Bare Root Tree Planting Question

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Okay, tomorrow I'm going to pick up my bare root trees I ordered. My question is would it be okay to plant these tree with frost coming in the next few days? I'm not sure that mid twenties for a few nights would hurt them but just wondering if I should wait or plant them?

Any help expertise advice would be welcomed.

Bare root would still be dormant. Should be fine IMO

I don't know about trees, but with bare root roses you soak the roots in water overnight. If you're doing that with the trees, maybe someplace warmer, like the garage?

Bare root would still be dormant. Should be fine IMO

That is what I would say also. I can't imagine a few nights in the mid to upper 20's will hurt them.

I will soak the roots for about a half day then plant them. I also will snip the very ends of those roots before I stick them in the ground.

We did 400 to 500 tress not to many years ago and was told to snip the ends of the roots. Those trees do very well under very poor conditions. Not contributing all the success to that processes but sure didn't hurt to have done that.

Agree with advice given. They should be good to go and the sooner in the ground the better as it will be much warmer than the air if frost temps predicted.

Got them planted today at the ranch. I will water them from a crick that runs along side of where I planted them. The ground is very poor in the west and wildlife is always an issue. I did install a high fence sloping outward so will see if that works. I have not had good luck with wildlife before from destroying trees.

Attachments

• IMG_4338 (2).jpg
    IMG_4338 (2).jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 19
... I have not had good luck with wildlife before from destroying trees.
Deer are a big problem where I live. Any new tree I plant gets a 4-5 foot high wire fence around it to keep the deer from eating it. This wire cage only needs to be a foot or two in diameter, although larger is better. I don't mind if they eat any side branches, the goal is to give the growing leader a chance to get above deer browse height.

^ Thanks. I do have an 7 to 8 foot high fence angled outward around this tree nursery. I'm hoping this helps. I can build a fence around this high fence if I start having any issue.
They say that building two fences and angling outward really helps them from eating the trees. I don't thing it will help with the moose but we will see. In spring and winter they can be a problem also.

I've put chicken wire around and over small trees when planting a few, to keep the deer and rabbits from them. With a wooden stake on each side to anchor the chicken wire.

OP - as I recall you have quite a bit of land, why are you planting trees ? What type of trees ?

^ Juneberry and Black Currents. I have very old wild native berry trees and bushes that have grown wild in wooded draws and along crick beds. These old trees are seeing there age. I want to get some new growth established. I pick a lot of wild berries each year and freeze them and use through the years.

The other reason is all these wild berries are in rough country and climb up and sideways to reach these patches of berry's. As I get older it is getting harder to get where I need to get. When these berry's are ready to pick you need to pick each day for a couple to 3 weeks or the wildlife and birds get them first. So these hard climbs and hard to reach spots is tough to do each day for days on end.
So now I'm hoping I can just go pick on level ground and in mostly in one spot.
It would kill me if I didn't have my wild berry and they are so good.!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom