Are you a private person or a people person?

Social butterfly here...but I do have my limits! After a several HR convention a couple weeks ago, I had no interest in talking for a few days!
Almost feel guilty posting that on this board based on the other posts!
I think extrovert is warranted here-- the last thing any HR organization needs is a bunch of introverted sociopaths...

Private, and, here's the thing: getting more private as time goes by. Anyone else notice that? Perhaps I've just learned that I like quiet time alone, and allow myself more of it.

I think extrovert is warranted here-- the last thing any HR organization needs is a bunch of introverted sociopaths...

Oh - scary enough, there are a few of those!

Always amusing to be asked "where do you get your energy?" or "why are you in such a good mood?" (In my mind the answer is "because I retire in 9.5 years!!!") :greetings10:

Private, and, here's the thing: getting more private as time goes by. Anyone else notice that? Perhaps I've just learned that I like quiet time alone, and allow myself more of it.

I'm private, getting more private, and I have noticed a lot of people becoming more private. It seems like there are more ways to keep busy while alone-computers, ebooks, netflix, iPods, ipads, etc

I'm private. Definitely not a people person.

My sister is a total people person. She can hardly stand being alone. Networking/working a crowd makes her feel important. I used to feel like we clashed when we were together but now I've realized that when we are out together I let her take over the conversation and I only have to listen.

I've come to realize I have a low tolerance for small talk. Last tax season I worked for H&R Block and one of the new directives from the new CEO was that we should all take the first 2 minutes with the client and just talk about things other than taxes and their financial situation. This just about made my skin crawl. I could manage about 20-30 seconds before I felt really awkward. My office leader wanted to show me how to do this so he sat down with a client and asked all about his family, where did he meet his girlfriend, how did he end up in the local area. I just don't have it in me to make small talk look important.

I agree with Al, I'm liking my private time more and more.

I'm an ISTJ. I am fine being alone, but I also enjoy the company of others with two caveats.
  • I'm much more comfortable with folks I know than strangers, more reserved with strangers.
  • I much prefer a few close friends vs many friend-acquaintances. always have. A dinner/outing with 4/6/8 people is great. A gathering with 50-100 people is an obligation to me, usually one of the first to leave these events.
YMMV, as it should.

Having been retired for a long time I can take people in small groups (I can always leave).

ISTJ

I might enjoy going to a social function if I had someone to go with, but only if I had the option to politely depart from company of said someone afterwards.

Maybe terms should always be negotiated beforehand.

Is there any real difference between a private person and a hermit?

I think of myself as a private person. But when I haven't been out of the house for a couple of days, forget to shave, keep wearing the same blue jeans, pull the shades when I see the mailman coming, avoid answering the phone and that sort of thing, DW says "get cleaned up and get your sorry ass out of the house for a while you hermit!" And I do. I go down to the pub and talk to the guys about mean wives and how much guys deserve to be left alone to be private people.

i have always been shy and not a people person. now that i am retired it's me and the dog, no one else need apply. sometimes i don't leave the house for days. people tire me out, i'm exhausted after being with a small group of people for a few hours. one on one you'd be surprised i said what i did but more than 1 person and i wilt fast. INTJ.

Lena was talking with a friend and her husband, who asked whether we are coming to the local chamber of commerce Christmas party:

Lena: I'm coming but not Al.
Husband: Not Al? Why not?
Lena: He doesn't like to go to big parties.
Husband: You can do that [that is, choose not to go]?

INTJ, private. Like obgyn, I have a j*b that requires me to interact with people. Hey, I can work a room too! But it's w*rk. Left to myself, I enjoy my privacy. I have hosted fairly large parties and holiday dinners in the past, but have no desire to repeat the experience.

One advantage to being a physician is that you can bring your beeper with you and arrange to be paged. If the party sucks, "saving lives" is a great excuse to leave.

Yep, I'm a INTJ - one of the three Retire Early personality types listed on the Retire Early Home page site. Because of my career there have been numerous times when I've been required to be an extrovert, but I've done so because of circumstances, it is not my choice.

I'm a NPN, DW is a PNP :whistle:

I've only read some of the responses. I'm definitely an extrovert. Hmmm, does that mean that I'm doomed to not achieve FIRE anytime soon?

I've only read some of the responses. I'm definitely an extrovert. Hmmm, does that mean that I'm doomed to not achieve FIRE anytime soon?

Not at all! You can FIRE and have a wonderful time with other retired extroverts, having lots of fun socializing, having big dinner parties at one anothers' houses, playing bingo or softball, going on cruises with lots of organized activities aimed at extroverts, and so many more things that are an extrovert's delight. :D

Last edited:

Maybe, but you will be having lots of fun in the nursing home when you are old.

Not at all! You can FIRE and have a wonderful time with other retired extroverts, having lots of fun socializing, having big dinner parties at one anothers' houses, playing bingo or softball, going on cruises with lots of organized activities aimed at extroverts, and so many more things that are an extrovert's delight. :D

Thanks, W2R! The only caveat for us extroverts it to not spend all of our money on all the fun activities! Extroverts tend to be spenders, so if I am hanging out with other extroverts, I need to keep an eye on the wallet. :cool:

Thanks, W2R! The only caveat for us extroverts it to not spend all of our money on all the fun activities! Extroverts tend to be spenders, so if I am hanging out with other extroverts, I need to keep an eye on the wallet. :cool:

Finding free, fun activities that you could do with other extroverts does sound pretty hard to do. While you are thinking about it, you could organize a rotating potluck. :LOL:

Is there any real difference between a private person and a hermit?

I think of myself as a private person. But when I haven't been out of the house for a couple of days, forget to shave, keep wearing the same blue jeans, pull the shades when I see the mailman coming, avoid answering the phone and that sort of thing, DW says "get cleaned up and get your sorry ass out of the house for a while you hermit!" And I do. I go down to the pub and talk to the guys about mean wives and how much guys deserve to be left alone to be private people.
Yes—real hermits don't have spouses ;)

Semi-private. I´m rather shy, but mostly people bore me. Or, maybe I don´t know what to say to them. Anyway, more than 4 persons in a gathering ends up sending me into a sleeping/daydreaming/mind wandering mood. To the annoyance of my wife. She insists that good manners demans a constant smiling and attentive llok on my face.:(

Back
Top Bottom