Auto insurance discount

Dash man

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We’ve been using the USAA Safe Pilot app for the past six months. It tracks our driving and phone distractions and provides a discount of up to 30% for using it.
We just got out semiannual renewal and it saved us 27% or $422 dollars off of our policy premium! I love it? DW not so much. She wants perfection at 30%. [emoji23]

What about GPS use on the phone?

Is that considered a distraction?

Handling the phone, phone calls and hands free calls will cost you points that will reduce your discount. GPS by itself won’t penalize you if set up prior to driving. If you’re handling the phone while driving, obviously it will. I can listen to and reply to text messages using my car’s connection to the phone with no points lost.

USAA SafePilot user here too. I'm looking forward to my 17% discount starting 11/1.

I was doing pretty well except for a cross country trip where we used the phone a lot for directions, and on that trip we apparently had a lot of "phone handling" events. I *think* they were mostly done by the non-driver, but I got dinged nonetheless. Oh well.

I'm hopeful that I get a clean slate on 11/1 and can work on a better discount for the next six months.

I like the fact that even if you're the worst driver ever, USAA gives you a 10% discount minimum (30% maximum) just for having and keeping the app on your phone.

USAA SafePilot user here too. I'm looking forward to my 17% discount starting 11/1.

I was doing pretty well except for a cross country trip where we used the phone a lot for directions, and on that trip we apparently had a lot of "phone handling" events. I *think* they were mostly done by the non-driver, but I got dinged nonetheless. Oh well.

I'm hopeful that I get a clean slate on 11/1 and can work on a better discount for the next six months.

I like the fact that even if you're the worst driver ever, USAA gives you a 10% discount minimum (30% maximum) just for having and keeping the app on your phone.

My son’s wife is keeping them down to a 13% discount. She drives between locations and is on the phone a lot for her work while driving. They’re glad they at least get some discount.

Does the app differentiate between phone use by the driver and phone use by a passenger? If so, how does it know the difference?

Can the app tell the difference between being in your own vehicle, or a different vehicle?

I'd hate to take a hit for using my phone if I wasn't driving at the time.

I've been very curious and seriously considering this as I'm a pretty boring driver -especially now that I'm fired. Questions for you:

Does interfacing Apple Car Play count as "using your phone" -I have my car read text messages occasionally and stream music podcasts.
How does the app know when you are a passenger? I'm skeptical and don't want to get dinged using it when not driving.
Does it compare your speed to speed limits?... there are a few roads here that the speed limit is dangerous as it is much slower than the average traffic speed.

I have read that the app dings you for handling the phone whenever the car is on even if parked, can you confirm (I think that's BS). I spent 45 minutes parked on I95 for a fatal accident and the phone kept me sane and allowed me to replan my trip (engine was on because it was 95º outside).

Thanks!

I've been very curious and seriously considering this as I'm a pretty boring driver -especially now that I'm fired. Questions for you:

Does interfacing Apple Car Play count as "using your phone" -I have my car read text messages occasionally and stream music podcasts.
How does the app know when you are a passenger? I'm skeptical and don't want to get dinged using it when not driving.
Does it compare your speed to speed limits?... there are a few roads here that the speed limit is dangerous as it is much slower than the average traffic speed.

I have read that the app dings you for handling the phone whenever the car is on even if parked, can you confirm (I think that's BS). I spent 45 minutes parked on I95 for a fatal accident and the phone kept me sane and allowed me to replan my trip (engine was on because it was 95º outside).

Thanks!

As long as you’re not handling your phone or making calls, I haven’t gotten any infractions.
How it determines if you’re the driver or passenger is a mystery to me, but it’s about 90% correct. You have the ability to change it to passenger or driver after the trip if needed.
I’ve stopped to make or take a call several times and never get an infraction when doing so, but I’m always pulled off the road and in park. I don’t use it if stopped at a traffic light or heavy traffic.
CarPlay is not an issue if you’re not handling the phone.
The app details says speed and miles driven are factors, but you don’t receive infractions.

There is a three week “practice” period when you first sign up and start using it.

You initially get a 10% discount. The higher discount kicks in with a policy renewal and can be as high as 30%. This requires all people on the policy to participate.

I have the State Farm equivalent. Seems very similar to what OP mentions except speed does cost you. More than 7 over dings you. Hard breaking or fast acceleration hurts you score as well as distracted driving. Mileage over 7500 a year will reduce your discount. Most people would fail miserably. I just got my first discount after the initial sign up. I don't know the percentage but my premium went down to around $184/6 months for full coverage of a $25K car which seems pretty good to me.

What happens if you just leave your phone home?

Does the app differentiate between phone use by the driver and phone use by a passenger? If so, how does it know the difference?

Can the app tell the difference between being in your own vehicle, or a different vehicle?

I'd hate to take a hit for using my phone if I wasn't driving at the time.

For USAA Safe Pilot:

Yes, it claims to, and to some degree is able to differentiate between whether you are driving with your phone or whether you are a passenger with your phone.

How does it know? I don't know, and I'm not able to figure it out, and USAA didn't know when I asked the front line CSR.

I do know that it's algorithm isn't perfect, as sometimes my driver vs. passenger categorization on a given drive has been incorrect. But I also know that it's pretty good and gets it right most of the time.

It cannot tell which vehicle I am driving. Since it's a "safe driver" discount, I'm OK with my driving performance in vehicles which are not my own counting towards my discount.

What happens if you just leave your phone home?

For State Farm you sign paperwork that says you agree not to do that. Also, they call you once a quarter to get an official odometer reading to see if it matches the app. If there is a big difference they can require you to send a picture of the odometer reading or give up the discount program. Basically you agree to have your phone with you and have data and bluetooth on any time you are driving your vehicle. Can't agree to that then don't sign up for the discount program.

For State Farm you sign paperwork that says you agree not to do that. Also, they call you once a quarter to get an official odometer reading to see if it matches the app. If there is a big difference they can require you to send a picture of the odometer reading or give up the discount program. Basically you agree to have your phone with you and have data and bluetooth on any time you are driving your vehicle. Can't agree to that then don't sign up for the discount program.

USAA SafePilot is different. You agree to keep it on your phone, but you're not required to have your phone with you when you drive and there are no odometer checkups. I think if you uninstall the app you probably lose the discount.

If you drive without your phone, then that trip doesn't count - either for or against. I think that most of us drive fairly consistently, so as long as USAA has a large enough and recent enough sample size, the discount given will be in the right ballpark.

Interesting stuff. I have heard the adverts for this type of thing but the real-world experience is interesting.

1) Discounts from what rates? Are these companies competitive on their base rates?

2) State Farm sounds pretty hard to deal with. Not a surprise to me, I guess. I insured with them briefly because a friend was an agent, but was not impressed. I generally avoid tied agents because their loyalty is to their company not to me.

1) Discounts from what rates? Are these companies competitive on their base rates?

It seems clear to me that it's a discount in addition to any other discounts from their base rates. I get a number of other discounts with USAA: being on automatic payment, my good driving record, being a long time member, having multiple USAA products, and having a good payment record.

I used to shop my insurance every year or two like all the personal finance articles recommend. After a while I gave up because nobody could beat USAA's rates. I'd even get cut off before getting a quote sometimes - "Oh, you have USAA? I'm not even going to bother working up a quote for you then."

When I did shop, I would always just compare pricing based on the actual bottom line for my situation. I don't care what part is base rate and what is discount.

I get a number of other discounts with USAA: being on automatic payment, my good driving record, being a long time member, having multiple USAA products, and having a good payment record.

I have six separate discounts on my USAA bill:
  • Anti-theft
  • Automatic payment
  • Daytime running lights
  • Multi-car
  • Passive restraint
  • Premier driver
Together they add up to more than 26% of what the bill would be without them.

And I also quit checking other companies because nobody could ever beat the rate I pay USAA. Occasionally I would get a lower quote but reading the fine print the coverage was always less than what I have.

That doesn’t make sense to me to check the odometer. We have three different cars and occasionally rent a car if traveling. The two of us move between cars, and family sometimes borrows our Outback. The odometer reading will never match our actual driving.

I have my insurance through my local AAA afilliate. They insure through CSAA (run by the Northern California AAA).

For some reason I can never get >97% on phone use and I absolutely never touch the phone when driving (including hands free). I can only assume it's dinging me when I pick up the phone to exit the vehicle.

It also dings me for excessive acceleration and deceleration when entering and exiting one of our freeways, which being built in the 1960's has short and steep on and off ramps. I suppose it can't distinguish between acceleration due to an increase or decrease of velocity and the acceleration of gravity on the steep ramps, which of course add together.

Time of day counts. When I go to the gym at 6am on Saturday and Sunday mornings, it dings me for going at a dangerous time of day, even though on weekends the traffic is very light.

It also measures length of trip and a few other factors. My score is in the high 80's so I do get a discount but I am really thinking of just paying extra at renewal and doing without it as I find the monitoring extremely irritating.

This thread got me interested in giving the USAA SafePilot program a try. Just signed up DW and I for the program. New rule for whoever is driving the car: DO NOT touch that phone!

Interesting stuff. I have heard the adverts for this type of thing but the real-world experience is interesting.

2) State Farm sounds pretty hard to deal with. Not a surprise to me, I guess. I insured with them briefly because a friend was an agent, but was not impressed. I generally avoid tied agents because their loyalty is to their company not to me.

I know that State Farm was quite a bit cheaper than what I was paying with American Family and that is before this new discount. I can't say how USAA compares to State Farm but i'm happy with State Farm where I pay $184 for 6 months coverage on a new $25K car.

I know that State Farm was quite a bit cheaper than what I was paying with American Family and that is before this new discount. I can't say how USAA compares to State Farm but i'm happy with State Farm where I pay $184 for 6 months coverage on a new $25K car.

A price paid for insurance means nothing without context, meaning what coverage you have. My discount was $422 using USAA Safe Pilot. Like many here, we keep high liability limits required by umbrella insurance, plus many other options from medical coverage to towing and rental car coverage, not to mention number of cars.

A price paid for insurance means nothing without context, meaning what coverage you have. My discount was $422 using USAA Safe Pilot. Like many here, we keep high liability limits required by umbrella insurance, plus many other options from medical coverage to towing and rental car coverage, not to mention number of cars.

I'm just a single person, single vehicle with normal full auto coverage. Regular price would be around $230 every 6 months. Minus 10% for the automatic discount for the program plus another 10% for being a good driver gives me 20% off the regular price. My agent said he gets 18% off and that is around normal.

Back
Top Bottom