Barely Use Cell Phone

It's nice not owning one. Not having to be connected to people all the time is priceless. :dance:
I don’t get this either. I’m not connected to people all the time and no such obligation came with the phone. I rarely get calls. Texts are infrequent. The cellphone is purely for my personal convenience, not other people.

I use mine constantly as a PHONE. I CALL people when their name pops in my head. I CALL people back after they text me.

I see too many retired people become reclusive home hobbits. Society is "talk averse".

Life is about relationships. Talk helps build relationships..

I use mine constantly as a PHONE. I CALL people when their name pops in my head. I CALL people back after they text me.

I see too many retired people become reclusive home hobbits. Society is "talk averse".

Life is about relationships. Talk helps build relationships..

I use mine as a phone too! I hate to text and so do my old, retired, fat fingered friends, so we CALL each other to talk, you know, just like the good old days. It actually works quite well if you try it!:LOL:

I CALL people back after they text me.
I'm curious. Do you text first to ask if they are free and want to talk?

I often text people because I'm not able to talk at that moment, or I'm not sure if they are. Texts and emails are perfect because the recipient can read it and respond to it at their convenience.

I do get annoyed when people try to use texting to replace conversations. Texts are great for quick communication or to convey info to multiple people at once. They aren't so good for involved conversations. "Do we need milk?" is fine. "What do we need at the grocery store?" is not so simple.

I prefer sending telegrams.

I have a good friend who is currently in the hospital in Boston (I'm in NJ). I love that I'm able to text her periodically to check in, she how she's doing, and lighten her day a bit. I would never call her because I don't know if she's awake or sleeping, with a doctor, out for a test, having a meal, in pain and not up to talking, etc.

Conversations are great but many times texting is superior.

Just curious on this point: Do you have an iPhone or Android smartphone?

I use Android. When I change models, it usually when I stopped getting Android updates and some apps start complaining "the app is no longer supported on this level" :). The change has rarely been to the same smartphone vendor, as I look for the best deal at the time...

I'm also on Android, but my most recent upgrade was from a Pixel 5 to my current Pixel 7 Pro, both in the Google ecosystem.
The automatic installation process copied over all my apps and contacts and even setup the home screen and two additional screens on the 7 similar to what I had on the 5.
Seems like the automatic process took over an hour, but I have quite a few apps.
Then just a bit of customizing and I was good to go.

Sounds like changing to a new phone between other Android vendors doesn't go quite so smoothly?

Another "what do people without a cell phone do" moment.

My home airport, MCI, just opened a big, fancy new terminal (old ones will be razed- this one serves everyone) and pickup is based on a "cell phone lot". Right now people are still pulling up to the exit and waiting for arriving passengers who may not even have their bags yet. Some are leaving their cars and walking into the terminal. They've announced they'll start towing today.

Apparently EVERYONE picking up passengers is supposed to wait in the cell phone lot till the person they're picking up arrives, retrieves their checked bags and calls them. Heavily dependent on cell phones and people being considerate.

My home airport, MCI, just opened a big, fancy new terminal (old ones will be razed- this one serves everyone) and pickup is based on a "cell phone lot". Right now people are still pulling up to the exit and waiting for arriving passengers who may not even have their bags yet. Some are leaving their cars and walking into the terminal. They've announced they'll start towing today.

Apparently EVERYONE picking up passengers is supposed to wait in the cell phone lot till the person they're picking up arrives, retrieves their checked bags and calls them. Heavily dependent on cell phones and people being considerate.
MCI (Kansas City) was sort of my home airport back in my HS/college days as well.
Those semicircular terminals were the latest great thing back in the day: less than a fifty foot walk from your dropoff vehicle to your gate!
But then came increased security and the TSA. 😡

Ok, back to Why Cell Phones are Indispensable...

This has been true at PHL for over 20 years, since 9/11. You can't just wait at the curb and you certainly can't leave your car unattended. Cops walk back and forth all day to move people along. I'm surprised there are airports that still allowed that.

Having a cell phone has been helpful when making airport pick-ups of my ladyfriend, as she flies out of town about once a year. But the usefulness of cell phone parking lots is iffy, depending on the airport, terminal location, time of day, and weather conditions. Also, my ladyfriend has had trouble getting around on foot the last 18 months so my being inside the terminal to meet her is crucial. Even so, having the cell phone helps us find each other inside the terminal, especially an unfamiliar one such as one of those recently redone ones at New York's LaGuardia Airport..

In 1998 My DW and I were about to go on vacation in Fla. Our DD had a cell phone and came to our home the day before we were to leave and gave it to us to carry just in case we needed it for emergency. We didn't have to use it but she was happy we had it. She would ask ocasionaly if we had decided to get us one for ourselves, nope we were fine. Then I took over a store in a town 45 min. away. One evening after getting off I got on I75 and made it 6 miles up the road and my car quit. I ended up hiking back to my store and called my daughter who lived 10 miles farther down the road. My sonin law came to get me and we pulled my car home with a chain (crazy I know) so we could repair it. I went that weekend to the cell phone store and got a flip phone for "emergency" only, cheapest plan they had. Ohh and back then I got a phone with a number for a town between where I was working and my home town because it wasn't long distance to either my home town or Kennesaw where my daughter lived at the time. Ihave ported that number many times because it wasn't too long after I got it that all long distance for cell went away.But now like most I use it for a lot of things. I really like the hotspot feature so we can watch tv in the camper when we can't get local stations on the antenna, & while we travel out DD can see where we are and vice versa We can see where they are. I have decided that they are a neccesary tool for good if used correctly.

