Anyone got any travel planned? 2018 version

We are headed to Quebec for a week to attend a music festival. After that wandering thru Nova Scotia and North East US, ending in Boston. Spending a couple days in Boston visiting our son (lives in Cambridge) and outlaws who live in a small town outside of Boston. Also hitting a Red Sox ball game while we are there.

My first time in North east Canada and US.

We are in Nova Scotia (PEI) now. The weather has been perfect the past few days. Its a beautiful island that I highly recommend. IMG_2608.JPG

After 5 trips to Europe in 3 1/2 years, we are staying close to home. Going back to the North Georgia.Mountains next week to stay in our RV.

I’m working on a last minute whirlwind Washington state trip to beat the heat!

IF DW gets the all clear from her surgery we are thinking of Morocco in Oct.
Then to Paris. DW would fly home, I want to take a Gate1 tour of India in late Oct/early November. Cannot book anything though until mid Sept so it is very much up in the air.

What brings you back there?

Doing volunteer 'work'. Teaching mainly. I didn't want to leave in the summer and come to the 'winter' but others apparently wanted to come even less. Highs in the 50s and grey rather than 90s and sun. :(

DW and I are back from Tuscon and Spacefest IX last week. Chatted with astronauts and mission controllers, plus had dinner with Al Worden of Apollo 15. Also met Jani Radebaugh from How the Universe Works. Next up is Glacier National Park.

Husband and I are looking to take a driving trip along the west edge of Michigan........parks, beaches, lighthouses, sand dunes. We will be entering the state from the south. Any REALLY special places to see, stop, or stay :confused:? We like 'people-watching' a day or so at the beach catching some sun. We are 'walkers', in other words we don't do strenuous hiking, but like to go for a couple mile walk seeing "stuff". Not into fancy-smanchy food, but into good local home cooking.

Suggestions !:confused: Thanks.
Not sure how far North you are going, but if you are going up towards Traverse City, the Glen Haven/Glen arbor area are beautiful - lighthouses, Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Park, and many things to do/see in Traverse City area. If you venture further North, Charlevoix/Petoskey/Harbor Springs all have great downtowns and waterfronts to explore, and take M119 the "Tunnel of Trees" north 25 miles from Harbor Springs to Legs in in Cross Village, beautiful drive along the shore bluffs, Legs Inn is great dining (mid price) with outdoor patio and gardens on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. All Beautiful!

Heading for the Blue Ridge Mountains and our fifth wheel RV tomorrow. We will have four adults and three grandkids in tight quarters. 3 big screens and the internet will help.

The good news is there is so much to do, including the Georgia Mountain Fair. The son in law is a barbecue contest competitor so we may eat well.

I just booked an Alaska cruise for 2019. It will be on the same ship we are cruising to Hawaii this year. The special offer includes the Premium Drink Package, Free Gratuities and Free Specialty Dining..
We also get free laundry, free internet, and free hors d'ouvres. DW does not know yet I booked it LOL

We ramped up the travel this year. I think we actually busted the (substantial) budget, but the portfolio is doing great even at 56/44 AA so "blow that dough!"

We were in St. Lucia for diving in April.

Visited DS2 at his summer internship in Santa Fe/Los Alamos last week - Bandelier National Monument is really cool. The tourist area of Santa Fe was interesting but, touristy...

We're leaving for our annual Turks and Caicos AI on Saturday.

We're back to Bonaire for diving in September.

Plus road trips to Atlanta to deliver/retrieve DS2 at GATech.

Best of all, we booked a dive trip on the Kona Aggressor in December 2019. Our 30th is in October 2019, and we honeymooned in Honolulu and Kona. So this is our 30th anniversary trip!

Just booked a round trip business class from SFO to London for just under $2600 for next April and May. It's a sale on United, BA and Virgin Atlantic and some others.

Gonna look for a separate flight to somewhere warmer than the UK though.

Just booked a round trip business class from SFO to London for just under $2600 for next April and May. It's a sale on United, BA and Virgin Atlantic and some others.

Gonna look for a separate flight to somewhere warmer than the UK though.

Is that for a direct flight to LHR? I don't see any direct flight deals from LAX like that for next May. We are leaving tomorrow for London on Virgin Atlantic but the fare was just over $3700 each for the LAX to LHR leg for non-refundable business class. We booked in January.

