Anyone got any travel planned? 2018 version

Southern Utah (Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Arches) in June.

Little trips:
- couple nights in Las Vegas this month to see the Rolling Stones exhibit
- Palm Springs in Feb to enjoy the desert and some Modernism Week activities
- Nor Cal several times for family visits
- camping in the eastern Sierras this summer
- Pinnacles Nat'l Park for bat and condor sightings
- Anza Borrego camping before it gets too hot
- wedding of niece who just got engaged, date and place still tbd

Big trips still in the thinking stage:
- Japan in the spring, or if not there, then a road trip in the Canadian Maritime Provinces
- Austria in Sept for the UCI Road Cycling World Championships, with Switzerland and maybe part of Germany or Italy

-Heading to Tampa area with DW in a few days for the month of January.
-A "boy's" golf trip to AZ for a week towards the end of February.
-Another boy's golf trip to FL for a week in March.
-DW is in the planning stages of a "girl's" trip to Playa del Carmen in September or October.
-We will likely do one other week or two trip together toward the end of 2018; location to be determined.

We are spending February amd March traveling up the east coast of Australia then will take a 40 day cruise from Sydney to Vancouver, B.C.

We are spending February amd March traveling up the east coast of Australia then will take a 40 day cruise from Sydney to Vancouver, B.C.

40 days at sea?

Where are the ports of call between Sydney and Vancouver? Like Hawaii and the US West Coast?

Planning the next 4 road trips. The 3 Phoenix - Chicago routes will be snowbird runs Mar & Nov, 2018 and Mar/April 2019. East coast trip to be summer 2019.

Attachments

• road trips.jpg
    road trips.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 69
We have two major trips planned:

1) Spring: 28 days small-ship cruise from Venice to Rome (down one Italian coast and up the other)
2) Fall: Small(er) ship cruise from Lisbon (Portugal) to Malaga (Spain), then a week in an apartment in Granada (Spain).

Nice trip! Hopefully the road work will be done in Arches by then. We sat in our car for about 1.5 hours at a flagman 1 day in early November.

Oooh - good intel. Our plan is to stay in Cedar City for ~10 days doing day trips, and hit the Arches on the way back. I’ll keep an eye on the road works - thx!

Anyone looking for lodging Key West , we can help . A friend of ours is a travel agent in Key west and she has connections with B&B's that do not list on the net . You say how much you want to pay she will find it . The closer to Duval the more it costs .

St. Louis in March for a Blues/Bruins game.

Fort Walton Beach in May

Hopefully, we will get at least two more 5 days+ trips in for 2018

We have a cruise out of New Orleans booked for January 2019. That sounds so far away, yet it will be here in no time.

Florida for Jan-March, AZ for April, then Churchill Manitoba for a Polar Bears safari in November.

Of course, various extra trips always seem to come up.

Hawaii in April for 9 days - Maui
Jekyll Island for 2 weeks - 10 straight year
Viking Ocean Iconic West Med Barcelona to Rome for Thanksgiving 8 days

Has anyone hired a private guide? I'm looking at a few different 'Less Traveled' locations and I'm not sure if a private guide would be worth it. The first one is, was, Ukraine. I'm still interested in going there but the more I read about it the more I find myself more interested and going to Budapest then on to Bucharest and then perhaps on to Kiev. The private guide I would be hiring would go between Budapest and Bucharest. At Bucharest I would jump on a plane and fly to Kiev. Then I would fly home from Kiev. I don't speak any of these languages so I'm a little concerned about going into an area that I know nothing about. And that may have been less traveled.

On a more frequent route I'm getting ready for my trip down under. Its mid February and I am flying into Sydney. I will be in Sydney for a few days before hopping onto Princess and going to Tasmania. Looking forward to kayaking off Hobart. :) Then I'm back to Sydney before returning to SFO. Fortunately it's a nonstop flight. I wasn't too impressed with the layovers that I experience last year in both Hong Kong and Seattle. Although Hong Kong was a lot more interesting than sitting in SEATAC waiting for the airplane to come in from SFO

Last edited:
Leaving in just under two weeks for our winter trip.

We fly to Singapore for several days, then to Krabi and the Thai islands. We plan to island hop down to Langkawi and Penang. Kuala Lumpur for a few days and then fly to Cebu, Philippines. Tour the Philippines for 30 days, then home from Manila in March.

Booked an eight day China trip for May on a whim. Price was incredible and we thought why not.

We have booked trips to Houston to see granddaughter, to Las Vegas for our timeshare sales pitch and to Maui, ending up on Kauai for a family vacation and granddaughter's second birthday.

We’ll likely make a couple more trips to see granddaughter, one trip to help our youngest move when he finishes his PhD, which might involve a road trip depending on employment, and one trip for our nephew's wedding. We might even try to sneak in a non-family trip in there too.

Back
Top Bottom