Are These Stove Flames Normal?

... Our propane comes from a tank in our side yard...

I remember reading about this story from a full-time Canadian RV'er.

She was heating her motorhome with an external tank. When it got really cold, she could not get the liquefied gas to evaporate to light her furnace.

The LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) is actually a mixture of propane and butane, with small concentrations of other hydrocarbons. Propane has a lower boiling point than butane. When it is cold, a tank of liquefied butane may not vaporize enough to have the same pressure as a tank of liquefied propane.

Is it possible that your tank has depleted itself of propane which vaporizes first, and you are left with mostly butane, which causes low pressure? And does your problem with the furnace happen mostly on colder days?

Last edited:
I remember reading about this story from a full-time Canadian RV'er.

She was heating her motorhome with an external tank. When it got really cold, she could not get the liquefied gas to evaporate to light her furnace.

The LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) is actually a mixture of propane and butane, with small concentrations of other hydrocarbons. Propane has a lower boiling point than butane. When it is cold, a tank of liquefied butane may not vaporize enough to have the same pressure as a tank of liquefied propane.

Is it possible that your tank has depleted itself of propane which vaporizes first, and you are left with mostly butane, which causes low pressure? And does your problem with the furnace happen mostly on colder days?
Good idea, but we had a recent propane delivery. Also, it doesn't get cold here.

I'd look at the tank and how lp is distributed to stove, water heater, furnace. Document every characteristic of distribution. Line sizes, couplings, and so on.

Is there any way you can start over? Similar to a computer reboot. Get a new tank, new fuel, blow out the entire system and restart every appliance. I know it sounds drastic but you need to get this resolved. The other thing is to find another propane expert. I believe your root problem is the fuel. Whether that be the quality of the fuel or the pressure or the system (various size pipes, etc.) something is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom