Arthritis in hands

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW is 63 and her hands and fingers are giving her the fits. Any ideas or advice is appreciated.

Volteran Gel (prescription) and lidocaine lotion works wonders. Volteran is both a topical pain reliever and an anti inflammatory--and it's some great stuff.

I agree w/everything Bamaman said, except it’s Voltaran

Oops, my bad. I just double-checked and it's actually Voltaren. It only works for 4 hours or so, but it is effective for short periods.

I also take Meloxicam pills once per day.

My mother has hand arthritis. She was having to wear a hand brace. I got her some Hemp CBD creme and her hands are MUCH better. She no longer has to wear a brace. She says the CBD creme is much better than Voltaren.

Last edited:
I can’t personally comment on pain but I have weak hands from another disease.

Dycem which can be found on amazon is very helpful with opening things

I also have the quite expensive black and decker lid opener

If tying shoelaces is difficult locklaces ( also found on amazon) are helpful

She probably doesn’t need them but I have signature stamps with my first name and full name as writing is hard

An OT consult might be helpful

My mother has hand arthritis. She was having to wear a hand brace. I got her some Hemp CBD creme and her hands are MUCH better. She no longer has to wear a brace. She says the CBD creme is much better than Voltaren.

No reason she cannot use'em both--for even more relief.

My wife's also taking CBD oil, but has found they vary in strength. She's found a brand that actually tastes like peppermint. She's also easier to live with when she takes a couple of droppers a day.

I have arthritis in my left thumb only. Fortunately not my whole hand because the thumb pain is bad enough. Voltaren does nothing for me. CBD cream does nothing for me. The only thing that relieves the pain for me in wrapping my hand up in my heating pad.

I have hand arthritis as well. My fingers are gradually bending. My mother had an extreme case. I have to say, my condition improved after FIRE. Perhaps less typing.

I asked my GP about it, and she (a no-nonsense type) told me, "Fingers retain a great deal of functionality even when they look bad."

The Arthritis Foundation, arthritis.org, has tons of information and resources.

I *try* to flex my fingers at stoplights.

Technology is helping and I need to take more advantage of it. Dictation software (the purchased type, not the free google speech to text) is nearly perfect now. I own it but don't use it. Voice controls is something to be mindful of if fingers deteriorate.

No reason she cannot use'em both--for even more relief.

My wife's also taking CBD oil, but has found they vary in strength. She's found a brand that actually tastes like peppermint. She's also easier to live with when she takes a couple of droppers a day.

What brand and specs, Please.

I have arthritis in several finger joints, and increasing joints as the years go by.
I also use CBD oil oral and a THC cream when painful. I talk with the workers in the dispensary, they have been really helpful in finding the right combination that works.
BioFreeze helps some.
Keeping my hands warm works well, and I try to do flex/extend exercises daily.

I have celiac. One of the many symptoms I get when I ingest gluten is my finger joints hurt. Everyone is different so that may not be your wife's issue but I thought I would put it out there.

Voltaren gel is one of the very useful things I've learned about here (there have been so many!). Just learned yesterday that it is now available OTC in the US (without a prescription).

DW has arthritis and she likes it very much for her hands and feet. In the past I used to pick up a couple of tubes whenever I visited Canada :hide: but it's nice to finally have the FDA agree that it's just a normal drug in the same category as aspirin. :clap:

I think the Rx form of Voltaren gel is stronger than the OTC. My orthopedist was full of warnings when he prescribed it for my shoulder. Don't use more than the recommended dose (use the dosing card), wear gloves or wash hands immediately after applying (of course that wouldn't be necessary if you are using it ON your hands), can get into the bloodstream from skin absorption (so use same cautions as with other NSAIDs).

Incidentally, it never did much for my shoulder, but Mr. A. has arthritis in his feet and it does help him a bit. If it's good for toes, it should be good for fingers!

Voltaren gel is one of the very useful things I've learned about here (there have been so many!). Just learned yesterday that it is now available OTC in the US (without a prescription).

DW has arthritis and she likes it very much for her hands and feet. In the past I used to pick up a couple of tubes whenever I visited Canada :hide: but it's nice to finally have the FDA agree that it's just a normal drug in the same category as aspirin. :clap:

Meloxicam is the greatest, but when my shoulder was killing me, my GP acted like I was asking him to prescribe heroin. He says Meloxican is psychologically addictive, and over time will damage the liver and kidneys.

I will say that it was partly fear of these things which drove me to the orthopedic surgeon physical therapist; and over time, PT did help. Yes, I do have arthritis in my right shoulder. It is plain on the Xray. However, the orthopedic surgeon (who gave me the PT prescription) said it was the amount he expected to see in someone my age, and that many people live with even more arthritis and not as much pain. He really emphasized engineering: correcting my posture and strengthening specific muscles.

Oops, my bad. I just double-checked and it's actually Voltaren. It only works for 4 hours or so, but it is effective for short periods.

I also take Meloxicam pills once per day.

Last edited:
When I stopped working they got quite a bit better. I would look closely at activities to see if something specific is aggravating them. When they’re really bothering me now I wear those hand compression gloves at night and they seem to help. I bought a pair on the larger side so they’re just mild constriction

When I was working I went to a hand OT and had custom plastic splints made they really helped. They don’t last forever though

CBD lotion seems to help. Last night my knee were bothering me from standing on cement cleaning the garage, I used some before bed and slept well. I’m amazed

I only have right thumb arthritis. Problem caused by an injury several years ago. Had several ultrasound treatments that seemed to do some good. But the minor pain and stiffness always comes back.

My 90 year old mother had very painful hand arthritis, use to have to wear a splint on her hands. She tried everything--physical therapy, Volteran, heat, cold, etc. Finally I got her some CBD cream. It has been a miracle for her hands. She uses a tiny bit on her hands as needed --no more splint or pain.

can get into the bloodstream from skin absorption (so use same cautions as with other NSAIDs).

I am glad to hear it is available OTC in the USA.

I read one article on Votaren and it said that with a normal dose of it on an aching joint about 4% gets in to the blood stream. Compared to taking a NSAID pill that seem very low. Here's another article:

https://www.pharmacistanswers.com/articles/is-voltaren-gel-absorbed-systemically

The following is reported based on pharmacokinetic studies of the drug:

• Systemic exposure with Voltaren Gel (4 x 4 g per day) is,on average, 17 times lower than with oral treatment (i.e. only 6%) of diclofenac sodium.
  • Systemic exposure with Voltaren Gel (4 x 12 g per day) is, on average, 5 times lower than with oral treatment (i.e. only 20%) of diclofenac sodium.
  • The average peak plasma concentration with the recommended use of Voltaren® Gel (4 x 4 g per day applied to 1 knee) is 158 times lower than with the oral treatment.

Back
Top Bottom