Anyone here a member of the NRA?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Since Danny posted his question on what would one do if an intruder entered their home, I was wondering if anyone on this board is a paid member of the NRA (National Rifle Assn.)?
Talking with one of the men I swim with, he had the strong opinion that his neighbor, obviously a huge Charlton Heston/NRA fan with a bumper sticker to match, was a little kookie for belonging to the NRA. He thought, in fact, that the neighbor was a kook and the NRA is some splinter kook group. Very wrong, of course, as this swim buddy has no idea even what the NRA is about. Forgive him as it is just his ignorance to not have a decent argument against the NRA.
However, has anyone else on this board joined the NRA?

I've been a member of the NRA for about 20 years - 17 of those years I did not own any firearms. I believe that the Second Amendment is very important to this country and the NRA fights to protect that amendment from those who would destroy it.
About 3 years ago I purchased a 22 cal. rifle in order to teach my daughter the basics about handling a firearm. About 2 years ago I purchased a 40 cal.
semi-auto handgun to teach her and her mother how to handle and shoot it.
We all enjoy occasionally going to the range and shooting for fun.
BTW- I just renewed my membership for 2 more years.

Oh, I thought this was about the other NRA-- the Navy Reserve Association...

Oh, I thought this was about the other NRA-- the Navy Reserve Association...

Or the National Recovery Act.

I have been a member on and off over the years. I'm thinking about leaving them something when I die - if there is anything left.

I've been a member for about 15 years, and I have several friends and relatives who are also members. Most are either interested in recreational target shooting or hunting.

Some of them are a bit kooky, but it's got nothing to do with gun ownership or the NRA.;)

My only complaint about the NRA is the amount of money they waste in mailers trying to get me to renew my membership early.

Some of them are a bit kooky, but it's got nothing to do with gun ownership or the NRA.;)

My only complaint about the NRA is the amount of money they waste in mailers trying to get me to renew my membership early.

I'm kooky, too. Oh, wait, that's not what this is about. I'm a lifer. I've been a member since the mid '80s. I think shooting guns is fun. I am against hunting. The second amendment is not about killing animals.

Even though I've paid a small fortune to be a life member they still send me all sorts of solicitations and call me all the time. It's always some sort of financial/legislative emergency and they need more funds.

Mike D.

I'm kooky, too. Oh, wait, that's not what this is about. I'm a lifer. I've been a member since the mid '80s. I think shooting guns is fun. I am against hunting. The second amendment is not about killing animals.

Even though I've paid a small fortune to be a life member they still send me all sorts of solicitations and call me all the time. It's always some sort of financial/legislative emergency and they need more funds.

Mike D.

Which is one of the reasons i'm not a member.

I probably should join, pogirl and I both have concealed weapons permits.

DH and I are both NRA members and we both have our concealed carry permits. He is a collector and we both like shooting skeet and targets. We do not hunt animals but would not hesitate to shoot any intruder who makes it past the fences, dogs and locks. They could not be "accidently in our home."
I think it is a shame that the crimes of a very small percentage of the populace has the majority of people concerned about their safety in their own homes, cars and workplaces but that is why I wanted my concealed carry permit. I have had 2 instances where I was threatened while in my vehicle and took great comfort in that if I had been unable to evade the criminals I could have defended myself.
2fer

NRA - No

Hunt animals - Yes

i live in new york city? whats a concealed weapons permit? i never saw one of those ha ha ha

but then again we have license classes that dont even exist in state law. how about a residence permit where the state says you can't come out of your home with it, then the police commissioner gives you his own note with the permit that says this note lets yoou hunt or go to the range. the best is his note is expected to be valid and accepted thru out new york state even in localities outside the city limits. last few test cases courts said yep he can do that.

Personally, I'm kinda disappointed that more of us don't belong to the NRA than have responded--especially since this group voted heavily for "Shoot" (from the question Danny posed on what you would do if an intruder came into your home). I wonder why more of us have not joined:confused:
As for me, I just became a member--even tho I am in "we will never approve the right-to-carry" State of Illinois. I am so in favor of a right-to-carry that I felt obligated to join in order to support the NRA. In fact, my membership was a Xmas gift to me from someone who knew I believed in the fight.
Don't hunt but would target practice. I would use a gun to protect myself if I could carry one here like in Texas (where I was tested in a written and shooting test before being approved to carry).
Oh well...something like 36 States approve a right-to-carry last time I looked, and I won't be in this stupid State forever.

Guns

Guns are evil ... until you need one.

My Internet signature is from Benjamin Franklin, to wit: Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner -- liberty is a well-armed lamb disputing the vote!

Ah...how right you are, Grasshopper. My brother was in the Korean War. His neighbor in innercity Chicago used to go on and on and on about how horrible it was that he had a couple guns in his house...UNTIL someone was sneaking on her roof and peeping at her teenage daughters. THEN she couldn't run over to his house next door and beg him to get his gun fast enough. Does that qualify as a prime example?

NRA-ILA :: Fact Sheets

it is when its my daughter. ha ha ha

You wouldn't be much of a father or a husband if you were in prison and bankrupted.:D

...and there we have it, folks: the great pro-gun/anti-gun debate.

You'd have to be pretty old... the NRA was declared unconstitutional by the supreme court in 1935. ;)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that unconstitutional vote was strictly for federally run Washington, DC. It's my belief that the NRA is the 2nd largest lobbying group in America next to AARP.
NRA-ILA :: News Releases
The right to carry has grown over the past years to include many States that previously would not allow a right to carry. They had a crackerjack head attorney that really helped them push the issue (friend of mine), so the NRA is growing...not shrinking. The list of States with right to carry laws is growing.

Back
Top Bottom