Annual streaming costs

Netflix add-on subscriber $8
Hulu promo. $1
Disney+ promo. $2
OTA local stations and major broadcast. $0

Total ongoing cost: $11/month

DW is getting Paramount+, but let Disney lapse. I got Hulu for .99/mo. We are on an Apple TV trial, but will probably add a month or two.

I guess it depends on wants and needs. For my DW, who had a list of about 12 channels she wanted (some with just one particular show), YouTubeTV is missing four of them. Not everyone is willing to make that trade-off, and my DW was one of those individuals. It is why we didn't cut the cord until March of this year.

Yep, DH is the same. There are channels he won't give up. And we pay for it. For many years we went to the movies twice a week. Popcorn, soda, movie tickets. It was our favorite thing to do. We were into Art, independent, movies, actors, and directors. Kept up with their careers etc. Add that up over time. We don't go to the movies at a theater anymore. So, a trade-off. We probably spent more on movies at the theater than anything.

I guess it depends on wants and needs. For my DW, who had a list of about 12 channels she wanted (some with just one particular show), YouTubeTV is missing four of them. Not everyone is willing to make that trade-off, and my DW was one of those individuals. It is why we didn't cut the cord until March of this year.

Can you list some of the channels that YoutubeTV doesn't carry?

Edit: Found this website with a useful comparison:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-...nel-showdown-youtube-tv-sling-hulu-live-more/

Last edited:
We're another zero. We do have a television in our city house but I don't think it's been turned on for a year or more.

It's been mentioned somewhat but a big advantage of streaming services vs. traditional cable is the ability to jump in and out of different services. There are no contracts. If there is a Hulu show you want to see, you can sign up for Hulu for a month, watch the show, and then cancel the service. Somebody just told you about a great Netflix series? Open a Netflix account, watch the show, and then cancel.

We had Hulu for a year on their Black Friday deal (99 cents/month) and watched several of their exclusive shows and then we cancelled when the promotion ended. I think we will probably sign up again for a month or two because we didn't see the last season of Only Murders in the Building.

It's very easy to keep costs down by taking an a la carte approach to what streaming services you pay for at any given time.

Can you list some of the channels that YoutubeTV doesn't carry?

Edit: Found this website with a useful comparison:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-...nel-showdown-youtube-tv-sling-hulu-live-more/

I look over all those channels listed and have minimal interest in watching any that I don't already get with my antenna or through free streaming services. I can't see myself signing up for any paid Live TV at $70 to $90 month. Even sharing it with someone else to split costs wouldn't be worth it to me.

We're another zero. We do have a television in our city house but I don't think it's been turned on for a year or more.
Yeah, that's pretty easy to keep those streaming costs down when you essentially don't watch TV at all. :LOL: I'm still watching, but I'm happy to pay $0 also.

My biggest issue with some of the streaming services is that intermittently they think I’m in Mexico and bock service. This didn’t use to be a problem. DH has checked our IP address and it returns the correct US location. Some things went wrong with the services these apps are using. Very annoying but apparently also common.

Hulu (with ads): 1.04
Peacock (with ads) 1.76
Max: (with ads) 3.15
Apple (2 months) Free
Parmount/Showtime Free
Total: About $6/month.

Max is a six month trial offer. Apple is two months trial offer, promoting one of their shows. These promotions happen a few times per year. For Paramount/Showtime without ads, I have to re-sign up every 1-3 months for a new offer, depending upon whether they are generous with free extensions. I read recently that Paramount is in merger discussions so my golden age of Paramount free streaming will likely end if that happens.

We averaged $28/month. A lot of that was Netflix -- which is pretty much a constant. Others included Paramount Plus -- and "with commercials" promo deals on Hulu and Peacock. I didn't carve out a separate line item for Prime Video (it is wrapped into Amazon Prime yearly cost.)

Streaming

Paramount + w/Showtime $80 annually ($60/annual next year dropping Showtime due to $40 increase).
Philo, $25/month.
Hulu (shared, free).
Peacock $20/annual (will be dropping when expires).
Amazon Prime $9/month.
Just put up an antennae for live sports.

Currently paying about $42/monthly.

Streaming Services:
Netflix - 0 via T-Mobile 55+ phone plan (only works at lake house)
Paramount+ - 0 via Walmart+
Max - 3 for 6 months promotion will cancel
Hulu - 1 promotion
Up Faith and Family - 7 will cancel after Heartland series season 16

Our 2 favorite free services are Tubi and Pluto TV.

