Automobile Start/Stop Systems

I'm not looking forward to getting a vehicle with this "feature". Mostly as just reading about it reminds me of my crappy cars I had in my 20's - 30's. They would shut off at times while I was driving, or turning LEFT !!
Sometimes they would be very reluctant to start again... :(

I love this feature on my Equinox. There is no mechanism to turn the feature off. Using heat and AC does prevent the engine from stopping as often. There is no noticeable delay when the engine restarts.

I'm not looking forward to getting a vehicle with this "feature". Mostly as just reading about it reminds me of my crappy cars I had in my 20's - 30's. They would shut off at times while I was driving, or turning LEFT !!

My thoughts and experience too. When/if I go shopping for a new pickup truck, if there is no factory method or aftermarket hack to turn the stupid feature off that is going to be an absolute deal-killer.

I'll be heading down to CarMax rather than put up with that foolishness.

Wonder who had the right of way in this wreck?

Some collisions are bigger than others. :LOL:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2018/astronomers-unveil-growing-black-holes-in-colliding-galaxies

My thoughts and experience too. When/if I go shopping for a new pickup truck, if there is no factory method or aftermarket hack to turn the stupid feature off that is going to be an absolute deal-killer.

As I mentioned, many people complained about the start stop feature on the Highlander forum and a guy there who is an electronics whiz designed up a circuit and had it mass produced overseas, which he sells on eBay for $65. It is a plug and play design with the right snap together connectors. Someone from China evidently ordered one and is already selling a knockoff clone. So, I'd be surprised if this option doesn't become common for popular vehicles like chip kits and other accessories. There are so many conditions where the start/stop is deactivated that there are a lot of opportunities to hack it.

My rental this week has start/stop. I had to make a left onto a busy road from a side street, going quickly from the brake to the gap, and detected a little pause. I verified at the next light that it did cut off. Mostly I didn't really notice it, but when I pulled into a parking spot on the street, and decided to nudge forward a little bit it jumped a bit when I left off the break--not much but enough to make me nervous that I was going too far and would hit the car in front of me. I'd probably get used to it driving it regularly, but I don't see that I'd have much use for it in my normal driving.

My BMW three series has it. I don't mind it at all – any lag effect is so small I don't notice it (the engine restarts when I take my foot of the brake). However, my wife hates it. Fortunately, you can disable it with the push of a button.

It bothered me a lot at first, but I got in the habit of turning it off whenever I started the truck. Simple on off button. Now if I forget, it doesn’t bother me that the engine shuts off every now and then. Far less annoying than our new kitchen faucet that turns on by itself when I put something in the sink.

None of my cars have it, and no loss for me. When I have had a rental or other car with it I do no like it.

On the wear issue, that is not a concern since it is a warm start and only been a couple minutes at most. So there is plenty of oil film at start and the oil immediately is pressurized and flowing once it starts up. It is on cold starts where the oil has drained off parts all night where the startup wear is of concern. The starter may wear out sooner than a non-auto start/stop car has just because of increased use i suppose.

... The starter may wear out sooner than a non-auto start/stop car has just because of increased use i suppose.

The starter is a different design. Should be able to stand up just fine.

-ERD50

I have it and hate it too. I live in a winter climate and use the heated seats and steering wheel and don't want another option that drains the battery so I disable it every time I get in the car. I also spend so little time in stop and go traffic that the yearly savings can't be much more than a few dollars....I'd rather pay those dollars and have less wear and tear on the starter.

I hate it. My 2015 Mercedes has a button to shut it off. Thank God. Also have a 2018 GMC Terrain as a beater to haul stuff / dog to Florida. No off button!!! The delay on it is horrible and when it does click on it’s a loud clunk and the car will lurch forward. Better pay attention if you are behind a car at a light.

I hate it. My 2015 Mercedes has a button to shut it off. Thank God. Also have a 2018 GMC Terrain as a beater to haul stuff / dog to Florida. No off button!!! The delay on it is horrible and when it does click on it’s a loud clunk and the car will lurch forward. Better pay attention if you are behind a car at a light.

A 2018 GMC Terrain as a "beater"? Wow! :)

Back
Top Bottom