my Aunt only has Xfinity as a choice.

You are right, it was new customer pricing, and I agree we are lucky to have the competition as just 10 minutes away, my Aunt only has Xfinity as a choice.
I'm on Xfinity cable. There are a couple providers of fiber internet in the area, but not to where I live. But, to get comparable bandwidth, they are $60 and $65 per month, so no savings. I would have to drop way down to 10 Mbps ($40) or 15 Mbps ($50) to save anything, so I would probably stick with Xfinity, even if those fiber services were an option in my neighborhood, because I would be reluctant to drop down to that low of speed for that savings. My 75 Mbps actually tests consistently at about 90 Mbps, so that would be a big hit and possible streaming problems (even at 1080p) to save $6 to $16/mo. With it not being available for me, I don't even have to think about it. Maybe options will open up down the road.

Last edited:
I got this text from T-Mobile today:

At $16/month, I need to take a closer look. That’s up from $9/month.

I also qualify for Hulu On Us. I’m on the old One Plan, so I’m always surprised that I still qualify for the add-ons.

Uh-oh!

In the case of Netflix, it looks like upgrading will be an option.

Yes. I checked my T-Mobile account this morning and found the option to upgrade to ad-free Netflix for $7 per month. It’s not a lot, but I don’t watch much Netflix. I may leave it on ad-supported and then upgrade when there’s something I want to see.

I think we’re going to see more streaming price increases.

Attachments

• IMG_3466.jpg
    IMG_3466.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom