anyone buy a new washer/dryer recently?

After looking at different reviews and just getting more confused I went to Home Depot and bought the one that looked the most like what I wanted when our last one died. It is a GE top load, with an agitator, fairly large tub big enough to fit a comforter. I have been satisfied with it. If you don’t pay attention to evenly put towels or sheets evenly in a circle it can go off tilt.

The dryer is the same one we have had for 25 years. I talked to a repair place and they recommended keeping older ones as newer models are higher maintenance.

Some new top loaders have load balancing. It giggles the drum before adding water so that it won’t shake around.

We leave the door open a bit so it dries out... sometimes the DW will wipe it off...

We had our old one for 15 years and no bad smells... current one is only a few months but so far nothing...

As always, YMMV...

We leave the lid up on our top loader when not being used. No smells.

Just FYI: GE sold off their appliance division to Haier, a Chines company, in 2016. However, I believe the washing machines are made in the USA.

I was curious if anyone has bought a new top-load washer & dryer in the past couple years that you would recommend? Just about every review, regardless of brand, has major complaints. So figured I would see if anyone is happy with a recent purchase?

Speed queen washer a few years ago. Commercial grade similar to what is used in laundromats but without the coin operation. On/off, hot or cold, that's it.

We also have a Speed Queen set bought in about 2018. We have been very happy with them so far.

We purchased a Speed Queen top loader and dryer in 2022. This is our second set as we left our previous ones in the house we sold in 2020. We have been pleased with them.

Bought a new speed queen washer and dryer from a family owned appliance center in my town mid 2022.

Was told SQ is the best. I hope they are because I paid a pretty price.

Was also influenced by the fact that they are made in Wisconsin.
Time will tell if it was worth the price.

+1 for Speed Queen! Once you have a Speed Queen washer and dryer, you’ll never consider another brand.

+1 for Speed Queen! Once you have a Speed Queen washer and dryer, you’ll never consider another brand.

We also bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer in February.
We like that you can just set it and forget it.
Simple and works very well.

well...I would have sworn our last top loader was LG, but my wife says it was Samsung because of the tune it played - she always remembered it that way. Regardless - it was GREAT, and I maintained it myself for over 10 years; after the first time, it was pretty easy to take apart to get at the insides, and I replaced a couple of things myself with no problems at all (thanks to google and a really good appliance website with videos.) We now have a GE - we "had" to leave the washer at the old place (growl). No problems yet.

One piece of advice is to stay away from Maytag!!

We bought a top-of-the-line Maytag, which lasted exactly 11 days past its 2-year warranty. I brought in a repair person, who eventually told us that he couldn't repair that piece of sh&t, after we spent another $200 for a new circuit board, plus his fees. The part we really needed is no longer manufactured by Maytag. Thanks for nothing!

Spent twice as much for a Speed Queen, which comes with a 7-year warranty.

Read Consumer Reports. We have had good luck with their picks and I would believe them over any salesperson.

LG HE top-load washer since 2010.

I think we got ours in 2012. Very pleased except the metal around the bleach cup wants to rust out. I made a repair about 5 yrs ago and need to do it again. Lots of brands have this issue apparently. So glad we went top load!

Have you checked Consumer Reports? When I am shopping major appliances or cars I usually sign up on line, get my info, then cancel the membership. IIRC a month's membership was around $10 +/-.

Depending on where you live, your local library's online site might provide a complimentary CR membership! ?

Speed Queen was recommended by our repair guy. They are made to be repaired-the other brands are meant to be replaced. Love my simple speed queen!

I bought a commercial speed queen top loader from on line Appliance company. I love it! Only downside is a large comforter will not fit, but speed queen says their size is based on the maximum size to effectively clean your clothes and I agree. I've had large top loaders that didn't really clean a giant load. When I ordered, they even asked if I wanted the "coin/payment " component...I laughed and said no. It is fast, quiet and efficient. It only has 3 cycles. I just went with a generic GE dryer. I line dry a lot of my clothes so the dryer wasn't as important to me and I didn't want to pay the speed queen price for the dryer.

DW got new LG set this year. Good so far.

I was curious if anyone has bought a new top-load washer & dryer in the past couple years that you would recommend? Just about every review, regardless of brand, has major complaints. So figured I would see if anyone is happy with a recent purchase?

We bought a brand new home in 2020. We had the builder's appliance person put in a GEW845 top loader and have had no issues. It has all kinds of bells and whistles and wifi- all of which I never use. I use the basic wash cycles that I have always been used to and I wash everything in cold water as I always have all my life. Very happy with it. Has an agitator and very deep drum. I am short with short arms so I have to use 16 inch tongs to get the clothes out! LOL!

I wash comforters and blankets in it no problem but have to make sure they are placed inside just right so as to not put the washer off balance.

I don't like front loading machines Had them in our timeshare condo and also a rental house when we lived in while we were waiting for the new home to be built.

Have always had GE's or Hot Points (which were essentially GE's) and swear by them.

Last edited:
GE

I’ve purchased two bottom of the line sets of washers and dryers for my two homes over the past few years and both sets work great. I purchased the first set in 2016 and liked it so well I purchased another set ,very similar but updated, in 2022.

I've got a front-loader LG. I just wanted to add no issues and it is 13 years old.

One of the major reasons a washing machine needs replacing is they become unbalanced and noisy from a worn bearing. Fortunately this is a simple and inexpensive part. Unfortunately to remove and replace it is a major job that usually takes a few hours and costs more in labor than to just replace the washing machine. When this happened to my old washer (that was just fine in all other aspects) I was going to do this myself until I saw what was involved. The repair man said it was not worth the effort and the youtube videos confirmed this.
As with so many other kinds of machines that need repair it could have been designed to be an easy fix.

Cheers!

Last edited:
We replaced the front loading Kenmore elite washer that came with our house a couple of months ago. The plastic/Delrin ring in the front of the tub started shredding leaving plastic bits and "hairs" on the clothes and plugging up the drain filter!

It was a 2015 model so not that old in the scheme of things. The house we sold in 2020 we left an LG set with a top loading washer that had all the bells and whistles and a direct drive tub. It was 11 years old then and worked and looked like new!

Replaced the Kenmore front loader with a top loader LG but with a bit fewer bells and whistles than our old one as we did not use most of the extra features. If the Kenmore dryer gives out we will replace it with a matching LG unit at that time.

I think we got ours in 2012. Very pleased except the metal around the bleach cup wants to rust out. I made a repair about 5 yrs ago and need to do it again. Lots of brands have this issue apparently. So glad we went top load!

Same issue here though it's not in danger of rusting out yet.

How did you repair it?

Remove plastic part & use rust converter?

We bought speed queen washer and dryer. Had them for about a year no problems with them. We got the ones below top of line series. We did not need all the fancy bells and whistles. Our repair guy whom we trust a lot told us of the brand. Check it out made in USA , parts easy to get. Hosp, laundry mats use them so they get a lot of use without a lot of repairs. More expensive than others but if they last the 15-20 years expected. It will be the last ones I own.

Back
Top Bottom