Banking & Investments - One Stop Shop

madatrub

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi All,

Been a lurker here for years. Real quick question: What does everyone use for managing all of your money?

DW and I feel like we have money spread out all over the place, separate 401ks (Can't do much about that), but 2 separate banks, multiple trading platforms (TDA/Fidelity), multiple ESPP companies, Treasury Direct, etc

What do you all use to try to consolidate some of these accounts going into retirement? Its becoming unbearable to manage for us.

Thanks!

We consolidated everything at Schwab and all equity into one fund. Very liberating.

BANK CASH, 05% (3 banks and Discover, will consolidate to 2 banks)
SCHWAB, 15% (fun stuff)
SCHWAB IRA, 25% (consolidated 401k's)
SCHWAB S/D, 02% (inherited)
ANNUITIES, 03% (going to cash this year and next)
VANGUARD, 38% (my SEP and 2 Roths)
EQUITABLE, 12% (will rollover to SCHWAB or Vanguard)

That's six institutions, but will be just 4 in a year or two.

I like to keep a few things separated.

All investments at VG
All banking at USAA (transaction processing)
CCs not connected to our bank.

Major Bank: checking and small savings acct, Visa CC
Credit Union: saving acct./Visa CC
Investment company: brokerage and IRAs

Try to keep it as simple as possible

Bank of America/Merrill Lynch for 99% of our stuff. One stop shop.

Pro: Good to have it all consolidated in one place and take advantage of the full relationship benefits
Con: Get aggravated at the "soulless" experience and the politics of BofA

We currently are using Fidelity as a one-stop-shop - with the exception of credit cards at numerous places. Used to have cash at Ally, but spent a lot of it and moved the rest to Fidelity where it's MM fund (SPRXX) is approaching .50%. Fidelty's CMA account works very well as a main checking account.

We currently are using Fidelity as a one-stop-shop - with the exception of credit cards at numerous places. Used to have cash at Ally, but spent a lot of it and moved the rest to Fidelity where it's MM fund (SPRXX) is approaching .50%. Fidelty's CMA account works very well as a main checking account.

CMA? Can you write checks and bill pay through Fidelity?

I moved my account from Morgan Stanley to Fido when I found out they
were charging me $175 to maintain the account.

I moved DW's account from UBS to Fido because UBS was a PITA to get anything done. In the process, I switched her out of some funds with ER's.

CMA? Can you write checks and bill pay through Fidelity?
I think that's pretty common. I have checking at Schwab Bank. They have bill pay, free transfers between internal and external accounts, debit card with all ATM fees reimbursed worldwide and no Foreign Transaction Fees. They have no-cost overdraft protection, too, where they will draw from the cash balance in a taxable brokerage account. They also offer an Amex card but I don't carry one because mechants hate them and many won't even accept one.

Fido is probably more or less the same. This is a petty competitive market.

I think that's pretty common. I have checking at Schwab Bank. They have bill pay, free transfers between internal and external accounts, debit card with all ATM fees reimbursed worldwide and no Foreign Transaction Fees. They have no-cost overdraft protection, too, where they will draw from the cash balance in a taxable brokerage account. They also offer an Amex card but I don't carry one because mechants hate them and many won't even accept one.

Fido is probably more or less the same. This is a petty competitive market.

thank you! and thanks to all!

Fidelity for us.

Cash Management Account: checking, bill pay, instant free wires out, great places to stash cash, great online interface, refund all ATM fees.

2% cash back credit card: love it.

Brokerage: one of the best

401k is also there.

Fidelity brokerage, plan on closing bank accounts soon & moving everything from that bank over to Fidelity as well.

Will keep smaller accounts & SDB at the large state credit union that I've had for 30+ years.

Brokerage, banking, credit card - Fidelity. Super easy and powerful consolidation.

With banking I'm concerned about consolidating and being over the FDIC insurance limit. If you hold money in a personal account and in a revocable trust account where you are both trustee and beneficiary, do you have two separate entities, each protected up to the $250,000 FDIC insurance limit?

We had everything at our bank pre retirement.

We were not happy with the fee for service investment advice, the advisors (too much change, too inexperienced, did not listen, etc). We were not happy with the bank service change and interest rates. We were not happy with our broker either.

So we fired both. Consolidated our investments, shopped for a new investment advisory firm. Ten years later...very happy should have done it sooner. Took us six months or so to shop until we both agreed on the firm and and the person.

The bank...now we only have a seniors no fee cheque account. Low balance. All HISA funds kept in a high interest internet bank. And a bank safe deposit box. Even dropped the banks credit card offerings. Prior to that....low interest rates, high S/C's.

I use B of A for cash, Merrill Lynch for equities and Fidelity for bonds.

Also a Treasury Direct for I Bonds.

Schwab for IRA, ROTH, Brokerage account, brokerage account checking......38 consecutive years of great service.

PenFed for 2% CC, small savings account.

JP Morgan Chase for local checking (free because I am a veteran).

ALLY for SS auto deposits and MM checking.

Treasury Direct for I bonds.

All stock investments, MYGA's at Fidelity.

We consolidated everything at Schwab and all equity into one fund. Very liberating.

we did the same thing only at JPMorgan. all IRAs and post-tax investments. we kept our three consumer bank accounts as is.

Last edited:
we did the same thing only at JPMorgan. all IRAs and post-tax investments. we kept our three consumer bank accounts as is.

How do you like Chase banking?

We currently are all in at Fidelity, but we do have Chase credit cards which we'll have for a few more years. Just trying to figure out if I want to go back to a B&M local bank for any local banking needs that Fidelity can't deliver.

Fidelity for us.

Cash Management Account: checking, bill pay, instant free wires out, great places to stash cash, great online interface, refund all ATM fees.

2% cash back credit card: love it.

Brokerage: one of the best

401k is also there.

I never considered that an investment company like Fidelity could take the place of a major bank, until I read the many responses here of people doing all their banking this way. I have a Roth IRA, traditional IRA, brokerage account, and HSA at Fidelity and a physical branch 5 miles away. One feature I really enjoy from my major bank is their mobile app where I can deposit a physical check electronically by using my cell phone’s camera. Does anyone know if Fidelity offers this service?

... physical branch 5 miles away. ...
I'm a happy camper at Schwab, but their brokerage branches will not take cash deposits but will take checks. If this type of thing is important to you I'd suggest checking with the branch to see what banking chores can be done there.

... One feature I really enjoy from my major bank is their mobile app where I can deposit a physical check electronically by using my cell phone’s camera. Does anyone know if Fidelity offers this service?
Schwab has it. I'd be astonished if Fido doesn't have one too. Or will soon.

We do everything out of fidelity - including bill pay, credit card, atm.

I have no interest in a one stop shop. I use the financial institution that is most beneficial for each service.

Back
Top Bottom