are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward work?

Re: are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward w

Reaching FI has allowed me to put up with the BS at work. Things that used to bother me, no longer do. Knowing that I can walk out the door on my terms and still make it easily in ER, has taken a load off my shoulders.

brewer12345 said:
My response to increasing net worth is a bit different. I have become far less tolerant of BS and far more willing/able to take higher risk, higher reward jobs.
Brewer
Higher reward I can see but how do you define higher risk?
PN

Re: are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward w

wheel9 said:
Reaching FI has allowed me to put up with the BS at work. Things that used to bother me, no longer do. Knowing that I can walk out the door on my terms and still make it easily in ER, has taken a load off my shoulders.
I would have said the same thing for me. What used to aggravate me doesn't much any more. I let the others get on the tread mill. I don't feel I have to show off my expertise since my outlook is a lot shorter now so career isless of a concern. Also I used to stree about economic condition and possible layoffs. Not any more.
Well anyway now I am an incorporated consultant so I don't need to feel quite part of the "team" anymore. (And if necessary I can loudly voice that I am not and avoid some of the more useless meetings. :D)

perinova said:
Brewer
Higher reward I can see but how do you define higher risk?
PN

I went from working at a place famed for underpaying but just about never laying anyone off (and with a bbulletproof business) to working for a 10 person outfit undergoing an ownership transition.

Mr._johngalt said:
Stress and worry will kill you Spanky. Remember, in the long run we're
all roadkill. That's always been a comfort to me.

JG
JG,
You are right - in the end, it really does not matter. Meanwhile, enjoy the journey.
Spanky

brewer12345 said:
I went from working at a place famed for underpaying but just about never laying anyone off (and with a bbulletproof business) to working for a 10 person outfit undergoing an ownership transition.
OK for a while I thought you became a sky diving instructing or something of the sort. :D
Yes small outfit are probably a lot more unstable. I would try that for a better financial reward too but they don't always pay more start-ups even have a financial risk/reward system with stock options in lieu of higher salary.

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
I think maybe people cause their own cages and need to change the way they think...I have learned to let the small stuff not be a big deal

My favorite singer once said: "You gotta get to know your cage, stress points, corrosive age. The keeper's hours throughout the day; his habits, weaknesses and ways."

eric said:
My favorite singer once said: "You gotta get to know your cage, stress points, corrosive age. The keeper's hours throughout the day; his habits, weaknesses and ways."

I like that.... ;)

Well, I'm not 50% there, but I got the mortgage paid off and a nice little nest egg growing quickly. Even without being 50% there, just knowing that I am not at their mercy, not living payday to payday, makes me much less willing to take any grief from dingbats. Feels great! Life without a mortgage...gotta love it. :D

Hi
I think that although my attitude has changed. It hasnt changed enough to say its taken away my stress. In some ways it makes it worse cause I can see the light at the end of the tunnel . Then I think the bumps may set me back a few or a lot of years.
Rob

I'll be at the half way mark in another 1.5 years. I think what helped me the most was putting an Excel Spreadsheet together to plot my path. I'm two years into the nine year plan.

The spreadsheet lists out how much money is going into which accounts. I've included where to beef up the savings as time goes on. It's amazing how much it has helped me. I don't have to reinvent the wheel every time I get a pay increase.

The other thing is that all my savings is automated except for the Roth.

I wish I could improve my attitude towards work. I don't hate it but I don't get much enjoyment from it anymore. I've been doing IT work for 25 years and the thrill is gone.

-helen

Back
Top Bottom