Any Travel Plan for 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We enjoy cruising and independent travel. We don’t want to cruise in Europe because we want more control in what we see and do. We find it perfect for the Caribbean.

We have not taken a guided tour ever. And we have taken only 3 cruises so far, and that was spread out over 25 years.

When I cannot travel on my own, will probably do more cruises. It still allows more personal freedom than sitting on a bus all day and being told what to do, although you cannot venture too far from ports.

I guess I'd better keep busy traveling while I still can.

Cultural geomorphological osmosis? ;)

Sounds like a made-up word from a man who probably missed out on a lot of interesting spots to see. :cool:

But seriously, your style of travel is more like that of "Bald and Bankrupt" on Youtube, but he's still young and can take a lot more risk. A lot more.

We took two guided tour trips for the first time in the past 18 months. They were different than our other trips but they were so much fun in their own way. I wouldn’t rule them out in the future. We have five trips planned so far for the next 12 months, none guided, but one strikes fear into my heart—Disneyworld with granddaughters. Eek.

We take some tours and do some things independently. We normally see the busy spots early. We also like to wander and see where it leads us. We did a combination of this in Rome but we spent 10 days there so had lots of time. Some of our friends have taken bus tours in Europe and that’s my idea of hell.

Nothing firm planned yet, but I did purchase a $1000 Delta gift card for $899 at Costco.com. Another 4% off that because I used my Costco Visa and I am an Executive member (or something like that). So the actual cost is $863. I figure it's an incentive to get planning.

I want to go to Glacier National Park and Denali National Park in 2020. So I thought we could combine the 2 into one driving adventure. Until I figured that it will be at least 140 hours of driving just getting to and from. These will have to be 2 separate flying trips.

Attachments

• Alaska road trip overall.jpg
    Alaska road trip overall.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 34
I want to go to Glacier National Park and Denali National Park in 2020. So I thought we could combine the 2 into one driving adventure. Until I figured that it will be at least 140 hours of driving just getting to and from. These will have to be 2 separate flying trips.

One tip: Don't do what most do and blow off Fairbanks. It's a nice town and a nice area to spend a few days.

Another: If my goal was to visit Denali, I would fly into Fairbanks, rent a car (or go with a tourist operation) and then take the train down to Anchorage to fly home.

Tortola in Feb with my brit friends. Northern Arkansas to finish some work on DS (sister) house with my DS (son). Probably in March for a week. Work half the day and then golf. Maui in the fall with DW. We have done Oahu and Kuwai so far. 2021 planning on a WW1 battelfield tour with USMC buddies (France).

Getting ready for a bucket list trip I've been dreaming about most of my life. Heading to Antarctica soon, with a side trip to the Falklands. Wow!

One tip: Don't do what most do and blow off Fairbanks. It's a nice town and a nice area to spend a few days.

Another: If my goal was to visit Denali, I would fly into Fairbanks, rent a car (or go with a tourist operation) and then take the train down to Anchorage to fly home.

Thanks for the advice. I briefly looked at the Fairbanks - Anchorage train earlier. The train becomes the primary option now that I removed the driving the whole route idea.

Getting ready for a bucket list trip I've been dreaming about most of my life. Heading to Antarctica soon, with a side trip to the Falklands. Wow!
That will be a sweet trip!

Awesome! Don't hear too many people making a trip like this!

I want to make such a driving trip in a few years when I fully retire. If you are retired, the most you have is time.

Wow indeed!

I saw a travel show going to the Antarctic. May have been Anthony Bourdain.

Spent a few days on a ship which I believe left from South America.

Then he made acquaintances with some installation where there were all kinds of scientists so the cook there was producing a high volume of food.

Then maybe a short trip to glaciers where there would be penguins.

I researched visiting Torres del Paine park. It's not the southernmost tip of Chile but it's close.

As far as I could tell, from the nearest airport, you had to take a bush for hours and hours to get to the park and then there were limited lodging options.

The scenery looked great, almost otherworldly.

But it's suppose to be very windy so on some days, it may not be suitable for touring on foot.

I don't even like to see 40% cloud cover when I'm on trips.:LOL:

Wow - I’d think you were my neighbors but they left on their Antarctica trip 2 weeks ago!

Booked a last minute Panama Canal cruise Miami to Santiago Chili. Will stay in Santiago until we decide to head back home.

I just got back from a weekend trip to Vilnius, Lithuania. It was a lively, vibrant city with beautiful European old town charm. It had the feel of an expensive European city, but without the price tag. It's a bit off the beaten path, but definitely worth a visit.

Baltics have a higher crime rate than Western Europe.

Not as high as big US cities but higher.

Any problems?

Baltics have a higher crime rate than Western Europe.

Not as high as big US cities but higher.

Any problems?

I don't know that this is true.

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/region_rankings.jsp?title=2019-mid&region=150

Vilnius and Tallinn rank as safer than average for European cities and Kaunas and Riga slightly less safe. It looks pretty comparable to Western European cities.

Regardless, I did not feel unsafe whatsoever while there. Streets were well lit, there were plenty of police, and I didn't notice any homeless or sketchy things on the street. However, I did only stay in the more touristy old town areas. I'm sure there are bad parts of this city, just as there are all cities. Over the next month, I'll be doing weekend trips to Riga, Latvia and to Tallinn, Estonia. I'll report back how they are as well.

Booked a last minute Panama Canal cruise Miami to Santiago Chili. Will stay in Santiago until we decide to head back home.

In the spring, we took this cruise in the opposite direction...Santiago to Miami. We spent a few days in Santiago before the cruise. We enjoyed the cruise, the Panama Canal, and the cruise stops except for Trujillo. Trujillo was just sad looking. Driving around the fields were trash covered. It will make you want to ban plastic bags. We were traveling with another couple and we did not take ship excursions but had good luck with private excursions after we reached the port...didn’t book ahead. Cruise critic had an active roll call that I read before the cruise.

It will make you want to ban plastic bags.

I remember when plastic bags replaced paper ones in supermarkets and elsewhere......they were hailed as "Going To Save The Rainforests"......oh dear.

I don't know that this is true.

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/region_rankings.jsp?title=2019-mid&region=150

Vilnius and Tallinn rank as safer than average for European cities and Kaunas and Riga slightly less safe. It looks pretty comparable to Western European cities.

Regardless, I did not feel unsafe whatsoever while there. Streets were well lit, there were plenty of police, and I didn't notice any homeless or sketchy things on the street. However, I did only stay in the more touristy old town areas. I'm sure there are bad parts of this city, just as there are all cities. Over the next month, I'll be doing weekend trips to Riga, Latvia and to Tallinn, Estonia. I'll report back how they are as well.

I was in Tallinn last winter and found it totally enjoyable, especially the old medieval town section. I stayed a little bit out from the old town and had to walk through some slightly run down areas, but never felt unsafe. Not something that I would say about many US cities.

I remember when plastic bags replaced paper ones in supermarkets and elsewhere......they were hailed as "Going To Save The Rainforests"......oh dear.

Not only saving the rainforests, when I was in Connecticut this Fall, I had to buy the plastic bags @ $0.10/each when checking out of the grocery store. So Connecticut is saving itself too? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom