Question re: big blood glucose swings

Lisa99

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
About a month ago I had my regular annual checkup and some of the results were not great.

My A1C was 6.0 (up from 5.5 this time last year) and my fasting glucose was 104 (up from 93). Doc asked me if diabetes runs in the family... It does not.

The results were a wake up call so in the last month I've cut out most processed food and I'm keeping carbs to ~100 grams of veggies and low sugar fruit six days out of the week.

I also bought a blood glucose meter to see what different foods do which leads me to my question.

Fasting results have consistently been below 100 which is good. Tonight I decided I wanted a treat and had 1 cup of no sugar added ice cream with 2 TBSP of full sugar strawberry jam. At one hour my BG was 235 but at two hours it had dropped to 126.

I had a similar reading last week when my BG went up 70 points in one hour after eating 2 eggs and one slice of whole wheat toast with a TBSP of jam.

I've been researching on the web and some sites say that any reading over 140 is a problem but other sites don't agree.

Bottom line question - are my big blood glucose swings something i should get checked out or are the swings normal but I just wasn't aware of them.

Last edited:
@Lisa how is your BMI? If not there already start a plan to get it into the low end of the "normal" range. Then maintain that BMI for 6-12 months and get a new baseline of blood labs.

Responding to a six year old post is rarely useful.

Usually correct, but that being said, it would be great to have the OP update how the story progressed in the past six years. Did they further tweak diet, did they medicate, do nothing? Did A1C and glucose spikes change?

Back
Top Bottom