Anyone here a member of the NRA?

Orchidflower said:
...and there we have it, folks: the great pro-gun/anti-gun debate.

I would never own a gun or guns because I do not trust my judgment and I don’t trust myself to always remember to lock up the weapons. Like many families, mine had a tragedy to drive that point home.... [a cousin].

Regarding your original post, Orchid, under different circumstances, I possibly would be an NRA member, after all my brother was a member and was a competitive sheet shooter and deer hunter. The community I grew up in had an expression for deer hunting: going "up north." It was a very positive term that really meant, "male bonding aided by alcohol during Thanksgiving week," thinning the deer population was a secondary concern.

Sometimes I forget what this culture is all about: Recently there was a fire in the next block. A guy was getting home just in time to see the firemen arrive and told them how much ammo he had in his apt. They evacuated the entire block.

The community I grew up in had an expression for deer hunting: going "up north." It was a very positive term

Back here in the flatlands, the expression is "Up Nort." ;)

While the term is usually applied to deer hunting, now that my buddies and I are older and less able to endure the rigors of a week in deer camp, we substitute a week of chasing walleyes around a northern Ontario lake in late spring or early summer. We seem to be able to get the same effect, eh?

It's not a substitute for the peace and solitude I can achieve alone (or sometimes with a buddy or DW) on a wilderness paddle, but it sure is a lot of fun. And these Up Nort trips generate a lot of advertures that morph into amazing stories told again and again at poker games all winter!

Back here in the flatlands, the expression is "Up Nort." ;)

Thanks for the laugh. :D My parents were transplanted city slickers and I never learned the correct pronunication.

West Coasters might compare the term to "going to the snow."

Back
Top Bottom