Another kind of scam

Has anyone been getting any of those fake census forms which are really fundraising letters from a certain political party? Even though we are 8 years since the last census and 2 years until the next one, I have received 2 of them in the last few weeks.

Not being a fan of the political party which sent the "survey," I gave them a bunch of answers they would surely not like, along with some extra comments in the margins. No money, of course. The fun I had was worth the price of a stamp.

I did some research on this and found they were more popular in the lead-up to and when the 2010 census was being taken in 2009-2010. Not sure if they fooled people into thinking they had to send out money in order to complete a census form.

Also in my research, I read that the USPS Inspection Service determined this was not in violation of a 1990 law on this. The FEC also determined it didn't violate and rules, either.

But after I mailed that out a few weeks ago, I got another one, the same survey with "Final notice" printed on the envelope. This one goes into the trash.

I received one of these "FINAL NOTICE" surveys just today. The cover letter made it sound like I was a devoted member of their party. (I am registered as "unaffiliated", the MA equivalent of Independent, so they didn't get my name from a voter registration for any party.) I was tempted to do as you did but decided not to spring for a stamp of my own.

I knew a guy who worked in a place that had the equipment and scrap material to do this - cut a piece of 3/8" thick lead to the size of the prepaid return envelope and mail that back to them. It cost the receiver a mint in postage.:D
Great idea! Always dreamed of pasting the envelope to a brick.

But lead? TODAY, that would get you a visit from the Feds for sending dangerous substances through the mail.

Great idea! Always dreamed of pasting the envelope to a brick.

But lead? TODAY, that would get you a visit from the Feds for sending dangerous substances through the mail.
Not really dangerous as a solid, unless its moving around 800 feet per second.

It's dangerous to ingest, breathe vapors or dust.

USPS has delivered hundreds of pounds to me with no issues.

Not really dangerous as a solid, unless its moving around 800 feet per second.

It's dangerous to ingest, breathe vapors or dust.

USPS has delivered hundreds of pounds to me with no issues.

I forgot my :) :)

Lots of paranoia out there about lead.

I'm reminded of a bit by Tom Lehrer. Following is a portion thereof:

...And the point was driven home to me rather forcefully not long ago by a letter I received which said: “Darling, I love you, and I cannot live without you. Marry me, or I will kill myself.”

Well, I was a little disturbed at that until I took another look at the envelope, and saw that it was addressed “To Occupant…”

YMMV

Just today, we have a story in the local news about a 91-year-old woman who got a bogus call from someone pretending to be her granddaughter who needed bail money in Haiti. A man got on the line pretending to be a cop telling her to leave $9,000 cash in her mailbox to be picked up. She got the money but became suspicious and called her granddaughter at work were she was perfectly fine.

Grandma called the local cops who told her to out the money in the mailbox so they could catch the man picking up the loot. It worked perfectly, and he got busted.

I received an email today from Bank of America that

"We have noticed irregular activity on your account.

To protect you, your online profile has been disabled. We are committed to making sure that your transactions are secure."
And then they helpfully include a link to click on to restore access.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

The issue for me to resolve is, we haven't had a BOA account for at least 20 years.[FONT=&quot]:LOL:
[/FONT]

Better click the link, in case the account is still open and a prince needs to deposit $$ into it?

Has anyone been getting any of those fake census forms which are really fundraising letters from a certain political party? Even though we are 8 years since the last census and 2 years until the next one, I have received 2 of them in the last few weeks.

Not being a fan of the political party which sent the "survey," I gave them a bunch of answers they would surely not like, along with some extra comments in the margins. No money, of course. The fun I had was worth the price of a stamp.

I did some research on this and found they were more popular in the lead-up to and when the 2010 census was being taken in 2009-2010. Not sure if they fooled people into thinking they had to send out money in order to complete a census form.

Also in my research, I read that the USPS Inspection Service determined this was not in violation of a 1990 law on this. The FEC also determined it didn't violate and rules, either.

But after I mailed that out a few weeks ago, I got another one, the same survey with "Final notice" printed on the envelope. This one goes into the trash.

Would you believe I got another one of these things today? And the cover letter had the gall to "scold" me for not returning a previous one (which I did, just not with the answers they wanted to hear), even though I did return the first one but trashed the second one!

So, the question I ask myself is like what I asked myself last year: Do I spend the cost of a stamp to have some fun (again) with this survey or does it go straight into the trash (again)?

Would you believe I got another one of these things today? And the cover letter had the gall to "scold" me for not returning a previous one (which I did, just not with the answers they wanted to hear), even though I did return the first one but trashed the second one!

So, the question I ask myself is like what I asked myself last year: Do I spend the cost of a stamp to have some fun (again) with this survey or does it go straight into the trash (again)?