Streaming Service Total: 11 / month

TV Service:
We have DirectTV satellite service but we split that another household for 55/ month (we both have a receiver). We also carry our receiver to our beach house. Plus we have access to DirecTV Stream that comes with our satellite service and has all the channels that our satellite has.
TV Service: 55/ month

Internet:
Lake House - T-Mobile home Internet 40/ month via T-Mobile 55+ phone plan

Beach House - Mediacom 55/ month

Internet: 95/ month

Usenet -20
Amazon Prime - 15
Netflix - 11
Peacock - 10
YT Music - 15
Xbox Gamepass - 17
Nintendo Switch Subscription - 4
Internet 400mb/s- 40
Tmobile military magenta business 2 phones- 80

This is ballpark, but I think all of that adds up to $212/month. ~$2,544 a year.

I could probably cancel the Xbox, Switch and Peacock and we wouldn't be missing much.

Reminds me I need to cancel my Adobe online subscription. They charge an early cancel fee...grrr.

Some of this is tax deductible for my business however, so I do at leas get a break there.

Amazon prime offers us additional benefits so we can probably discount that one a bit.

Last edited:
Plus we have access to DirecTV Stream that comes with our satellite service and has all the channels that our satellite has.
How well does that work? Do you have to sign up for it? Does the DirecTV Stream also have your DVR'd content?

Amazon Prime $9/month.

If you would have Amazon Prime for other reasons, such as free shipping, you shouldn't include it in your streaming cost.

Internet:
Lake House - T-Mobile home Internet 40/ month via T-Mobile 55+ phone plan
Beach House - Mediacom 55/ month
Internet: 95/ month

Usenet -20
Amazon Prime - 15
Internet 400mb/s- 40
Tmobile military magenta business 2 phones- 80
If you would have internet service anyway, you shouldn't add that as a streaming service cost. Also noted on Amazon Prime. And is that Tmobile entry really part of your streaming cost?? I certainly wouldn't count my phone since I would have it anyway.

Last edited:
Got an email from Amazon this morning. They will start including limited ads on their movies or tv shows. No idea yet if these will be before or during the shows. If you want ad-free it will be an extra $2.99/month.

Cut Amazon last year. Got Peacock for like $60/yr & just got Hulu and Disney + for $3/mo on black Fri... So appx $96 annually.

Also DW just got a free 3 mo to Apple TV. We'll cancel as it's not much for our watching taste.

Ads on Hulu are more often than D+. Peacock is ad free.

I don’t mind ads.
I haven’t yet found a service that forces me to actually watch them :)
Grab a snack, unload the dishwasher, or just get up and stretch.

That said, I cut the cord years ago primarily for two reasons.
First, I hated paying hefty fees for services such as ESPN that I never watch (almost 40% of our cable bill was the inclusion of ESPN).
Second, I hated the monopoly Comcast had in our area. Streaming services at least have to compete with each other.

It’s funny - our receiver, I think, is switching back and forth from 4K or the fancy Dolby which blanks out our screen and cuts sound for a few seconds, enough to miss the most of any ad or already get to the skip button, ha ha.

I don’t mind ads.
I haven’t yet found a service that forces me to actually watch them :)
Grab a snack, unload the dishwasher, or just get up and stretch.

That said, I cut the cord years ago primarily for two reasons.
First, I hated paying hefty fees for services such as ESPN that I never watch (almost 40% of our cable bill was the inclusion of ESPN).
Second, I hated the monopoly Comcast had in our area. Streaming services at least have to compete with each other.
Yeah, I don't have a good alternative for Comcast even for internet access. And Comcast just raised my rate for basic internet service another $9/mo. Well, it turns out $5 of that increase is because I was using auto billing to my CC, which used to give me a $10 discount, and they changed it to $5. To get a $10 auto payment discount, you have to do direct withdraw from bank account. And this is Comcast we're talking about. They already told me that my information has been compromised from their computer systems, but now I have to add my bank account to their insecure system keep the discount I had already been getting, plus I would still have a $4 rate increase regardless.

Ouch!

Somehow spending $473/year on streaming. OK, that's less than $40/mo and many ages ago we spend more than that for satellite and cable.

But still...

We pay for YouTube Premium for two reasons:

1. NO ADS
2. Can play video/audio in background.

The rest is Netflix and a few months a year when I fire up an Apple TV+ subscription.

Back
Top Bottom