Another Vanguard problem

I don't want to have to print out the stuff. Even though I re-use paper stuff received in the mail (some of VG's as well) if it has blank side. Printer ink is expensive! Another reason to put up with their $25.-

I have a laser printer and love it! The cartridges last forever. I would never go back to an inkjet printer.

I bought my HP 2035n laser printer in 2011. It's still going strong. Prior to that, I had an HP 4l laser printer from 1993 to 2011. I don't mind getting e-statements and simply printing any hardcopies I want.

I bought my HP 2035n laser printer in 2011. It's still going strong. Prior to that, I had an HP 4l laser printer from 1993 to 2011. I don't mind getting e-statements and simply printing any hardcopies I want.

I'd guess my Brother 2170DW goes back to at least 2011 as well. It may last longer than I do.

I've had an HP Laserjet P1006 for a very long time and it is still working great. Like you, I get e-statements for pretty much everything and only print yearly statements for the "estate" file. But I do print a lot of other miscellaneous things not related to financials, so get a lot of use out of it.

OK, since this train is off the tracks. Multiple millions at VG and this month was denoted to voyager from flagship after 35 years. It seems that treasuries don't count, and when I swapped VG short-term federal fund to individual treasuries, I was thrown under the bus. Ha, ha, ha.

Okay, sorry, I don't understand this. I don't have a lot of activity in my V accounts, so maybe I don't understand the terminology.

I'm not here to pile on VG. I still have 25% of our net worth at VG. I intend on keeping that indefinitely. However, that's down from 75% last year.

I want to mention that I was impressed by how easy the transfer from VG to Fidelity was. I credit both organizations for this (VG didn't screw up, ha ha).

The main kudos go to Fidelity. It was super easy to open a Roth IRA and initiate a full transfer. The brokerage transfer was partial and included VG ETFs and treasuries. Since I didn't push the "full transfer" button, I had to enter each symbol or CUSIP. Not too bad, and very clear as to intentions.

All of this was online and it literally took minutes. I had no complications like name changes or trusts. It was two accounts, one my own, and one joint.

I did both Monday night, a holiday. The brokerage transfer was done Thursday morning, with basis showing up today (Saturday). The IRA transfer took longer, until yesterday. There is also a residual in the VG side due to a month end dividend. We'll see how that goes, although the Fido reps assured me it will be fine.

Speaking of Fido reps... The reason I did this transfer was because I like the UI and analysis tools at Fidelity better and wanted to consolidate everything except my 25 year old mutual funds. Apparently all this treasury buying I did this year kicked me into a tier at Fidelity, and I got a call. Nice guy, no pressure. I told him I was self directed. No problem. He asked if there was anything else, and I asked about incentives to transfer. He gave me a nice offer with 60 days to complete it. I reached a level by a few thousand. I do have to wait 60 days to get it since they look for outflows and churning. Also, I don't think my treasury transfers counted for the bonus.

Thanks for this. Maybe I can "threaten" V with moving everything to FIDO if they insist on their $25 hit per account for what they used to do for free. Or maybe I can ask for an "incentive" for NOT transferring to FIDO. The mind fairly races at the possibilities here. Of course, I'm sure V will say "That's our policy - take it or leave it." :(

Okay, sorry, I don't understand this. I don't have a lot of activity in my V accounts, so maybe I don't understand the terminology.

VG states that accounts have to have $1,000,000 invested in Vanguard funds to have Flagship status with benefits.

I sold my bond funds to buy Treasury Bills, so now I don't qualify, because treasuries don't count as mutual funds.

It took way more than a year for the downgrade, but I am glad I made the switch.

VG states that accounts have to have $1,000,000 invested in Vanguard funds to have Flagship status with benefits.

I sold my bond funds to buy Treasury Bills, so now I don't qualify, because treasuries don't count as mutual funds.

It took way more than a year for the downgrade, but I am glad I made the switch.

Thanks. All my funds are Admiral and I guess I didn't even know about Flagship. (Heh, heh, and with the $1mil entry level, I'm guessing it will stay that way.:LOL:)

Aloha

I also no longer get passbooks for my savings account. Pay the $25 or print them yourself. I don't see the problem here.

You mean ya'll don't get your dividends in Morgan Dollars sent to you by UPS?

I also no longer get passbooks for my savings account. Pay the $25 or print them yourself. I don't see the problem here.

