Antique bracelet

camfused

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi. This belonged to my wife's grandmother. I looked in the Antique Jewelry University database and did not see a match for this maker. Who made this? Thanks!

IMG_3441.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. This belonged to my wife's grandmother. I looked in the Antique Jewelry University database and did not see a match for this maker. Who made this? Thanks!

camfused,

Do you know where this jewelry hails from?

Other countries had their own "maker's marks." And often there are books/databases listing the marks and makers.

750 means 18K gold.

omni

Last edited:
We think it *probably* came from Germany, but don't know for sure.

We think it *probably* came from Germany, but don't know for sure.

Yes, much of the .75 (18 K) comes from Europe - I have heard that Italy (and most of Europe) was/is big on .75 Jewelry while the USA tends toward 14 K.

camfused,

Doing a quick Google search looking for "older" German gold hallmarks shows many possible makers.

I don't know how to 'winnow' it down to a manageable number...possibly find an antique dealer specializing in German/European jewelry?

omni

^^^ I think I will have to. I have been searching and searching online. I think the "VR" means it was made in Verona, and I think it sort of looks like the Verona Arena (their Roman colosseum). But searching for those terms yields nothing.

Yeah, I tried that early on and had no hits, even zooming in on the mark. But thanks for the suggestion.

^^^ I think I will have to. I have been searching and searching online. I think the "VR" means it was made in Verona, and I think it sort of looks like the Verona Arena (their Roman colosseum). But searching for those terms yields nothing.

camfused,

I think you may be onto something...

https://www.silvercollection.it/DICTIONARYEUHALLMARKITALY.HTML

in the middle of the page it shows the shape of Italian gold hallmarks, and 750 gold is that diamond shape with the left and right ends "chopped" off. I see elsewhere that this shape is called a 'lozenge'.

And elsewhere on that page it does say VR is for Verona. (If you look closely at your photo, there's a very light K in front of the VR, and the first symbol might be a stylized G? These might be clues to the actual maker or date of production. )

So this narrows it down to 18k gold from Verona, Italy.

omni

Last edited:
IMG_3441.jpg

Here is a much clearer picture. You can see that it is “14KVR” or “14 VR”.

Update: I posted on the site that omni550 mentioned. The mark is "14VR", which belongs to Ferdinando Trainotti, and the strange mark on the right represents the arena of Verona.

This pic shows info about him:
trainotti-2.jpg

That time period meshes with the family provenance that DW's grandmother owned it, and their family had a bit of money.

There is very little on the web about Ferdinando Trainotti. Here is pic from the web that also shows his mark:
Trainotti.jpg

And, here is a pics of the whole bracelet:
IMG-3445.jpg

IMG-3446.jpg

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Update: I posted on the site that omni550 mentioned. The mark is "14VR", which belongs to Ferdinando Trainotti, and the strange mark on the right represents the arena of Verona.

This pic shows info about him:
trainotti-2.jpg

That time period meshes with the family provenance that DW's grandmother owned it, and their family had a bit of money.

There is very little on the web about Ferdinando Trainotti. Here is pic from the web that also shows his mark:
Trainotti.jpg

And, here is a pics of the whole bracelet:
IMG-3445.jpg

IMG-3446.jpg

Thanks for all the help!

camfused,

Wow..that was quick!

Glad you were able to find all this info.

And that's a beautiful bracelet!

omni

^^^ Yeah, DW is actually not that fond of it, so we might sell it. I am guessing we could get about $3000 for it (now that we can say exactly what it is). MIL needs the dough.

Last edited:
^^^ Yeah, DW is actually not that fond of it, so we might sell it. I am guessing we could get about $3000 for it (now that we can say exactly what it is). MIL needs the dough.

Make sure you weigh it and calculate the gold (melt) value so that you don’t take less than that.

Take the weight x .75 (18k) x market price of gold. It’s real rough, but a data point you should know.

Back
Top Bottom