Average gas price $6.20/gal by end of Summer

Yesterday the prices at many of the gas stations in town were down to $4.69. Quite a change from a couple of weeks ago. So far none of this is making sense to me. Demand should be up in this state with all the tourists that are coming in for WDW, the multitude of vacation destinations, and beaches. Not complaining but it doesn't seem to affect vacation travel for people coming to the state. I'm just glad I don't live in the direct flow of traffic heading south.

Cheers!

I actually noticed gas prices yesterday when I was out driving my EV ha ha. And they have come down here too. $4.14 was typical. I think it had reached $5 here a few weeks ago.

I think a lot of this was simply how oil futures work. They can be very volatile and seriously overshoot at times.

Last edited:
WOW! Price is dropping here it is still going up. Here in Mt, Dakotas & Wyoming we are the last to see these events and the last to see the change. It seems that way with trends and life in general. Maybe we will see some relief from these over inflated fuel prices now since the south has started to see some decrease in price.

Last edited:
What surprises me personally is that, even though I can afford the higher prices, I make decisions based on the high prices. I drive less and even try to car pool when there is opportunity to do so. I guess it's now in the DNA or maybe it's just cheap-old-man syndrome. YMMV

LBYM is a habit just as safe driving is a habit. The day will come when your habit will keep you from squandering a lot of money or getting in a bad car accident. Maybe it already has.

LBYM is a habit just as safe driving is a habit. The day will come when your habit will keep you from squandering a lot of money or getting in a bad car accident. Maybe it already has.

True that. Although Koolau has professed love of fast cars.

Does Mrs. Koolau always have veto power over Mr. Koolau?

We've actually "granted" each other such veto power for large expenditures. YMMV
+1. That works best for us. Without that agreement, an arms race could ensue?

H: I just bought a fast car.
W: Great, I'm happy for you.
--- next day ---
W: Sweetie, we're going on an Alaska cruise. OK with you?
H: (sheepishly) Yes Dear...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 1.51.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 1.51.56 PM.png
    390.5 KB · Views: 26
I actually paid $3.999 yesterday on the way home from FL at Sam's club in Savannah GA. 6 days prior on trip down had stopped there and paid $4.099 which was a nice find. In FL it was $4.50-4.60 mostly.

Also paid $4.299 in Corbin KY for gas stops both directions on the trip. Current typical price around home Cincinnati is about $4.90 range. So it has come down from highs that reached $5.10s.

There was still a lot of traffic, no evidence that higher gas prices are limiting the volume of vehicles on the road.

Around here three of the largest fuel sellers, Circle K, Quick Trip, and Fry's (Kroger) have their fuel priced at $5.54 to $5.59. Costco is ~$5.15 (but I wouldn't wait in line for it).

A few weeks ago I noticed that an ARCO station was converted into a Union 76 station. The new rebranded station is selling gas at $5.15, same as Costco, with no line. I filled up there. I also noticed that there are now several Union 76 stations with gas going at $5.09 to $5.19. I suppose they are discounting to draw attention to the new rebranded stations.

$3.99 today in MS at a small country store near me. Cars are lined up. But the norm is $4.27 for regular.

Who would have thought $3.99 for gas was ever a bargain?! What have we come to? YMMV

Who would have thought $3.99 for gas was ever a bargain?! What have we come to? YMMV
I know. If we can't cheaply drive an F350 as a commuter vehicle, just hauling air, it just ain't right. After all, we are Americans.

Driving from the east coast to Wyoming right now, and have seen regular mostly around $4.79-$4.99, except on the Illinois turnpike where the service plazas were nearly $6. (And no, I did not fill up at any service plazas!)

Driving a packed to the gills car westward into strong headwinds is not doing well on gas mileage. I got 40mpg in my Escape hybrid going through the slow traffic of central Maryland and then the rollercoaster of the Pennsylvania turnpike, then about 33mpg in Ohio/Indiana/Illinois, and am now under 32mpg in the flats of Minnesota.

Drove through New Jersey this weekend. The NJ Turnpike prices were over $5/gal, but a few minutes off the turnpike we found stations selling for as low as $4.71/gal.

Gas prices in Italy: $8.00 for 2 liters. That's $16/gallon. Just saying if you plan to visit this summer.

Gas prices in Italy: $8.00 for 2 liters. That's $16/gallon. Just saying if you plan to visit this summer.

I am seeing rental rates of $1800 and higher for 1 month, and climbing.

Compared to that, fuel cost is a minor expense, given that European cars are gas sippers.

italy has the highest Gas tax in the EU, and probably the world. $1.50/2 Liters, not even including 20% VAT tax on top of it.

I know Italy (and much of the Euro Continent) is well served by rail but prices like that would be likely to kill even local business - not just the car business. It's true that raw fuel prices are up, but those prices sound like half taxes to me. At some point, you kill the goose that laid the golden egg. YMMV

There was still a lot of traffic, no evidence that higher gas prices are limiting the volume of vehicles on the road.

+1

I have never seen the volume of traffic, at all times of the day, that I have seen recently here in metro Atlanta. It's almost exactly as if gas prices were at historical lows (not highs) right now, considering how many people are out driving, everywhere, all the time. It's mind boggling.

Back
Top Bottom