Is that for a direct flight to LHR? I don't see any direct flight deals from LAX like that for next May. We are leaving tomorrow for London on Virgin Atlantic but the fare was just over $3700 each for the LAX to LHR leg for non-refundable business class. We booked in January.
+100 for Business Class. We have been flying BA LAX-LHR on Business Class and love it. One of the benefits is the Lounges at each end. At LAX on the 5th floor is a beautiful lounge to get away from the commotion in the Bradley Terminal.
The lounge at LHR is wonderful also. On our last flight home, they put us in a jitney and drove us under all the runways to our gate. It was an experience.
DW loves Business Class as she can sleep on her side.

+100 for Business Class. We have been flying BA LAX-LHR on Business Class and love it. One of the benefits is the Lounges at each end. At LAX on the 5th floor is a beautiful lounge to get away from the commotion in the Bradley Terminal.
The lounge at LHR is wonderful also. On our last flight home, they put us in a jitney and drove us under all the runways to our gate. It was an experience.
DW loves Business Class as she can sleep on her side.

I have been hooked on business/first class since 1988. The first time was on a trip on a KLM 747 to Amsterdam on a business trip. Business class then was nothing like what it is today. However, unlike the company I worked for, I don't want to pay $10-12K each for refundable business class fare. Under $4k to Europe is acceptable during the summer months. We also met a lot of interesting people travelling on business class to and from LAX.

They did a nice job with the upgrades to the Bradley International Terminal several years ago The upgrades to the other terminals are nice also. I agree that the lounges are nice, especially the new Star Alliance lounge at LAX, but I like the lie flat seats and the meal selection and the ability to sleep on those 11-12 hour flights. We like waking up to a nice breakfast without any back or knee pain. You only live once!

Last edited:

You have to play around with the dates. It's not valid for certain days of the week so I fly from Tuesday and return on a Thursday, 3 weeks later.

But if I tried to return on Friday instead, the fare goes up.

And I'm not taking a nonstop in this case from SFO-LHR because I want to arrive there early in the morning to connect with the separate flight.

There are two nonstops for SFO-LHR each day and only one of them is on sale and that's the one that arrives at 14:10, whereas the one that arrives at 6:55 is not on sale.

But for the return, I got a nonstop.

You have to play around with the dates. It's not valid for certain days of the week so I fly from Tuesday and return on a Thursday, 3 weeks later.

But if I tried to return on Friday instead, the fare goes up.

And I'm not taking a nonstop in this case from SFO-LHR because I want to arrive there early in the morning to connect with the separate flight.

There are two nonstops for SFO-LHR each day and only one of them is on sale and that's the one that arrives at 14:10, whereas the one that arrives at 6:55 is not on sale.

But for the return, I got a nonstop.

Okay got it. We usually need to spend at least 6-8 weeks to see family and friends and use the house. The business class fare sales usually start early October for the following summer travel season. Next year, we want to go to Santorini Island among other places. Plus we have to attend a wedding in Italy, if they don't break up between now and then. London has direct flights to Santorini and we always like visiting London plus driving in England is a blast. I'm actually getting used to shifting with my left hand.

Last edited:
. London has direct flights to Santorini and we always like visiting London plus driving in England is a blast. I'm actually getting used to shifting with my left hand.
DW and I got married on Santorini, and after the ceremony we toured the island. May I suggest a great restaurant named Gallini, which is near the airport.

Attachments

• Picture 128.jpg
    Picture 128.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 48
DW and I got married on Santorini, and after the ceremony we toured the island. May I suggest a great restaurant named Gallini, which is near the airport.

That's a nice place to get married. I got married in Switzerland. Thank's for the tip on the restaurant. I've been to Greece many times but never to Santorini. Some friends from high school went last year and their photos and drone videos were amazing.

Just booked a 10 day supported bike tour across Costa Rica. Route goes from the Pacific to the Caribbean. Three hundred miles on a mountain bike. I ride nearly every day and bike race on most weekends so 30 miles a day is no big deal.

This will be my second time in CR. Last winter went down with my wife for the month of December and had an awesome time on a leisurely and somewhat unplanned driving trip.

Looking forward to peddling the back roads of Costa Rica, stopping for lunch at sodas in little towns along the way, a little Guar (local liquor), good food, lots of wildlife, and the friendliest people I have ever met.

Living the dream. Pura Vida.

Back
Top Bottom