Now that we are in an official census year, I am not surprised to have received ANOTHER one of these fake surveys. Like the others, it has a bunch of slanted questions followed by a request to donate money to a certain political party (the one I happen to despise). Will I have some fun with this one or does it go straight to the shredder?

It's definitely sad that scum out there prey upon the elderly. My "dense" comment was more tongue in cheek about people who treat this type of marketing as some sort of scam from a criminal mastermind. It's good that you can filter out the nonsense, we have to do the same for a family member. I guess I just can't ever fathom opening a piece of mail that I know nothing about and putting a check in the return envelope.

Edit: Every time I toss one of these pieces of mail, I wonder about the "business owner" on the other end. What is their life like? Do they like making a living trying to fool people out of their money? What happened to them where they can sleep at night after a long, hard day of unethical work in the office? The world is just in such a slimeball place right now it seems.

My mom is in a very expensive Continuing Care Retirement Community. She constantly gets donation requests in the mail, early magazine renewals, etc. But worse than that is that the employees of the CCRC are unethical and often overcharge for this or that, thinking the old folks won't be brave enough to complain, or 'rock the boat'. An extra meal appears on the monthly bill, some exercise room event that was passed off as free shows up on the bill for $30, etc, etc ad infinitum. My mom doesn't complain directly but she will let me talk to the staff about it. They just stonewall and delay, of course. So far I've been successful in stopping ongoing ripoffs (like the time they were continuing to charge for a room in memory care even after my dad died. I had to ask about it, I was not informed they would keep charging until all the furniture was out, staff promised they would move the furniture out asap, days drag by, finally my sister and I moved the furniture out, bottom line my mom got charge 4 more days at about $220 a day, and the long term care insurance refused to pay. Mom wanted to just pay the ripoff, and not complain) but I haven't gotten any money refunded to her. She does not want to move to a different place. She likes it there. I agree with the above thought : there are just too many slimy scumbags out there.

My mom is in a very expensive Continuing Care Retirement Community. She constantly gets donation requests in the mail, early magazine renewals, etc. But worse than that is that the employees of the CCRC are unethical and often overcharge for this or that, thinking the old folks won't be brave enough to complain, or 'rock the boat'. An extra meal appears on the monthly bill, some exercise room event that was passed off as free shows up on the bill for $30, etc, etc ad infinitum. My mom doesn't complain directly but she will let me talk to the staff about it. They just stonewall and delay, of course. So far I've been successful in stopping ongoing ripoffs (like the time they were continuing to charge for a room in memory care even after my dad died. I had to ask about it, I was not informed they would keep charging until all the furniture was out, staff promised they would move the furniture out asap, days drag by, finally my sister and I moved the furniture out, bottom line my mom got charge 4 more days at about $220 a day, and the long term care insurance refused to pay. Mom wanted to just pay the ripoff, and not complain) but I haven't gotten any money refunded to her. She does not want to move to a different place. She likes it there. I agree with the above thought : there are just too many slimy scumbags out there.

We were lucky to find a good place for my MIL nearby that uses an all inclusive pricing system. There are some things not included (like if she ever needs adult diapers), but so far, nothing has showed up erroneously.

I know this is a bit off topic but most of us would be well served to spend a few minutes reading r/scams on Reddit. They have a great list of the various scams that people fall for. The members are pretty active and diligent about keeping the lists up to date and are always willing to offer advice.

It's amazing how detailed these scammers can be.

Cheers,
Harrald

Call their 800 number and ask if their refrigerator is running

Now that we are in an official census year, I am not surprised to have received ANOTHER one of these fake surveys. Like the others, it has a bunch of slanted questions followed by a request to donate money to a certain political party (the one I happen to despise). Will I have some fun with this one or does it go straight to the shredder?

Answer the survey questions with replies they won't like, and then return it with a contribution of a nickel. That will keep you on the donor list so you'll continue to receive their mailings; processing your donation and sending you more begging letters will cost the survey firm far more than 5 cents per occurrence. Limiting your responses to about one out of every ten pleas should optimize your Mischief Satisfaction Factor* (MSF).

* I just made up that term, but I like it and intend to use it in a book.

Answer the survey questions with replies they won't like, and then return it with a contribution of a nickel. That will keep you on the donor list so you'll continue to receive their mailings; processing your donation and sending you more begging letters will cost the survey firm far more than 5 cents per occurrence. Limiting your responses to about one out of every ten pleas should optimize your Mischief Satisfaction Factor* (MSF).

* I just made up that term, but I like it and intend to use it in a book.

As tempting as your idea is, I really just want to get off their list. I do like the "annoying" part, as I do put down answers they are surely going to hate. That doesn't seem to be enough to get me off their list, for now.

Back
Top Bottom