It's nice not owning one. Not having to be connected to people all the time is priceless. :dance:

My cell phone is for my convenience, not the convenience of others. You are under no obligation to immediately respond if you don't want to. It's no different than not answering a land line when it rings.

In 1998 My DW and I were about to go on vacation in Fla. Our DD had a cell phone and came to our home the day before we were to leave and gave it to us to carry just in case we needed it for emergency. We didn't have to use it but she was happy we had it. She would ask ocasionaly if we had decided to get us one for ourselves, nope we were fine. Then I took over a store in a town 45 min. away. One evening after getting off I got on I75 and made it 6 miles up the road and my car quit. I ended up hiking back to my store and called my daughter who lived 10 miles farther down the road. My sonin law came to get me and we pulled my car home with a chain (crazy I know) so we could repair it. I went that weekend to the cell phone store and got a flip phone for "emergency" only, cheapest plan they had. Ohh and back then I got a phone with a number for a town between where I was working and my home town because it wasn't long distance to either my home town or Kennesaw where my daughter lived at the time. Ihave ported that number many times because it wasn't too long after I got it that all long distance for cell went away.But now like most I use it for a lot of things. I really like the hotspot feature so we can watch tv in the camper when we can't get local stations on the antenna, & while we travel out DD can see where we are and vice versa We can see where they are. I have decided that they are a neccesary tool for good if used correctly.
That's another great feature of the cellphone that I forgot about.
My daughter drove from California to Idaho alone a couple of years ago in her 10+ year old car and as her mother I was freaking out which is why she never told me till she was well on her way. To appease me, she sent me a link to track her location and I basically spent most of the day watching to be sure the car kept moving. I was so grateful to be able to keep an eye on her and we use this feature a lot.

I'm also on Android, but my most recent upgrade was from a Pixel 5 to my current Pixel 7 Pro, both in the Google ecosystem.
The automatic installation process copied over all my apps and contacts and even setup the home screen and two additional screens on the 7 similar to what I had on the 5.
Seems like the automatic process took over an hour, but I have quite a few apps.
Then just a bit of customizing and I was good to go.

Yes, this mirrors my experiences. I went from a Pixel 2XL to my Pixel 5a with no problems whatsoever. Also did my wife's Pixel 2XL to her Pixel 6a with no problems. In both cases I had to configure our third party email program, Blue Mail, separately, but had we stuck with Gmail the transition would have been seamless.

Sounds like changing to a new phone between other Android vendors doesn't go quite so smoothly?

The Google transfer wizard nowadays is pretty good. Even with going from Apple to Android. Sure, there might be a couple of things that need to be addressed but it's not a gigantic hassle like it used to be.

Last edited:
If you're traveling communication with people back home is free as long as you have WiFi. All airports and hotels have it, as well as most restaurants. All you need is a cell phone.

We have used "Life 360" for the past 3 years. Our 3 kids, my parents and my wife's dad all on it. With kids away at college, it has been extremely valuable.

People can certainly use their phones less, but what a powerful device in your pocket.

Have this at the Minneapolis airport as well. It is the height of convenience. I use FlightTracker on my phone to track the incoming flight to determine ETA. I then drive to the cell phone waiting lot and park. This lot is about a half mile from the terminal. The person I'm picking up texts me when the plane pulls up to the gate to disembark. I wait ten minutes then drive to the arrivals area where the person is waiting for me. If I time it correctly, usually they are waiting less than a minute. Parking in the cell phone lot is free. I've never been sitting there for longer than 20 minutes.

Have this at the Minneapolis airport as well. It is the height of convenience. I use FlightTracker on my phone to track the incoming flight to determine ETA. I then drive to the cell phone waiting lot and park. This lot is about a half mile from the terminal. The person I'm picking up texts me when the plane pulls up to the gate to disembark. I wait ten minutes then drive to the arrivals area where the person is waiting for me. If I time it correctly, usually they are waiting less than a minute. Parking in the cell phone lot is free. I've never been sitting there for longer than 20 minutes.

The cell phone lots are great. Sure beats the old days when you had to pay to park in the lot and then trek to the terminal to wait for the person because you had no way to communicate. This way it’s free and you just drive up and get them when they’re ready.

The cell phone lots are great. Sure beats the old days when you had to pay to park in the lot and then trek to the terminal to wait for the person because you had no way to communicate. This way it’s free and you just drive up and get them when they’re ready.

Yes, and while you are waiting in the cell phone lot you can play with your cell phone. Win-win!

(Not that I'm addicted or anything...)

Back
Top Bottom