Are you changing your strategy between December and January?

matjung

Recycles dryer sheets
Some people plan to change their strategy at the end of the year.
I am not married with my strategy. But I rarely change it between December and January.
Still I notice that a fair share of other investor seems to change its asset allocation.
How about you, do you make bigger changes in your strategy or asset allocation between December and January?

Also no.

If I make a change in strategy, it's because my goals have changed, or I have learned something, or a new law has gone into effect. And I implement such changes immediately unless there is a later effective date for a law.

Previously I would look at the end of the year and determine Roth Conversions. This January (Tomorrow) I plan on doing my Roth Conversions immediately based on my estimation for the total year. I believe the market will improve by the end of 2023, but I have been wrong before.

Last edited:
No why tweak strategies just because we are starting a new calendar year. I tweak strategies based on economic conditions, policy changes, and how I think it will affect the future economy. Signs are that the economy is still humming along so those looking for a Fed pivot will be disappointed so look for equities to continue to decline as the risk vs. reward will continue to favor fixed income for the time being.

I'm almost totally buy and hold index funds, so not even appropriate to this "active" fund forum. BUT I did change my strategy on individual stocks - of which I have only old Megacorp stock. For years, I've been selling Megacorp stock (held in 401(k)) to fund my RMDs. THIS year, since Megcorp has taken off (again) I decided to hold onto it and see if it would continue to grow - it has! Instead, I took from my GIF for RMDs. Next year (in a few weeks) I'll take my RMDs from my GIF (unless I change my mind.)

Well, with inflation having eroded a lot of my saving's purchasing power, and still running very high, my strategy is to work longer than I otherwise would have.

As far as investing, I would like to move some more of my fixed interest fund dollars into stock funds if they go low enough when the recession hits harder in 2023. I did some of that this year, but stocks didn't go low enough for me to go as far as I would like. The fixed interest fund used to pay 3% for about a decade, then suddenly started paying about half that.

Last edited:
No, pretty much same old thing year after year (queue Pink Floyd).

I generally withdraw my annual amount every January and rebalance what remains. This year I am doing the same, and buying quite a bit of equities which doesn’t happen often.

I'm not planning on changing my AA, but I am planning on changing what is in both the stock and bond portions of the AA. I have gotten rid of a Emerging Market Index fund and will probably replace it with USA Total Market Index fund.

Other than the bonds held by Vanguard Wellesley I have no long, medium or short term bonds in a mutual fund. I think I have hit a point where I will invest in bonds for income only, holding them to maturity. (Sure, if I get a big gain in a bond I would probably take it, but I am not aiming for capital gains in bonds. )

I'm becoming a less aggressive investor. I was typically 100% in equities even 3 years before retiring when I was warned how dangerous that was. Since retiring, I've varied from 70/30 (rarely) and mostly 60/40 and 50/50 over the past several years. I'm thinking of keeping my IRA mostly in fixed income as rates are sweet and it allows for RMDs without any issues and no concerns about the dividends. My taxable account will be the Total Stock (mostly) and a small amount in the Total International Stock Market Index mutual funds with cash or T bills in the Settlement Fund. Those 2 equity MFs are tax efficient and I am trying to reduce taxes. When the markets offer a nice buying opportunity, I can buy more Total Stock Market Index in either or both the taxable and IRA. My AA at 40/60 would not be too conservative now but to be honest my AA has always floated and I never stuck to it closely varying it as I moved into or out of equity/fixed income. I just don't want to be doing that like I have been and that's why I say I have become more conservative at this point, age 72.

Some people plan to change their strategy at the end of the year.
I am not married with my strategy. But I rarely change it between December and January.
Still I notice that a fair share of other investor seems to change its asset allocation.
How about you, do you make bigger changes in your strategy or asset allocation between December and January?

My strategy has been pretty consistent since the 2008 crash. I went into 2008 with a typical "boglehead portfolio", i.e. Total US stock market, and a little in Total Foreign stocks and Total US bonds.

I learned from 2008 that the boglehead strategy is not for me. After that I transitioned to a focus on dividend growth and generating cash flow. Which I have stuck with since then.

I do track my total return and benchmark against the S&P 500. I have either kept pace with the S&P 500 or beaten it every year in total return, but I do cheat. In bull markets I use modest leverage and I have been incorporating options more and more, each year.

In 2023 I am going to start adding money to TQQQ and UPRO (3x leveraged Nasdaq 100 and S&P 500 etfs) in anticipation of a better 2024.

Well, this was my first year of retirement, and it's been a learning experience to say the least. I had a lot of mess to clean up (still do); and paid a lot of taxes (and still will.)

I don't have a set asset allocation at this point. I was high in equities during the majority of my working years, but built up a cash cushion pre-retirement with an eye towards conversions. The cash cushion actually came in handy. I sold most of my bond funds in the late spring (I should have sold them in January) and replaced them with short term treasuries. I also bought short term treasuries in lieu of most of my cash holdings. I ditched some expensive poor performing funds this year and tax loss harvested. My Roth conversions (and taxes) came mostly from cash, although I converted a few shares of funds in kind.

I will be looking at converting a higher percentage of stock than cash from my traditional IRA this year, and may front load the conversions - now that I learned about the withholding/60 day rollover combo on this board. I will try to do a combo of dollar cost averaging conversions in kind (yeah weird I know) and "buying" conversions in kind on the dips. (This can be a bit difficult, as I did not convert my favorite fund, i.e. healthcare, but converted some poorly performing growth funds, international and broad-based stock index fund.)

I will look into reallocating a portion of the divvies in taxable accounts come the second quarter.

My downfall is financial junk food. I don't "eat" much of it, but I do from time to time. A pharma that goes nowhere, an organic farm hanging on by the skin of its teeth, and rare minerals whom no one seems to want . . .

I keep the same strategy year after year and only review it when my life circumstances change. Fortunately, I found out when I was young that chasing returns doesn’t work and read about modern portfolio theory. I stick with it so I don’t need to constantly think about investing and can waste my time worrying about other things.

I have no plans to change.

I would add that those who do, due to the current market conditions, have not found an AA that suits their comfort level. It is normal for some to adjust their AA as time progresses and their needs change. Market driven changes are not part of that IMO.

I am a believer of staying the course and have learned from my experience to make no or minimal plan changes. However, I am keeping more cash in fixed income accounts as it comes in.

I do a structured investment plan review every 5 years. This isn't one of those years, so no.

That said, more tactically, I will get back into longer duration bonds at some point this year. But that's a small move within a consistent, documented, longer term strategy.

I am not married with my strategy
I'm renewing my vows. I did very well investing actively in 2022, but had a really bad week where I believed in Santa Claus. Er, I mean the Santa Claus rally. Physical exhaustion played a role, but I should have made less dramatic moves and decided based on data.

It looks like the market has more mistakes planned for 2023, which means I have to keep investing actively. Time for another year of being a "sell and hold" investor.

No

I am buying a house so somewhat larger withdrawals.

Back
Top Bottom