Asphalt Top Coat - cost effective?

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Years ago I read am article that claimed the black asphalt top coat people put on their driveways is not cost effective. Just save the money for future repairs.

Any thoughts on the value of a top coat?

We've done it in an apartment parking lot. Spruces it up for a couple years, and if you stay on them they will fill the cracks with tar, which may help a bit. Think the "slurry" is more like thick paint. It will look better, and maybe put off re-paving for a few years, but it's not a fix.

My asphalt driveway is 14 years old and holding up just fine. I resurface it with the top coat every 4 years. Can't buy the real good stuff, I hire a guy who puts down two coats for $750. I have a large driveway;200' x 12' at minimum.

Mostly cosmetic, but sealing cracks to minimize moisture getting into and below the asphalt is beneficial. Larger cracks need real crack filler, not just the thin topcoat.

I just got 2 estimates of $475 labor and materials for my driveway which is 950 sq ft. It barely lasts 4 years for the gel/slurry. The commercial driveway guys spray a thin sealer that doesn't last as long but it seals pretty good. These quotes are causing me to DIY even though I swore I would not do it again myself. Most neighbors here have similar longevity but a few have never top coated in 20 years. They look crappy but some are in good shape while others seem like they will need total replacement.

For what it's worth, a top coat on my driveway would cost around $350. After its done like my neighbor has done by a company it's eye popping improvement. It would stand out if one put the house up for sale.

Top coat is cost effective, especially crack filler. Crack filler and sealer to a lesser extent prevent water from permeating into the asphalt.

At my former job, we prepared plans and specs for school parking lot/ roadway projects to include annual maintenance. Done annually, these projects minimize expensive maintenance and replacement.

I live in a small condominium community - only 8 units, and one central driveway. We're over 20 years old and have re-sealing the driveway on a 5 year schedule. The vendor we used fills cracks, resurfaces, and seals. He told us maintenance like this should be 5 years.

- Rita

I just got 2 estimates of $475 labor and materials for my driveway which is 950 sq ft. It barely lasts 4 years for the gel/slurry. The commercial driveway guys spray a thin sealer that doesn't last as long but it seals pretty good. These quotes are causing me to DIY even though I swore I would not do it again myself. Most neighbors here have similar longevity but a few have never top coated in 20 years. They look crappy but some are in good shape while others seem like they will need total replacement.

Top coat is cost effective, especially crack filler. Crack filler and sealer to a lesser extent prevent water from permeating into the asphalt.

At my former job, we prepared plans and specs for school parking lot/ roadway projects to include annual maintenance. Done annually, these projects minimize expensive maintenance and replacement.

It would be interesting to see the numbers on that.

I just threw a SS together, but my numbers are just SWAGS. But I assumed $10,000 to replace, and $200 for an annual seal-coat. Assumed it would last 15 years w/o annual seal-coating.

If my formulas are correct, it seems the seal-coat would need to extend the life from the 15 year norm, an extra 7 years, and take it to 22 years. Will it do that? Are those numbers realistic?

Formulas are:

Annual cost = (Replacement cost / years of life w/o maintenance)

$10,000/ 15 = $667

Annual cost = (Replacement cost / years of life with maintenance) + annual maint cost

$10,000/ 22 + 200 = $655

-ERD50

I live in a small condominium community - only 8 units, and one central driveway. We're over 20 years old and have re-sealing the driveway on a 5 year schedule. The vendor we used fills cracks, resurfaces, and seals. He told us maintenance like this should be 5 years.

- Rita

What does "resurfaces" consist of? But I'm guessing a good thorough job every 5 years is more cost effective than a basic seal-coat every year or two. But I dunno.

-ERD50

It would be interesting to see the numbers on that.

I just threw a SS together, but my numbers are just SWAGS. But I assumed $10,000 to replace, and $200 for an annual seal-coat. Assumed it would last 15 years w/o annual seal-coating.

If my formulas are correct, it seems the seal-coat would need to extend the life from the 15 year norm, an extra 7 years, and take it to 22 years. Will it do that? Are those numbers realistic?

Formulas are:

Annual cost = (Replacement cost / years of life w/o maintenance)

$10,000/ 15 = $667

Annual cost = (Replacement cost / years of life with maintenance) + annual maint cost

$10,000/ 22 + 200 = $655

-ERD50

I may have mis-represented that the maintenance was performed over the entire campus annually. It wasn't. Bigger schools would do a few parking lots and roads a year. Then other areas the following year. Same thing the next year. It may take 3 or 4 years between maintenance work for each area. I can't remember prices, but we spec'd out l.f. of crack fill and s.f. of seal. Plans showed the limits.

At home, I paved my driveway around 1995. 2" asphalt IIRC. I have it crack filled and sealed once every 2 or 3 years. 770' long, 10' wide. I pay $700 to have it done. I do have some alligator cracking that will require a longer term solution. Either remove/replace or an overlay.

I pay $75 every two years to perform seal coat in my asphalt drive way. Looks great like new and keeps cracks to very minimum.

What does "resurfaces" consist of? But I'm guessing a good thorough job every 5 years is more cost effective than a basic seal-coat every year or two. But I dunno.

-ERD50

Clean all dirt and moss from the driveway, seal any cracks, apply 2 coats of industrial sealant.

- Rita

Back
Top Bottom