Any tasty low carb bread products?

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I exercise virtually every day, my weight is good, but that didn't stop me from needing 5 stents last year, plus a recent episode of pericarditis that took 2 months to resolve. Anyway, I'm under orders to reduce my A1C, from its current pre-diabetic 5.9%.
I LOVE my bread: English Muffin with oatmeal, some sort of sandwich (half a bagel 4 times a week, one slice of bread the other days) for lunch, and dinner a few times a week that includes bread or sandwich roll. Interspersed in this mix will be breakfast a couple of days of a full sized bagel.
Lots of options out there, but are any truly similar in taste to white bread/white English muffins? I accept that my love of bagels is pretty much a thing of the past, but what about the rest?

Last edited:
LOL, IOHO nothing low carb that is manufactured is tasty. Like eating Sawdust. Meat and cheese rule in the low carb world. The day I give up potatoes, I will be a pile of ashes.

I don’t eat much bread, but when I do it’s Trader Joe’s sprouted breads, there are several varieties. It’s the same as Ezekiel bread, just cheaper and better tasting IMO.

1610306478817_580x.jpg

Look for Carbonaut products. Super low carbs, all the numbers are verified to be as good as advertised because they do not spike my type 2 diabetic husband's blood sugar and his A1C, fasting glucose are as though he has not eaten much carbs.

Carbonaut has bread, bagels and wait for it.... baking mix. My husband who had not been able to enjoy carbs, has been eating scones baked with Carbonaut baking mix every day. I make the scones for him, either with blueberries or dark chocolate.

If you enjoy cereal, look for Catalina Crunch.

Whole Foods and Sprouts carry their products. You can also order Carbonaut through Ovendoor.

Carbonaut uses modified resistant starch (wheat).

You can read the nutritional labels of Carbonaut: https://www.carbonaut.co/products/

Last edited:
Are you able to get a continuous glucose monitor so that you can learn which foods spike your glucose levels?

Wrong to all the naysayers about low carbs cannot be tasty. You all have not tried the good stuff yet. Check out Carbonaut and Catalina Crunch. You will be very surprised.

The only topping holder I like the taste of is waffles.

Basically I replace flour with protein powder in the recipe. The powder should be plain - unless you like choco-vanilla-strawberry waffles. And I prefer milk based protein to other sources.

The waffles even work as a sandwich or as pizza crust.

Wrong to all the naysayers about low carbs cannot be tasty. You all have not tried the good stuff yet. Check out Carbonaut and Catalina Crunch. You will be very surprised.

Most of these things taste better when they are introduced after a good period of cold turkey - no white carbs for several weeks.

This place has a lot of unique stuff:
https://www.lowcarbfoods.com/

My scones are top bakery standard, made possible by Carbonaut baking mix. My husband feels that he is living again, thanks to these products. He has been type 2 diabetic for the past 24 years. His A1C is better than ever, at 5.7 and he eats low carb products every day. We also drink Fairlife milk, which has half the sugar of regular milk.

My daughter tried Catalina Crunch and it is a sorry excuse for being called a cereal. Mostly dehydrated pea product chopped into 1/4" squares with some coating of a fake sugary substance on it. Plus, it's expensive.

My daughter tried Catalina Crunch and it is a sorry excuse for being called a cereal. Mostly dehydrated pea product chopped into 1/4" squares with some coating of a fake sugary substance on it. Plus, it's expensive.

Sure, low carb products are expensive. A loaf of Carbonaut bread is $10. I don't like Catalina Crunch but my husband does. I do like gluten-free Carbonaut white bread, 1 net gram carb per slice. However the bread is very soft, so you have to handle it carefully. I don't have issue with carbs like my husband but I do try to eat less carbs. I am gluten-intolerant, which is a different problem, in that I cannot use Carbonaut baking mix for my own consumption.

Schmidt 647 bread. They make all kinds of bread products, including English muffins. 40 calories per slice, 6 gm net carbs. The buns have twice as much and the bagels have too many carbs for me. I've learned to like open face sandwiches, so I only have one slice at a time. A little over $4 for a loaf here in central PA. I have found their products in every local chain store.

https://www.schmidtoldtyme.com/647-bread/

Another product I've come to enjoy is konjac noodles. I've tried a couple of brands and the best I've found is:

It's Skinny low carb pasta.

https://www.amazon.com/Its-Skinny-F...-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

One serving is 4.5 calories 2 gm carbs (fiber) and 0 net grams carbs.

I LOVE my bread: English Muffin with oatmeal, some sort of sandwich (half a bagel 4 times a week, one slice of bread the other days) for lunch, and dinner a few times a week that includes bread or sandwich roll. Interspersed in this mix will be breakfast a couple of days of a full sized bagel.
Lots of options out there, but are any truly similar in taste to white bread/white English muffins?

"truly similar in taste", simply no.

If you are committed to going low carb/keto, instead of looking for fake food substitutes, why not take a deep dive into foods that are naturally low carb.

Have fun with cheeses. There are lots of excellent and interesting cheeses out there.

Likewise, try some new meats. Lamb chops or leg of lamb for something different. Try chicken thighs. Maybe different types of sausages.

Fish of all kinds doesn't have carbs as long as you don't bread it.

There are some good full fat yogurts out there (remember most yogurt these days have tons added sugar).

Some fruits are OK too. Berries - yum!

Nuts too. Cashews, pecans, and so on.

Surf YouTube for keto recipe ideas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom