Anybody like their job?

In order to really really really truly know if you LIKE OR DISLIKE your job. First you must be FINCANCIALLY INDEPEDENT.

yes, i really believe that. Just imagine if you have 3-4 million dollars in the bank. Are you still coming to work and convicing everyone that you love your job:confused: According to the one statistic i read "... most of the people coming back to work after retirement are caused by financial issue..." NOT because they love their job.

there you have it. GOT TO BE FI FIRST

enuff2eat

I enjoyed my job with NASA but I am basically a low energy person with some chronic health issues. I found that I did not have the time and energy while working to do the activities that I both enjoy (swimming and walking) and that I need to do to maintain my health. So, I retired at age 55 and went back as a part time contractor on the same NASA project for two more years. I have been fully retired for a year and a half. I swim three or four days a week now and walk 3-4 miles the other days. If I had more energy and better health I might still be working part time.

Grumpy

Enuff2Eat said:
In order to really really really truly know if you LIKE OR DISLIKE your job.  First you must be FINCANCIALLY INDEPEDENT.

yes, i really believe that. Just imagine if you have 3-4 million dollars in the bank.  Are you still coming to work and convicing everyone that you love your job:confused: According to the one statistic i read "... most of the people coming back to work after retirement are caused by financial issue..." NOT because they love their job.

there you have it. GOT TO BE FI FIRST

enuff2eat

Enuff2eat has a valid point. Most people start their careers doing something they either "believe in" or believe they enjoy. After a while, most people do a job just for the paycheck.

grumpy, if you had more energy sounds like you would try to climb Everest?

I liked my job, i got tired of the International travelling, tired of dealing with HR who seemd to damn anxious to placate whiners instead of firing them, tired of dealing with individuals trying to advance their own personal agenda, should have stayed on the road, sales I loved.

Like Grumpy did, I like working for NASA. Each year there is a poll in the Federal Govt about the enjoyment level of each agencies employees. NASA has been rated #1 as long as this poll has been run. The other highly rated agencies are also science agencies like NIH, NOAA and the like. And I think it is because the whole atmosphere is that you are doing "good" work and are working with people who want to be there. I have had 5 jobs in the Fed govt and NASA is the best because of what we do and the quality of the workforce. Most everyone could have a better paying job elswhere if they were only interested in money.
I understand why people would not like bottom feeder jobs like McDs or high power professionals who are making big money but burning out under the pressure. Well, there are jobs where people actually like what they do. I am fortunate to have found one. Now, if I won $1M in the lottery I suppose I would retire but I would still follow NASA and developments in science. In fact I could probably get to more launches and landing---hey, maybe a reason to retire?
My new manager seems to be OK, (I really liked my last manager,(ex astronaut, Phd in astronomy ect) and I would not leave as long as he was there.) I expect to work on a bit until my younger son starts college.
What I think is a valid adendum to the subject of this thread is not just when do you leave a job you don't like but when do you leave a job you do like? There will come a time to leave and, if I am lucky, it will be because I am "done" not because I don't like the work.

setab, I pretty much liked my job. I worked for someone else, then started a small firm in the same field. But when you see the possibility of FI coming around the corner, your perspective changes. My partners are still at it; though I'm not privy to their finances, I know based on estimates of what people are able to live on here, that their continuing to work is not solely about keeping their heads above water, it's about accumulating toys.

Many people will never reach FI, but for those who have it within their reach and don't take it... ??

Working for yourself has its own set of rewards, but you do trade in one boss for twenty. It's a matter of the whole mindset.. you are trading your time and life energy exactly for what?

Others have mentioned the book "Your Money or Your Life", and while it isn't the be-all and end-all of FI books, I think it is required reading for anyone considering RE. It will really get you thinking about every transaction in your life as a quid pro quo.. a trade-off.. The fact that you are even reading this board probably means that the trade-offs are starting to get out of balance with the direction in which you think your life should be going.

all the time some of you spend managing your assets and portfolios.  To me, that seems like "work."

As far as time spent managing portfolios and what-not, I dare to say that it gets easier as time goes on. If you are serious about growing your nest egg, it takes more time and energy to decide/commit how to distribute $10k in savings appropriately than it does $10 million. The people here, as someone else noted, who really delve into the nitty-gritty of it often do so for pleasure -- sure, for the most part because they've got a lot of time and money and brain-power to spare that they would otherwise have been deploying on behalf of someone else rather than themselves. I don't think anyone here devotes 40 hours a week to it, or 20.. or 10..