In addition to liking to have an official document in my hot little hand, I'm concerned about "stuff" that happens depending upon internet connections. Upon arriving at the old homestead, it took me 2 days and 5 hours on the phone to get my internet connection going. It turns out there were modem issues that one nice young lady was able to figure out on the phone. The two nice young men that tried to help assured me that there was something wrong with my Mac. I called Apple and guess what? Without an internet line they couldn't check my Mac short of driving 80 miles to the nearest Apple store/repair. So, it was a frustrating week end. Good thing I didn't need access to my accounts during that "black out." BUT my mail is already being forwarded so I have what ever account info I need right in front of me.

Call me a Luddite and I won't even flinch. But, I just like data on paper when it comes to my financial stuff. YMMV as usual.

One of my accounts at Vanguard is a trust account that has been at Vanguard for about 8 years. No problem until this month, when I found out that Vanguard somehow screwed up the tax ID number on the 1099 for 2022. I didn't catch it when doing taxes because the tax ID number on the 1099 is redacted except for the last 4 digits and the error was in one of those redacted digits. I had to submit a new W9 to Vanguard.

Not sure how they get the right number for 7 years and then suddenly get it wrong on the 8th year. Seems like something that just shouldn't happen. I may get a $50 penalty from the IRS over this, and if I do I'll ask Vanguard to pay it.

With all you on edelivery that should mean there are not a lot of us paper people so just leave it alone...

I had already started moving out of Vanguard, this will speed up the rest...

With all you on edelivery that should mean there are not a lot of us paper people so just leave it alone...

I had already started moving out of Vanguard, this will speed up the rest...

Please tell V your leaving because of the $25 charge/account. Then, maybe they'll change their policy and I won't have to move my accounts.:cool:

Well that answers a question that has been bugging me. While Flagship status doesn't get you much if anything nowadays, it is a nice title. All year I have had well over $1M at Vanguard yet my statements (just got May today) say Voyager Select. I have enough in T bills to probably be just under the $1M level. I assumed that buying and holding (?) the T bills in my Vanguard accounts counted towards the $1M, I know if I held say GLD those funds would not. It just didn't occur to me that T bills were like GLD in that it is not a Vanguard mutual fund. Oh well, I want T bills or CDs not bond mutual funds just to see Flagship on the statements.

They should just call it "Special". That always made me feel good when I was a little boy. My mom would say to me "they sent the special bus because you're a special boy. Now put on your hockey helmet and go along to school." I would smile all the way there just thinking about how special I was.

They should just call it "Special". That always made me feel good when I was a little boy. My mom would say to me "they sent the special bus because you're a special boy. Now put on your hockey helmet and go along to school." I would smile all the way there just thinking about how special I was.
You are special.

Attachments

• special.JPG
    special.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 30
Geezzzz.... after it gets fixed, I would wonder about the $20/mo to be ignored.

Let us know if it's a capacitor blown.

Thanks. We called another company to take a look. Our "preferred" status didn't seem to matter in 90-degree weather. The most recent consensus is to bring in a Trane person. This is the next step since this cycling and on-and-off problem has been going on for 3 years. I think we have a lemon.

Fast cycling on-off sounds to me like low refrigerant -- at least in automotive applications.

-gauss

Thanks for this. Maybe I can "threaten" V with moving everything to FIDO if they insist on their $25 hit per account for what they used to do for free. Or maybe I can ask for an "incentive" for NOT transferring to FIDO. The mind fairly races at the possibilities here. Of course, I'm sure V will say "That's our policy - take it or leave it." :(

I’m pretty certain V will be satisfied as long as they don’t have to send you a statement. They’d probably prefer you move to Fido vs. paying to have statements mailed. Really they are so much bigger than the competition they must believe they are doing everything right.

I’m pretty certain V will be satisfied as long as they don’t have to send you a statement. They’d probably prefer you move to Fido vs. paying to have statements mailed. Really they are so much bigger than the competition they must believe they are doing everything right.

... and there is no transfer out fee. I think the idea is don't let the door hit you on the way out. :)

... and there is no transfer out fee. I think the idea is don't let the door hit you on the way out. :)

I can confirm the swinging-door-wind at your back lifts you and makes you feel great. :LOL:

If enough folks head for the door, even a house as big as V will take notice and deal with it. I don't look for that to happen, but it certainly could.

Back
Top Bottom