Anyone else not receive a ssa-1099 due to social security check being withheld?

Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I receive a CSRS pension from the Federal government. I also receive a very tiny social security check (due to WEP) which they withhold for my Medicare premiums. My social security check does not cover the amount of my Medicare premium, so they send me a letter telling me how much to send to them to cover the rest of my Medicare premiums for the year.

They have not sent my SSA-1099, so I can't do my taxes. I tried to get it on SSA.gov, but could not get it. I called my social security office on 3/10/22 and asked them to send it. I also told them that I did not receive a letter showing how much I needed to pay for my 2022 Medicare premiums. He told me that he would take care of it. I called back yesterday and told him that I had not received it. I asked him if he could print it and I would come to the office to pick it up. He stated that he is not able to print it either and had sent a request to the Payment Center to provide it to me along with the Medicare premium amount that I owed.

I never receive a letter telling me my new amount after the COLA.

It would be so much easier if they would let the Medicare premiums be deducted from my civil service pension.

If this has happened to anyone on here, can you tell me what you did to resolve this problem.

Thanks

Login to Medicare.gov, check Make a Payment. It will show what is due,you can also check Your Payment History there.

Someone who’s taxes I did couldn’t find their ssa-1099. So, I found this number on the SSA site and was able to request one using their phone menu system. They sent out a replacement in about a week.

From SSA:

If you have questions or need help understanding how to request your replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S online, call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 or visit your Social Security office

Login to Medicare.gov, check Make a Payment. It will show what is due,you can also check Your Payment History there.

I have not tried having an online Medicare account, so I just set it up. It showed how much I sent to them in 2021. It says that I can not pay online since I don't have a Medicare Premium bill (CMS 500).

It was worth a shot, so thanks.

Someone who’s taxes I did couldn’t find their ssa-1099. So, I found this number on the SSA site and was able to request one using their phone menu system. They sent out a replacement in about a week.

From SSA:

If you have questions or need help understanding how to request your replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S online, call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 or visit your Social Security office

I did request it by calling the toll-free number on 3/10/22. I called my local Social Security office and requested it again and the Medicare premium bill. I have not received anything from anyone. When I called them back on 3/23/22, they said that the Payment Center would have to send it.

Thanks for the reply though.

I receive a CSRS pension from the Federal government. I also receive a very tiny social security check (due to WEP) which they withhold for my Medicare premiums. My social security check does not cover the amount of my Medicare premium, so they send me a letter telling me how much to send to them to cover the rest of my Medicare premiums for the year.

They have not sent my SSA-1099, so I can't do my taxes. I tried to get it on SSA.gov, but could not get it. I called my social security office on 3/10/22 and asked them to send it. I also told them that I did not receive a letter showing how much I needed to pay for my 2022 Medicare premiums. He told me that he would take care of it. I called back yesterday and told him that I had not received it. I asked him if he could print it and I would come to the office to pick it up. He stated that he is not able to print it either and had sent a request to the Payment Center to provide it to me along with the Medicare premium amount that I owed.

I never receive a letter telling me my new amount after the COLA.

It would be so much easier if they would let the Medicare premiums be deducted from my civil service pension. You don't need to have the form to do your taxes - you just need the numbers.

If this has happened to anyone on here, can you tell me what you did to resolve this problem.

Thanks
This happened to a friend of mine. SSA gave him the numbers over the phone (they couldn't even print it themselves).

I have not tried having an online Medicare account, so I just set it up. It showed how much I sent to them in 2021. It says that I can not pay online since I don't have a Medicare Premium bill (CMS 500).

It was worth a shot, so thanks.

If you don't have any Federal tax withheld from your SS, you can calculate the number you need to do your return.

First, figure out which IRMAA tier you fall into and lookup the Part B monthly premium using this chart. https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sheets/2021-medicare-parts-b-premiums-and-deductibles

If you have Parts C and/or D taken out of SS, you'll also have to look up those monthly premiums for 2021 and add them to the Part B premium. I didn't google for those, but you can probably find them yourself.

Multiply the monthly premium by however many months you were enrolled in 2021 to get your total premiums paid. Subtract the amount you paid out of pocket, which you got from your online Medicare account. Whatever is left is the amount of SS you received that should be reported on your 1040 line 6a.

If you're itemizing, the total amount of premiums for all Medicare parts gets entered on Schedule A with your other medical expenses. If you have your own business, then you can use them for the self-employed health insurance deduction instead.

This happened to a friend of mine. SSA gave him the numbers over the phone (they couldn't even print it themselves).

The gentleman that I spoke with at social security said that if he figured it correctly, this was the amount that I received. However, I did not want to do my taxes not knowing if he figured it correctly or not.

If you don't have any Federal tax withheld from your SS, you can calculate the number you need to do your return.

First, figure out which IRMAA tier you fall into and lookup the Part B monthly premium using this chart. https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sheets/2021-medicare-parts-b-premiums-and-deductibles

If you have Parts C and/or D taken out of SS, you'll also have to look up those monthly premiums for 2021 and add them to the Part B premium. I didn't google for those, but you can probably find them yourself.

Multiply the monthly premium by however many months you were enrolled in 2021 to get your total premiums paid. Subtract the amount you paid out of pocket, which you got from your online Medicare account. Whatever is left is the amount of SS you received that should be reported on your 1040 line 6a.

If you're itemizing, the total amount of premiums for all Medicare parts gets entered on Schedule A with your other medical expenses. If you have your own business, then you can use them for the self-employed health insurance deduction instead.

This was perfect and I don't know why I did not think of this myself. After doing this, it agreed with the amount that the man at social security thought that I received. I now feel comfortable doing my taxes.

Thanks to everyone that offered solutions. This forum is the best!

Back
Top Bottom