Another investment idea redux: DOW Dogs

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
Hey, Unclemick, it's always nice to know that when I tire of the deep-value stockpicking volatility that I can go back to a nice comfortable dividend strategy-- as recently revalidated by none other than Mark Hulbert.

Now I have to go figure out if it works for the NASDAQ Nags or the S&P500 Slugs.

Nord's

Got four in DRIP's on Mark's list. The bigger the market cap - the more slow mo the strategy seems(to me). My thunking(in liu of any facts) - the smaller the company - often the faster they 'get well or die'. So the exchange should be irrelevant - and then certain ones seem to always be turds - but lovible turds - like my Con Ed and National Fuel Gas.

I just looked at the link to the Mark Hulbert site. In the long run it seems you could get almost the same results with VFINX and not have to worry about annual trading costs.

JRB said:
In the long run it seems you could get almost the same results with VFINX and not have to worry about annual trading costs.
Well, that's his whole point. It outperformed the S&P, then it underperformed, and now it's outperforming again. I'm not gonna get sucked into the "active vs index" reciprocated diatribe, but there is no "long run" if you're actively trading in & out. You ride the horse until it drops and then you find something else. And at today's commissions the annual trading costs might not exceed $100.

Nords

Why not? We pontificate here on everything else. Lower trading costs, ETF's, tax rate changes, etc - may have altered the landscape as defined by volitility data, passive vs active expenses, acceptable dividend yields, etc., etc.

I know which horse I rode in on - but there are other horses out there.

The dog strategy appears to only underperform when growth outperforms value, which isnt very often. And the times I can see that happening were during "drunk stock market" periods when the performance of growth wasnt very healthy.

And its nice to have those steady dividend flows and their limited taxation...

Back
Top Bottom