And even if they did? It's a whole other feeling to be in the driver's seat rather than the passenger's seat.  :)

If you like your job alright, there's nobody telling you you should quit before you're ready. You seem to be focusing on the people who are the already-FIREd-wheeler-dealers and not on the numerous ants who also post here and keep socking it away with an eye towards RE..  Believe me, the working world takes on a whole 'nother aspect when you can look a boss/client/subordinate in the eye while thinking, "I'm here because I want to be here; you are here because you (feel you) have to be here."

It depends on how much you like your job, how much it defines who you are, how painless it is on any number of levels (commuting, travel, family leave, health, management support or lack thereof). It's not cut-and-dried.

If you can develop the FI mentality, work towards RE AND keep a job you like, you have a win-win situation, no?  Then you have the power to call the shots.

grumpy said:
  If I had more energy and better health I might still  be working part time.

Grumpy

Me too. Sounds like we are in similar situations.

JG

I enjoyed my job for about 15yrs, as the atmosphere was fairly low-key, being in a R&D environment. Since then, however, the atmosphere, and morale, have deteriorated significantly... :'(

I love my job at the moment because I'm learning new technology at warp speed.  It's challenging, invigorating and exciting.  However, this will soon pass as the honeymoon phase turns into daily grind. :p Check back in 6 months and I'll be back into my job search mode again.

davew894 said:
-Stares of co-workers when leaving at 5:15.
-

Dave, Dave, Dave,

Do I detect an attitude problem?

Have you seen Office Space? Sounds like your place. If you haven't seen it then rent it and look at the part where the restaurant manager says to the Jenniffer Aniston character "What do you think of people who only do the minimum?" And she has a fairly good response.

I hope that part was funny. Now one other comment, and I hope this can come accross well. For me at least my family and spending time with them really is my priority. I know we all need to work but at least for me if I were away from my family 60 to 70 hours a week regularly I would focus on a way to change that. Our society only pays lip service to fatherhood. Nords posts a lot of interesting things but to me the most meaningful thing he once said was something like his full time job is being a good husband & father.
My dad was like that, I am trying to be like that and please come join the club.

WhodaThunkit said:
Dave -- I would like to make a few suggestions, and don't intend to be unkind.

This is the worst time of year at work for many people, especially if you had some real time off for the holidays.  Things will probably get a little better.  Things get a lot better at work after you reach financial independence.

Speaking of financial independence -- Up until very recently, people around the world universally lived in terrible poverty.  My guess is that you're free from that.   Probably you have good health and some friends, too.  My grandfather contracted ALS and died in 1932, one of the worst years of the depression, leaving my mother's family destitute.  Then came Hitler and WWII.  Bellieve me, we live better than they did.  It helps a lot to be thankful for your blessings.

I suffer this time of year because of undiagnosed SAD, which seems to get worse as I get older. When I am really in the dumps, I like to remind myself that I am only two generations from having squirrel and potatoes for dinner ('cause they couldn't afford to eat the meat they raised on the farm).

Dave,

You are experiencing the "pissed off at the world" feelings I get sometimes too. You are spinning your wheels doing your job, getting by, saving money. Same old routine.

Take a break. Stop and smell the roses. Walk through the park. Take a deep breath of fresh air. Relax.

Setab,

Your question implies that people who quit their job in order to retire should only do so because they hate their career. This is far from the truth. I turn 55 this year and plan to retire in June.  I happen to love my job.  

I realize, however, that I only have so many good healthy years left in my life.  My good health can end in just one heartbeat. There is no way to predict how long we'll be able to enjoy quality in our lives, let alone be alive period.

Although, I find work very rewarding and enjoyable, I also have numerous other interests and activites that I enjoy, such as traveling, reading, camping, hiking, jogging, finance, gardening, and do-it-yourself projects, to name a few.

Unfortunately, having a job precludes my participation in these interests and activites on a full time basis.  If I continue working, there'll be many unfulfilled passions and missed opportunities.  Time can never be replaced. My remaining years are very precious and will not be exchanged for money because society says we should work well into old age.

Retire Soon

Retire Soon,

Your thoughts are exactly what is driving me. There are no guarantees in life and while I feel fine today, who knows about tomorrow? There a lot of things out there that I want to do yet. True, I don't particularly care for my job at this point; it is a means to an end. However, more importantly, I just want to be in charge of my time from here on out. I will never have the FI part, but I am oh so ready for the RE. Now all I need is the courage to move on.

setab

Retire Soon said:
setab,

Your question implies that people who quit their job in order to retire should only do so because they hate their career. This is far from the truth. I turn 55 this year and plan to retire in June.  I happen to love my job.  

I realize, however, that I only have so many good healthy years left in my life.  My good health can end in just one heartbeat. There is no way to predict how long we'll be able to enjoy quality in our lives, let alone be alive period.

Although, I find work very rewarding and enjoyable, I also have numerous other interests and activites that I enjoy, such as traveling, reading, camping, hiking, jogging, finance, gardening, and do-it-yourself projects, to name a few.

Unfortunately, having a job precludes my participation in these interests and activites on a full time basis.  If I continue working, there'll be many unfulfilled passions and missed opportunities.  Time can never be replaced. My remaining years are very precious and will not be exchanged for money because society says we should work well into old age.

Retire Soon

Wow, I agree with a lot of this, and other things that were said.  I've been in my current job for almost 6 years.  As jobs go, it's a pretty good one, though it's less fun as time goes on.  More stress, more responsibility all the time.  Add a 1+hour commute each way every day, and the week is pretty much shot without ever getting to the things that are really important to me.   I've had one encounter with cancer already.  I need time to get on with the rest of my life!

The nice thing about getting ready to FIRE from a job I like is that I don't feel like I'm FIRE-ing for the wrong reasons.

JMHO
CJ

setab said:
I'm just wondering if anybody here actually liked their job when they were working. If so, why retire? I can see leaving a job you hate, but why not find something you like to do and stay with it? Just curious.

I liked all of my jobs. I ERed because I didn't have enough free time to do things I liked even more.

setab said:
Exactly! I'm just trying to decide whether I fit the "retire now" profile even if I don't want to spend a lot of time looking at portfolios, withdrawal percentages, etc. I know myself too well. I just wouldn't do it.
Out of the nearly 2000 registered posters of this board, only a few of us talk investing & portfolio management. It's our obsession hobby and it helps us deal with our insecurity in the decisions we've made verify that we're the only ones doing it right.

Vanguard gives you plenty of tools to set & forget your portfolio and its withdrawals. Vanguard Diehards gives you plenty of support for doing so.

You fit the "ER now" profile if you'd rather do anything other than get up and go to the office...

davew894 said:
I got to thinking more about your question and on my way in this morning, I thought of a list of why I want to FIRE. Some of these are funny, I suppose, most are serious and all are annoying.
Impressive list, Dave. I have a similar one from the submarine force that I'm going to have to dig up. It inspired me to do something about having to work for a living, and it sounds like your list is keeping your eye on the prize too!

I loved my last career for the first 7 years or so, but then the company got sold, and then sold again and then sold again.  I got tired of training new owners, and finally decided I needed to focus on ER.  I put all my efforts into learning investing.  Luckly I suceeded, and was able to retire at 56.  The current owners of the company were pretty much un-trainable too, so after 18 years it was time to leave.  The downside of this whole FI thing (for me) is that I do focus too much on investments.  I'm working on reducing that focus, but I think it may be quite an effort (job), before I can comfortably (safely) do that.

You fit the "ER now" profile if you'd rather do anything other than get up and go to the office...
Why didn't somebody say so? I am definitely one of you! I feel better already.

setab :LOL:

Count me in also! I am seriously considering taking an early retirement if one is offered later this year. I will have over 33 years in at that time and I feel that it is time to move on to other things!

I had last week and this week off and I am dreading going back to work next week. I will have to start thinking about how many people would love to have my job and how it would feel to be unemployed and needing work and how grateful I should be to have my job. This is the type of talk that I have with myself when I need an attitude adjustment!

Dreamer

Sure, I have a great job as an Engineer. I get to solve problems for others, design better equipment and invent things. Even at that, there are so many things I enjoy doing and would like to have the freedom to pursue these activities while I am still young enough and healthy enough to enjoy it. What's the line? "So much time, so little to do......uh, reverse that"......

I loved my last career for the first 7 years or so, but then the company got sold, and then sold again and then sold again. I got tired of training new owners, and finally decided I needed to focus on ER. I put all my efforts into learning investing. Luckly I suceeded, and was able to retire at 56. The current owners of the company were pretty much un-trainable too, so after 18 years it was time to leave. The downside of this whole FI thing (for me) is that I do focus too much on investments. I'm working on reducing that focus, but I think it may be quite an effort (job), before I can comfortably (safely) do that.

Seems that is a common thread by folks (liking their job for many years and some change ruins it). I dont know how folks can make it 30 years in the same place. Must be very flexible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom