Any Travel Plan for 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cruise Miami to Barcelona in april. Fly from Barcelona to Dublin and cruise to Iceland. In June doing Paris Normandy riverboat.

Any chance you are cruising to Iceland on the Celebrity Reflection on May 5th?That is the cruise ship we will be on. If so, maybe we can meet for a glass of wine. We are going as part of a winery club trip.

After the cruise , we plan to continue travel. From May 17 to May 30, we will drive around Ireland. Then From June 1 to June 26 , we will travel France and Belgium including Normandy, Paris , Bruges, and the Loire valley.

We're doing 2 weeks in southern Italy this summer. First week in the small town in Sicily that DH's grandparents (all 4) emmigrated from. We've visited there several times and have good relationships with DH's second cousins... (There's a bunch of them.) We're renting the same apartment we did last time - a few blocks from the train station, a few blocks (in different directions) to 4 of the cousins. We'll skip the car rental for this part of the trip.

2nd week will be in Puglia. We've got a great house rental with an infinity pool overlooking an olive grove. We'll be outside of Brindisi, and will have a vehicle - we'll daytrip to the white towns, to see the trulli, and to see the other sites.

My sister is joining us for this vacation... She's only done tours previously and is looking forward to a less programmed, more slow travel trip. But having 5 of us (two large teenagers, DH, Sis, and myself) we had to upgrade to a minivan. It looks like this won't be a problem in Puglia... (Would never want a minivan in Sicily.)

Just finished a week in Burgundy (half-time w*rk for me). Unexpectedly early full launch into retirement starts end of June, so we are going to batten down the hatches for the first full year and not travel much. Just the usual family get-together at the family beach house on SSI over 4th July week.....

Scheduled to take a repositioning cruise, late April, from Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen; thence a flight to Riga, Latvia, where we hope*, (*hey, I'm an old guy, everything is based on "hope"), to spend a few days before moving on to Gdansk, Poland.

Currently juggling....contemplating a cheap flight from Gdansk to Kiev, Ukraine. Spend a few days in Kiev then grab the train to Lviv, Ukraine, before heading up to Lublin, Poland.

(The first paragraph - ship, flights, accommodation, are already booked - the rest is in the "Hey, how about....?" stage regarding dates/direction.)

To use Bob Seger's lines "I could go east, I could go west
It was all up to [-]me[/-] us to decide".
Apparently it's not up to us to decide; due to the TIA that I may, or may not, have had, plus the fact that I'm now scheduled for prostate scopes & biopsies next month, I have been designated as ineligible for medical insurance coverage at this time.

I'm still stair climbing, doing upwards of 2,000 risers per session - but.....

Ah well, still hoping we'll be able to do something in the Fall....IF this whole scenario is satisfactorily resolved.

We need a break from the rains and cool weather. So we are going down to Santa Clarita and will visit the Getty. If you have never been there it is a real treat. The views of LA are great (especially in log smog times), it has very nice gardens, wonderful changing exhibits, a very nice cafeteria with good pricing and good views, etc. Admission is free after paying for the underground parking.

Then we will go to Death Valley for a few days and stay at Stovepipe Wells lodge. We'll hike up the canyons there. We'll also do some watercolor sketching as we carry very light weight stools. I enjoy sketching rocky sculptural structures. The objective is to fill in a few pages of a sketch book. Nothing more grand.

Here is a pic from a few years back:

Capture.jpg

Apparently it's not up to us to decide; due to the TIA that I may, or may not, have had, plus the fact that I'm now scheduled for prostate scopes & biopsies next month, I have been designated as ineligible for medical insurance coverage at this time.

Ah well, still hoping we'll be able to do something in the Fall....IF this whole scenario is satisfactorily resolved.

Hope all goes well for you!

Just planned an 18 day journey. Flying first class to New York City with the buy one get one free first class ticket on my American Express card.. Two nights there then on a 13 day cruise from New York to Europe. Will only have one day at each port. Ireland 2 ports. Belgium, UK, Paris - France, and ending in Amsterdam. 2 days in Amsterdam. We thought this would be a great way to see and get a feel for where we would like to go visit for longer stays for the next visit.

We will also be flying first class back home from Europe.

I have never been to Europe so I am really excited about going for the first time. We will schedule more trips to Europe after we "test the few places we will be going to" on the cruise.

In the fall (Sept and Oct) we are taking the RV across the country to spend 2 months on the east coast. We have been to the east coast many times but on a limited schedule because of work.

We also have a dog and have to pick and choose trips that are abroad.

My next real vacation will be near St. Tropez in late May / early June. Super cheap vacation, as I will be staying at a relative's condo for free. I will just have to pay for the gas and tolls to drive there.

But I have been taking a lot of mini-vacations and day trips since I moved to this area (near Geneva, Switzerland) 3 months ago - Chamonix, Annecy, Megève, etc... Lots more on my list of interesting places to visit nearby.

Sorry Nemo ! Hope this gets resolved .

Sorry Nemo ! Hope this gets resolved .

Thanks. Cancelled everything today...getting more money back than we anticipated...always a plus.

Now, with no pressing schedule, if the prostate checks uncover something that requires immediate attention, I'm ready to go. :dance:

Nemo so sorry. Hope everything goes well.

I am sorry to hear this also, Nemo. I always enjoy hearing about your trips and viewing your pictures. Hope everything checks out well for you.

Thanks folks...figure I'll be [-]flat on my back[/-] off and running again in no time. :LOL:

It will check out OK. Then, you can do some road trips for the summer, then catch the fall repositioning cruise.

Taking the repositioning cruise to Copenhagen. Even though I’ve been retired 4 years, this feels like I’ll really be retired. ;-)

On our way to Hawaii tomorrow. Three day stopover on the way home from our winter trip to Thailand and Australia. Sorry to leave. DW is looking forward to getting home again. Me..not so much. I could stay out for another two months!

Last edited:
We're always looking for an airline to take on a new destination, and this year it's Boston to Madrid that is offering cheap flights. Visiting Toledo on a day trip.

What search engines or websites do you use to find deals on airfare? How great that your granddaughter is old enough to travel with you! Adds a whole new dimension to your experience I’m sure! Kids are so excited about new things.

Plan on visiting DM and DGM in Iowa, DF in TX, and a frail uncle in silver City, NM. I’ll likely leave in October and return to Tacoma after thanksgiving. I thought about flying, but will likely make a road trip out of it. All are in poor health, and DGM is in her 90’s, so it may be the last time I see them ambulatory.

Making it a road trip means I can stop by a cousin who settled in Montana and whom I haven’t seen in decades.

This multiple month vacation is my first step into semi-FIRE. I’m very much looking forward to it.

Just planned an 18 day journey. Flying first class to New York City with the buy one get one free first class ticket on my American Express card.. Two nights there then on a 13 day cruise from New York to Europe. Will only have one day at each port. Ireland 2 ports. Belgium, UK, Paris - France, and ending in Amsterdam. 2 days in Amsterdam. We thought this would be a great way to see and get a feel for where we would like to go visit for longer stays for the next visit.

We will also be flying first class back home from Europe

In the fall (Sept and Oct) we are taking the RV across the country to spend 2 months on the east coast. We have been to the east coast many times but on a limited schedule because of work.

We also have a dog and have to pick and choose trips that are abroad.

Exciting news about your Europe trip!

We will also be loading up the beagles in Sept. and heading east in our big new truck.

We’ve rented a small house in Middletown, RI, in October, which we’ll use as our base for exploring the area.

I'm now scheduled for prostate scopes & biopsies next month.

Keep your chin up. I've had three prostate biopsies so far, and they were all negative. The way I look at it, even though they only remove small samples, it still reduces the size of the thing and that's a plus. Enough biopsies and it will be all gone!

Nemo, best wishes for a speedy and painless resolution. Health is so important to enjoyment of life.

Being an infrequent flyer, I didn't know Sunday flights were more expensive and just overpaid a whopping $356 for two flights from NYC to Las Vegas.

I just thought rates had gone up in the last 2 years from when we flew last and also because it was a non stop flight. Ironically, we usually always would fly a Saturday to Saturday in the past.

Live and learn. Damn- that would have paid for our rental car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom